Complex Numbers and Conjugates (1 Viewer)

_luke_

HSC
If you have an equation that is true, if you take the conjugate of both sides is it also true?

For example, take z to be an imaginary number.

az^2 + bz + c = 0

Now the question asked to prove this true for the conjugate of z. Am i justified in doing this?

Also, are there any other 'tricks' you can think of straight away in regards to complex numbers?

Thanks.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
If you have an equation that is true, if you take the conjugate of both sides is it also true?

az^2 + bz + c = 0

Now the question asked to prove this true for the conjugate of z. Am i justified in doing this?

Also, are there any other 'tricks' you can think of straight away in regards to complex numbers?

Thanks.
All statements that are true where the imaginary unit exists, remain true when all instances of the imaginary unit are sign-flipped.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
All statements that are true where the imaginary unit exists, remain true when all instances of the imaginary unit are sign-flipped.
That's a bit risky to say, e.g. Im(i) = 1 is true. When we flip i to -i, we get Im(-i) = 1, which is false.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

az^2 + bz + c = 0

Thanks.
In general, no. Usually, you have to add in a fairly strong condition in order for a property to hold for both Z and Z conjugate.

For your above statement, we need A, B and C to either be all real and/or all equal in order for equation to also work for Z bar.

Excluding statements that require the use of the Imaginary Extraction Operator.
What is this 'operator'? I have not heard of such a thing before.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
@Original question

Yes, you can take the imaginary conjugate of both sides of an equation.

However, in this case a direct proof is simple enough:

Note that we've assumed a, b and c are real, and only used elementary properties of complex conjugates. (Thanks for the correction, FrankXie :p)

Late edit:
If you conjugate both sides, you're going to end up doing the same thing I did above, but backwards.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)