Getting ahead in MX2 (1 Viewer)

frog1944

HSC
Hi,

I'm currently in year 11 and I'm wanting to do MX2. I've heard it is very difficult so I thought I should start learning aspects of it, or things that would help me a lot for MX2. I love maths and doing maths is hardly a chore and more of something I do for the fun of it! So going ahead isn't me pushing myself harder, it's just putting my love of maths to something that would help me.

What topics are the hardest? (if there is not something that everyone struggles at, is there a common struggle?)

Is there any topic that takes up the majority of the course? (like integration as you do both integration and volumes (which involves integration))

What should I start looking into/learning?

Thanks

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Hardest topics are harder extension 1, mechanics and volumes (I think but definitely harder extension 1 and mechanics)

I heard complex numbers is time consuming

If you wanna learn it, I recommend you go to a tutoring place for learning 4U earlier than everyone else. Go to a place like Ngo and Sons where they teach you 4U in year 11 (they actually taught complex numbers in year 10 and are now up to polynomials I think...)

The thing is extension 2 maths is ridiculously hard and scales high, even it's hard to self learn (apparently)

If you wanna start learning 4U, then get a private tutor to get you up to speed then transfer to ngo and sons, but if you wanna self learn it then watch eddie woo

frog1944

HSC
Ok, I plan on being self taught (until year 12). Is there any thing else I should do to get ahead in MX2?

si2136

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I'm currently in year 11 and I'm wanting to do MX2. I've heard it is very difficult so I thought I should start learning aspects of it, or things that would help me a lot for MX2. I love maths and doing maths is hardly a chore and more of something I do for the fun of it! So going ahead isn't me pushing myself harder, it's just putting my love of maths to something that would help me.

What topics are the hardest? (if there is not something that everyone struggles at, is there a common struggle?)

Is there any topic that takes up the majority of the course? (like integration as you do both integration and volumes (which involves integration))

What should I start looking into/learning?

Thanks
Make sure you get into 4U first

redjnr

HSC
Ok, I plan on being self taught (until year 12). Is there any thing else I should do to get ahead in MX2?
- make sure you can understand and apply calculus well -> will help a lot with integration and mechanics
- worthwhile to review polynomials, curve sketching and trigonometry before starting mx2
- PAST PAPERS when studying for 4u exams

Not much else you can do now imo, unless you want to start learning complex numbers. but dont think it will give you that much of an advantage

fluffchuck

HSC
Hey guys,

The year 11 class for Ngos and Sons are currently up to Conics (already completed complex numbers and polynomials) so it may be too late to join unless you're willing to catch up on lots of work and theory.

frog1944

HSC
Ok, thank you very much everyone. I think I'll have a look at calculus for the integration, mechanics and volumes and look at complex numbers.

Mach_1

HSC
Hey guys,

The year 11 class for Ngos and Sons are currently up to Conics (already completed complex numbers and polynomials) so it may be too late to join unless you're willing to catch up on lots of work and theory.
Is graphing counted as conics.. they r different topics.
Anyway the friday class at kurt just started complex numbers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
There are heaps of Ngo and Sons students coming to my school and they pay alot of attention to 4u stuff they they disregard 2u and 3u in school and thus failing..

Mach_1

HSC
There are heaps of Ngo and Sons students coming to my school and they pay alot of attention to 4u stuff they they disregard 2u and 3u in school and thus failing..
Ironic isnt it? Guess thats the same with me.

leehuan

HSC

They're different...

fluffchuck

HSC
Nope, they do it after Conics I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

WTF already??? I thought they were still up to Polynomials tf

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Different topics, conics is the proving of graphs e.g. hyperbolas and stuff and graphing is 4U graphing (e.g. ellpises)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
It's prelim, shouldn't matter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)