When should i start studying for 4u maths? (1 Viewer)

Stateranklol

HSC
I'm currently in year 11 towards the end of term 2, i know many people have started 4u maths in year 10 or 11 and others start going hardcore in the christmas holidays, just wondering what you guys did and when i should start studying to get a high mark.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I'm currently in year 11 towards the end of term 2, i know many people have started 4u maths in year 10 or 11 and others start going hardcore in the christmas holidays, just wondering what you guys did and when i should start studying to get a high mark.
depends on how much study and understanding you have for 2u and 3u
do the first half of 3u and it'll give you a taste of complex algebra

you can start with 4u any time really tho, depends on how much understanding you have for the basic stuff
e.g. for graphs its fairly easy, just know how to transform curves
polynomials requires base understanding of 3u poly
complex numbers is just pure understanding, requires understanding of base 3u poly
conics is just more complex 3u parametrics
volumes is fairly easy, just algebra and integration
integration is the hardest besides mechanics and harder 3u imo

to get a perfect understanding, what i would've done was study 2u maths in y10, touching on a bit of ext1, then start 4u mid prelim

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
depends on how much study and understanding you have for 2u and 3u
do the first half of 3u and it'll give you a taste of complex algebra

you can start with 4u any time really tho, depends on how much understanding you have for the basic stuff
e.g. for graphs its fairly easy, just know how to transform curves
polynomials requires base understanding of 3u poly
complex numbers is just pure understanding, requires understanding of base 3u poly
conics is just more complex 3u parametrics
volumes is fairly easy, just algebra and integration
integration is the hardest besides mechanics and harder 3u imo

to get a perfect understanding, what i would've done was study 2u maths in y10, touching on a bit of ext1, then start 4u mid prelim
Okay I am very tempted to take 4U right now lol

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
ASAP

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Oh i thought you were year 10 my bad.

Yea what Drongoski said, start studying ASAP if you know you're going to do 4U.

leehuan

HSC
honestly feel free to

studying early will give you a feel of 4u and whether you'll like it or not.
Can you please let him focus on the 3U and other stuff he's doing right now?

Clearly there's no point in rushing into 4U when the precursor content is causing difficulty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC

Clearly there's no point in rushing into 4U when the precursor content is causing difficulty

I suggested him to have done at least half of 3U (which gives you a general idea of complex algebra). I gave suggestions on each topic and the understandings (I think) needed for starting a topic.

Clearly he feels motivated to want to start 4U, so why not? He never specified he was bad at 3U, I never told him to rush into 3U, and only start it if he's proficient and understanding the content well.

"I'm very tempted" sounds like he's pretty much ticked the criteria of knowing most things of 3U so I assumed.

I mean, graphs you don't even need to know that much of 3U, but mainly understandings for coordinate graphs.

I also want to add for OP, even though its great to be ahead for 4U, unless you're accelerated you don't need to invest even 40% of your time in it. Understanding how to do basic questions and the content is enough until when you are actually doing 4U.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Leehuan

After all the advice I was given I think I know where I'm heading

Also Progidyinspired was giving me advice and giving me an insight into 4U

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)