How to think in extension 2 maths (1 Viewer)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
So I heard extension 2 maths is all about thinking as opposed to extension 1 maths which is about "doing". Before "doing" in extension 2, you need to "think" first

Even though it's a bit early to ask this, how does one "think" in extension 2 maths?

I heard most of the time, students get tricked and end up in a traps of all sorts because they don't think thoroughly

integral95

HSC
The harder questions in Ext 1 encourage that sort of approach as well (maybe to distinguish between the Ext 2 peeps and "only" Ext 1 )

And by thinking critically, for example you might have to figure out the best method or the best formula/identities , you could end up actually getting an elegant solution rather than just bashing out stuff and potentially going nowhere or getting into something really messy.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Whatever happened to that post on: Maths in Focus question on a man walking on a straight road and wanting to know the height of the tower given its angles of elevation from 2 positions ???

Sorry to insert this inquiry here!
Which forum was it in?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
The harder questions in Ext 1 encourage that sort of approach as well (maybe to distinguish between the Ext 2 peeps and "only" Ext 1 )

And by thinking critically, for example you might have to figure out the best method or the best formula/identities , you could end up actually getting an elegant solution rather than just bashing out stuff and potentially going nowhere or getting into something really messy.
Really, I thought in 3U you were given everything so just use that to solve wheras in 4U you aren't therefore you need to think in order to be on the right track

leehuan

HSC
Really, I thought in 3U you were given everything so just use that to solve wheras in 4U you aren't therefore you need to think in order to be on the right track
You're not given all the geometry theorems and etc.

integral95

HSC
Actually even in 2U math has these kinds of problems.....(the last questions of course)

They just be like "prove this" without giving any hints.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Just curious: What raw mark is required for a 80 hsc mark in 4u?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)