Quick question regarding sketching the reciprocal (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
When reciprocating, local max become local min and vice versa.

Do increasing horizontal points of inflexion remain increasing? Or do they become decreasing.

Edit: Still need confirmation on if this holds in general please. Using GeoGebra I have found that the HPOI does reverse for y=x^3+1

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
When reciprocating, local max become local min and vice versa.

Do increasing horizontal points of inflexion remain increasing? Or do they become decreasing.

Edit: Still need confirmation on if this holds in general please. Using GeoGebra I have found that the HPOI does reverse for y=x^3+1
Let's say f is twice continuously differentiable and let y = g(x) := 1/f(x). Then assuming f(a) =/= 0, we have g'(a) = -f'(a)/(f(a)^2). So sign of g'(a) = – (sign of f'(a)).

So anywhere where f would be increasing (f'(x) positive in a neighbourhood of a), g would be decreasing. So increasing places become decreasing.

Note g"(a) = [-f"(a)*(f(a)^2) + 2*f(a)*(f'(a)^2)]/[f(a)^4].

At a point of inflection a for f, we have f"(a) = 0. But in general this won't force g"(a) to be g"(a) = 0 (it would if it were a horizontal point of inflection).

So the point a may not even be an inflection point for g.

Edit realised you said "increasing horizontal points of inflection". I'd missed your horizontal part because when you said increasing, I automatically thought you meant the slope being either positive or negative at the point.

In the event a is a horizontal point of inflection, then, as said above, g"(a) = 0. Additionally assume f is increasing in some neighbourhood of a, so f'(a) is positive either side of a (positive in some open neighbourhood of a). But I'm not sure yet whether this forces a to be a point of inflection for g. Need to go now but you can investigate this further. I think it should be able to find an example where it's no longer a point of inflection. Try finding one so that g"(x) fails to change sign about a (or equivalently the numerator of g"(x) does, since the denominator is positive). If g"(x) fails to change sign about a, then a won't be an inflection point for g.

In Summary

It's relatively easy to show that g = 1/f will be decreasing where f is increasing, but I'm not sure whether horizontal points of inflection are necessarily preserved under the reciprocal transform.

Edit 2: actually, since a is a POI, f'(x) would maintain sign about a, so so would g'(x), making it a POI for g too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)