levels of ability in mathematics extension 2 + teachers please read (1 Viewer)

AusHam

HSC
Im a qualified secondary school mathematics teacher who is interested in teaching mathematics extension 2

Recently, I went to the MANSW lectures run by someone from Sydney Grammar (who taught the subject brilliantly). One question I asked him was what is considered an average 4 unit student mark. From what he told me, if a student is achieving 60% in the BOSTES exam they are considered average, but 40% or less then the student should consider dropping the subject altogether.

As teachers, should we show that we can achieve at least 70% of the questions in the BOSTES exam or is 50 to 60% acceptable?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
In general, ideally, a teacher in any subject should be an expert in that subject. Teaching Ext 2 Maths is quite challenging; if you can handle each of the areas with confidence and mastery, then you have one of the key requirements for teaching Maths Ext 2. I suspect this ideal is not easy to attain.

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Bit of an offtopic question. I asked around some people and they said the MX2 course is mostly Calc I, with a bit of something else (forgot) thrown in. Can you verify this? On a scale of Calc 1 to Calc 3, what is MX2? (I may be expressing myself wroing here)
What are these?

leehuan

HSC
Bit of an offtopic question. I asked around some people and they said the MX2 course is mostly Calc I, with a bit of something else (forgot) thrown in. Can you verify this? On a scale of Calc 1 to Calc 3, what is MX2? (I may be expressing myself wroing here)
Definitely Calc 1 lol

Whilst there's definitely more the only thing I know that's Calc 2 is integration techniques

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Totally agree.

I was never interested in conics until I learned about its application in orbital mechanics!

AusHam

HSC
Conics at a foundational mathematical level (finding the eccentricity, foci coordinates, length of semimajor and semiminor axis) is okay. Once it gets into the more complex problems that's when I begin to hate it (e.g. finding the equation of the line that cuts point (x,y) on the ellipse). Im hoping that with the new course they will put some basic conics into the Graphs topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)