Sydney Grammar 4u Textbook (1 Viewer)

angelarhhx

HSC
I was wondering if anyone has the "secretive" sydney grammar textbook that they will like to share to the forums? its written by the legend who wrote the cambridge extension 1 textbook and will be greatly appreciated. I heard the textbook lives up to its name and the current cambridge 4u textbook is straight up depressing with bogus questions in weird exercises.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
I was wondering if anyone has the "secretive" sydney grammar textbook that they will like to share to the forums? its written by the legend who wrote the cambridge extension 1 textbook and will be greatly appreciated. I heard the textbook lives up to its name and the current cambridge 4u textbook is straight up depressing with bogus questions in weird exercises.
As I said before in another thread you have to get it through your teacher.

Here is my post in that other thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org...345701/coroneos-terry-lee-4u.html#post7077610

It won't be free.

Read what I said in that post, print out the order form (also available in that post), give it to your teacher and ask them nicely to send the order with appropriate payment (which is $20 per student).

Last edited:

angelarhhx

HSC
As I said before in another thread you have to get it through your teacher.

Here is my post in that other thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org...345701/coroneos-terry-lee-4u.html#post7077610

It won't be free.

Read what I said in that post, print out the order form (also available in that post), give it to your teacher and ask them nicely to send the order with appropriate payment.
Do you know if you can buy it personally or does it have to be through a teacher?

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
You know why it has to be done this way, don't you?

It is unpublished. I also spoke to Cambridge University Press about it and they said that until the syllabus is updated they intend to sell Arnold and Arnold. After that, if Sydney Grammar update it for the new syllabus, then and only then will they publish it.

They can't just send you the pdf or post a link somewhere.

They email the pdf to your teacher who prints the whole thing out for each student.

So only the teacher gets the pdf, students get printed copies.

This helps the copyright, makes it all nice and legal and ensures authors get properly remunerated.

You could imagine what would happen if a student were to get their hands on the pdf? It will be all over the net, google will be your friend and everyone will download it for free and authors will get $0 for it.

lilboat

HSC
Several schools have already distributed the pdf to their students

lilboat

HSC
Honestly i wouldn't know, but my best guess would be to save money for the students as I can't really see any other reason to do it

frog1944

HSC
Yes.

No other texts (other than perhaps Coroneos) come even close to being as good as that book.
Really! What makes it so good? Does it have a similar format to the 3 unit pended book, with the extension questions?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Really! What makes it so good? Does it have a similar format to the 3 unit pended book, with the extension questions?
Yes, the same.

The explanations are very detailed and the questions are good. It is largely a byproduct of the fact that the book was written by somebody who actually knew the mathematics that they were writing about. This results in the explanations being spot on most of the time. When it comes to highschool textbooks, there is a very clear correlation between how good the book is and the technical knowledge of the author.

frog1944

HSC
Did you use it when you did MX2? Would you recommend getting it?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Did you use it when you did MX2? Would you recommend getting it?
No I did not use it as I was not aware that it existed at the time. Also at the time it would not have been complete anyway or anywhere near as comprehensive as it is now.

I think I've made it quite clear what my answer, to your second question, would be.

angelarhhx

HSC
apparently the questions are much more clear compared to the arnold cambridge 4u textbook and have better explanations. I feel like arnold's 4u textbook puts weird questions in early exercises before you learn the theorems. I honestly don't understand the point of purchasing it per student because the teacher can always "pretend" the number of students in there 4u cohort to be 1 instead of a class of 20 and only pay 20 dollars. It can also be shared around through pdfs as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)