Question 7 Of Ekman's Compilation (1 Viewer)

frog1944

HSC
Hi,

I eventually gave up and looked for the answer on the net to question 7 complex numbers in ekman's compilation of questions asking "Simplify ".
When I looked at how to derive it, it all involved and . Both of these I have not either seen before, or is in the syllabus.

So how would you tackle it?

Thanks

jathu123

HSC
you can write that infinite sum as Im(cisx+cis2x+cis3x+...+cisnx) = Im(cisx+cis^2(x)+cis^3 (x) + ...+ cis^n (x) [DMT]. This is a geometric series, and so you use the formula for the sum of geometric series; Sn=(a(r^n-1)/(r-1)). They have basically written that in terms of t. So both the common ratio and 'a' is cisx. So they let t=cisx and they got that. I think you can realize and simplify that, and find the imaginary part to get the answer (but very tedious I guess), so they used the alternative version of cisx which is e^(ix) which i think makes it easier, but not entirely sure.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Just replace any e^{ix} you see with cis(x) (they are the same thing) and it becomes HSC-friendly.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

(If sin(x/2) is 0, then x/2 is a multiple of pi, so kx is a multiple of pi for each positive integer k, whence S = 0.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)