Achieving the Impossible? (1 Viewer)

Blue Tongue

HSC
Hi all,
I chose Ext 1 and 2 Maths since Term 1 last year (2016).
I then began Ext 2 tutoring in one of the coaching colleges.
I never did coaching before.
My parents do not really recommend me to do coaching but because of the enormity of the subject, they decided to pay for the coaching.
In coaching, I noticed that a lot of the students have already learnt the topics that they taught and they are doing much better than me. I was wondering if I could never beat these guys because they began to study a lot earlier.
I will never do as good as these guys in school assessment because these topics take time to mature.
So, in the end, I am fighting a losing battle.
Does anyone agree?
:uhoh:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
with that attitude, yes

You're basically saying anyone with a head start can't be caught.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Hi all,
My parents do not really recommend me to do coaching but because of the enormity of the subject, they decided to pay for the coaching.
In coaching, I noticed that a lot of the students have already learnt the topics that they taught and they are doing much better than me. I was wondering if I could never beat these guys because they began to study a lot earlier.
I will never do as good as these guys in school assessment because these topics take time to mature.
Does anyone agree?
Well with that attitude, yes.

You have 3 terms left to prepare and I'm sure you can do it!!! Majority of people doing Maths Extension 2, learn it in year 12 and therefore it's more like these people have an advantage, rather than you having a disadvantage. I also don't understand what the battle is:
a) beating the students
Once you've learnt the content, practise enough questions and you'll probably be at the same level or beating them.
b) knowing the content back to front
Practise, practise, practise - you can do it. If you can do well in a topic after having learn it, you've got no worries - just plan your time wisely and you'll get it done. Since you seem to like and be dedicated to maths, the only problem you appear to be facing is time, which you still have plenty of.

So just grab a Terry Lee textbook, WooTube 4U tutorials and learn the content as fast as you can.

Blue Tongue

HSC
Thanks for the positive feedback.
I am confident I could catch up with the "head-starters" in the final HSC exam but I think I cannot beat them in the ongoing school assessments.
This is what I worry about.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Thanks for the positive feedback.
I am confident I could catch up with the "head-starters" in the final HSC exam but I think I cannot beat them in the ongoing school assessments.
This is what I worry about.
Think about it this way, the content being tested in each assessment, is content you will have learned with the class. The extra stuff they know isn't going to be tested in that exam and therefore level playing field :)

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all,
Does anyone agree?
It doesn't matter whether they have a headstart, what matters is the effort and time you put in.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hi all,
Does anyone agree?
It doesn't mean they won't make silly mistakes because I know the 4 unit kids in the grade above had no tutoring and didn't learn ahead but 2 of them got 94 and they got 5 out of 7 band 6's so it's fine.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You should not be comparing yourself to others, but rather have some set goals for self-improvement. If you compare yourself to others in your coaching class, you will already be fighting a losing battle in your psychological mindset, and it is unfair comparison because you are not comparing with people with similar knowledge than you. Once you made the decision to do coaching for extension two, focus on understanding the theory, practice different types of questions, enjoy the process and forget about other people-because it will only be then will you get any enjoyment from studying this subject and advancing your possibility of achieving a good mark for this subject. Just because other people would be better doesn't mean you can't catch up and excel, nor does it mean that you can't get a band 6 either, a sky can accommodate more than one star. Be your own shining star.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)