Integration (1 Viewer)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
How do you integrate xdx/sqrt(x-x^2) (exercise 4.3 question 1h) from terry lee)?

Thanks for the help

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey I know it's been answered but I still wanna upload it so I can ask a question. pikachu integral image.png. How can I put the latex in the actual post like the others above? I only know how to link as a picture

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hey I know it's been answered but I still wanna upload it so I can ask a question. View attachment 33794. How can I put the latex in the actual post like the others above? I only know how to link as a picture
Did you type it as a code? Click reply to Drongoski's post and see the code required for latex

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the help. Do you mind explaining your thought process for getting the first line where you knew to do -0.5 (1-2x) + 0.5? Thanks again
Using my personal way of integrating, I note that the derivative of x-x2 is 1-2x. so I prepare the denominator of the integrand to have a multiple of 1-2x with some remainder. What I have done is to fiddle the integrand into 2 parts that are easily integrable. Because I have been doing this for many many many years, I can see what I need to do.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Using my personal way of integrating, I note that the derivative of x-x2 is 1-2x. so I prepare the denominator of the integrand to have a multiple of 1-2x with some remainder. What I have done is to fiddle the integrand into 2 parts that are easily integrable. Because I have been doing this for many many many years, I can see what I need to do.
How would you integrate x^2 dx / (x^2 - 2x + 3) lol sorry integration is so hard....

I got x + ln|x^2 - 2x+3| - (tan^-1 (x-1 / root2))/root 2 but it looks weird

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Thanks a lot for this. How about with a higher degree on the numerator - e.g. x^3 dx / (x^2 + x + 1)

Note that in your previous one where I added and subtracted something to get the numerator of lower degree than the denominator was actually just a shortcut method of polynomial division. (So even if the numerator has equal degree to the denominator, we need to divide first so that the numerator degree becomes strictly less than the denominator degree, after which we can use the earlier outlined method.)

Also note that if the denominator is a quadratic (without square root) with two easy roots and the numerator is a linear function (including constant function), we can also use the method of partial fractions relatively easily.

Last edited:

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
How would you integrate x^2 dx / (x^2 - 2x + 3) lol sorry integration is so hard....

I got x + ln|x^2 - 2x+3| - (tan^-1 (x-1 / root2))/root 2 but it looks weird
I think you thought your question was not cause of the sqrt on the denominator in the 1st q

Makes a substantial difference :)

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I think you thought your question was not cause of the sqrt on the denominator in the 1st q

Makes a substantial difference :)
I did what integrand said and added and subtracted something from the numerator

Note than in your previous one where I added and subtracted something to get the numerator of lower degree than the denominator was actually just a shortcut method of polynomial division. (So even if the numerator has equal degree to the denominator, we need to divide first so that the numerator degree becomes strictly less than the denominator degree, after which we can use the earlier outlined method.)

Also note that if the denominator is a quadratic (without square root) with two easy roots and the numerator is a linear function (including constant function), we can also use the method of partial fractions relatively easily.
Thanks for the response but why do we use the remainder?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I did what integrand said and added and subtracted something from the numerator

Thanks for the response but why do we use the remainder?
Its degree is less than the denominator's so we can use the method outlined earlier for that part.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Its degree is less than the denominator's so we can use the method outlined earlier for that part.
So for example the remainder is x, then you use x/(x^2+x+1) ? Why does it still give the same answer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)