question from terry lee volume (1 Viewer)

mathsbrain

HSC
N/A
Was reading volumes by terry lee and it was a trapezoidal solid/frustum and we had to find the volume using similar solids. Mr Lee's answer claimed that the height (h) of the solid is linearly dependent to x which measures the length of the typical slice/cross-section. Is this valid? i mean we can use similar triangles to prove it, but how do we see it by inspection like Mr.lee? And so, under what situation will this "theory" apply?

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
If the shape has a rectangular cross section then the area for a particular slice can be given by the product of two lines i.e. A=lw. so you can just as say the width of the base of the shape to be w=mh+c and youll be given measurements to evaluate m,c. Similarly you can do the same for the length i.e. l=mh+c. Note h is just for height. A good example of this is q9 i think for the mcq for mx2 last year. Its a v good method.

mathsbrain

HSC
N/A
If the shape has a rectangular cross section then the area for a particular slice can be given by the product of two lines i.e. A=lw. so you can just as say the width of the base of the shape to be w=mh+c and youll be given measurements to evaluate m,c. Similarly you can do the same for the length i.e. l=mh+c. Note h is just for height. A good example of this is q9 i think for the mcq for mx2 last year. Its a v good method.
Hmm...im still not convinced for some reason...i understand the slice's area is given by A=lw, but how do we know w and h is LINEARLY dependent? As in, why can't w=mh^2+c for example?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Hmm...im still not convinced for some reason...i understand the slice's area is given by A=lw, but how do we know w and h is LINEARLY dependent? As in, why can't w=mh^2+c for example?
If that were the case, the sides of vertical cross-sections taken from the centre of the base would essentially be parabolic arcs.

It's because the sides of vertical cross-sections from the centre of the base are straight lines that the w is linearly related to h.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)