Thread: Pathways for Yr 11 & 12 students who were accelerated in one subject

HSC
    N/A

Pathways for Yr 11 & 12 students who were accelerated in one subject

Hi,

I go to a rural school and have been accelerated two years in Mathematics. I am currently doing Mathematics Extension 1 &2, and am hence completing my HSC for those subjects this year. As a result of this, I only need 9 units in yr 11 (and I do not plan on redoing my HSC exam for either subject), which means I would have fair bit of free time and I would like to continue learning Mathematics to a high degree.

Are there any extracurricular or other pathways (such as possibly starting university if there are universities which would offer units to students still in high school) that I could do throughout Yr 11 & 12 to stimulate my interest in mathematics?

Thanks

HSC

Re: Pathways for Yr 11 & 12 students who were accelerated in one subject

http://www.mq.edu.au/study/find-a-co...-entry-program

Great program. Highly recommend.

You get to do a Critical Thinking Unit + a unit of your choice.

EDIT: Not sure why this is in the Extension 2 forum...
    Last edited by boredofstudiesuser1; 6 Jun 2017 at 5:35 PM.

HSC

Re: Pathways for Yr 11 & 12 students who were accelerated in one subject

I did same as you. did 3U maths for prelim in year 10, and had to pick 9 units to finish year 11 the next year whilst completing my 4U HSC. I ended up doing an extra year 11 subject in year 10 to bring the workload down for my HSC maths, so effectively had 7 units of year 11 and 4U HSC maths rolling in 2016. This year, Im finishing my 6 units for HSC whilst completing a semester one subject at uni (intensive, Advanced Maths, 4U was prerequisite). Technically, I am enrolled as a non-award student for the subject (they take you to town with fees as you wont be HECS-available) however it effectively covers all first year maths requirements in a semester (intensive) and I will be able to transfer credit next year to a degree at that specific uni, or another should i choose to relocate. So the idea is, once I obtain an ATAR at end of this year, and get into whatever course, I can use the credit.

Depending how rural you are, you might have to consider a distance subject rather than attending classes like what I do

Thread Information