Mathematics Extension 2 Course Summary (1 Viewer)

mojako

HSC
Attached is a set of notes / condensed summary for the Maths HSC subjects, from 2U, 3U and 4U.

Rename the file to .zip instead of .doc, then unzip it. The only reason it's .doc is because this forum limits the file size to only about 100KB for a ZIP file.

If you can't see .doc in the file name, google "how to show file extension + your Windows version (Windows XP, Vista, 7)" to find out how to make the .doc visible.

Hopefully it's useful.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

CrashOveride

HSC
Mojako you are to be commended on your effort...this helps me coz ive seen some stuff in some things that wasnt mentioned in my textbook :S

mojako

HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
whoa that was made a sticky quite quickly.....
thanks Mojako!!
really?
who actually determines the "stickiness"?
btw my ext 1 notes hasn't been made sticky...

thanks to those that labelled this as important :)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
mojako said:
really?
who actually determines the "stickiness"?
btw my ext 1 notes hasn't been made sticky...

thanks to those that labelled this as important :)
Mods and Admins.
If you want PM one of the Admins and they can do it for you (none of the Ext 1 mods are active)

mojako

HSC
[originally addressed to buchanan who provided links to PDF documents]

Hi...
I appreciate your attention but you don't need to convert them to PDF.
I intentionally give them in MS Word so people can edit and improve them easily, if they wish to.
Thanks.

Last edited:
P

prsce24

you made a mistake in the complex numbers sectin (i think, im yr 11 so im not 100% sure)
but look under "Conjugates and Reciprocals and Divisions",
(4+3i)(4-3i) should equal to 25
but you put 5,

im sorry if im wrong, but im confused becuz my answer is different

gman03

HSC
prsce24 said:
you made a mistake in the complex numbers sectin (i think, im yr 11 so im not 100% sure)
but you put 5,

Should be 25.

mojako

HSC
prsce24 said:
but you put 5,

you aren't a yr11 accelerating 4U maths, r u??
(somebody told me that it's possible...)

mojako

HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
oh i wish i did that... that'd be four units out of the way.... only 8 to concentrate on...
damn i wish i was smarter.
but then u have too much to do in yr11

i personally dont think accelerating is a very good idea
if u can accelerate u r usually smart...
but if u r smart then 12 units in yr12 is not such a huge burden that u cant cope with...

by accelerating u can also repeat the assessments in yr12 so u could get better marks, but then again, if u can accelerate u should be smart enough to get good marks in the first place

if u accelerate 2U subjects in yr11 (eg IPT) and take extension courses (maths or english) in yr12, so that you're doing a total of 12 or more units in yr12, that might be useful if u like studying or knowing things... i think this is the only good point about accelerating... but maybe u shouldnt be studying too much :p

P

prsce24

my skool is shit, the teachers are shit, so they are worried that we might not finish the whole 4u course till next year, so yr 11s started learning 4u early this term.
Man, my teacher is so shit, i dont understand a thing.

i agree wit mojako,
i dont think accelerating is a good idea (unless you are ready to take all the mass work)
anyways good luck yr 12s for the trials

mojako

HSC
To prsce24:
they're partly correct.
to finish the whole 4U in a year is not easy.
and the lessons might be spent just going through the theory and proving statements or formulae and doing a few questions together (in my school we do the worked examples from textbook(s) on a photocopied handout with the workings and answers being omited). the exercises are done at home. we've just finished the 4U topics now, and havent talked about the harder 3U topics (which is a component in the 4U course).

just an advice: read ur textbook slowly and repeatedly and im sure you'll understand. try to make sure u know how the textbook moves from a line to the next line of working, in the worked examples (this is particularly true for Cambridge textbook.. it's not user friendly at all! :( and you can see how they desperately want to save space by putting everything on one line... a bit like my summaries lol but textbooks shouldnt be doing that).
if u cant seem to understand a section or paragraph after reading it a few times, move to the next section or paragraph (to get an overal picture, and to refresh your mind) and come back later. be persistent and not easily turned off.

Last edited:
P

prsce24

thanx for the advice mojako, my mum's gone out to get me a cambridge 4u book now, so i will be reading 'slowly' & 'repeatedly' : )

just one more question, is cambridge the best 4u textbook?
you say its not user friendly, and i hate books that are not user friendly.
our teacher is giving us photocopies of patel (the blue one) and it seems much easier.

and do u think i'd be better off studying very hard on my own wit cambridge than pay attention in class (my teacher apparently doesn't know what he's doing).

mojako

HSC
To prsce24:
I hope ur mum didn't buy cambridge becoz I mentioned it before, coz it's not the best textbook in terms of learning... It's got very nice questions but they're often harder than those in other textbooks and harder than the HSC. So it's good if you want to do really well but not if you just want to do well.
I don't know about Patel. but it seems that Fitzpatrick's New Senior Maths book is quite good (and user friendly).

>> and do u think i'd be better off studying very hard on my own wit cambridge than pay attention in class (my teacher apparently doesn't know what he's doing). <<
Are you exaggerating in the teacher bit? If you're not then I guess the answer is "yes"...
But in either case, you can try to read ahead and see if you understand what ur teacher says and if he/she gives u any new knowledge that isn't in the book or that u missed while reading the book.
or you can read the book after the lesson.. doesnt really matter.. it's u who can tell which one works better :)

P

prsce24

yay i got the book, but did i get the right one? its so tiny and thin.
i hope i got the rite one, its frekin 55 bux

P

prsce24

buchnan, i don't wanna tell u skool name nor teacher's name...
i dont wanna bring down the reputation of our skool, and i don't wanna get in trouble for syaing my teacher is crap : )

mojako

HSC
prsce24 said:
yay i got the book, but did i get the right one? its so tiny and thin.
i hope i got the rite one, its frekin 55 bux
yeah its very thin.. thats why i said it desperately tries to use as few pages as possible. and yep, its tiny.
but its only for the Extension 2 materials. you need the 3U book for the extension 1 and for the 2 Unit materials.
btw what book does ur school use? just wondering...

Last edited:

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
i agree, fitzpatrick is alot more "ser friendly" than other textbooks
we're using the arnold and arnold textbook and it's ok, but i use the fitzpatrick for studying by myself

P

prsce24

my skool uses photocopies of patel and cambridge (excercies only), but i just bought cambridge anyway becuz i need some explanations that the teacher sometimes misses.
just like u said, this book is not user friendly at all, it gives a question , then skips all working then gives the answer. im confused half the tiime.

and since we're learning early, i have hard time trying to understand like the basic concepts of 2 and 3u thats in 4u. e.g. radians and integrals etc...(haven't learned them yet)

man wot can i do,,

aud

HSC
prsce24 said:
my skool is shit, the teachers are shit, so they are worried that we might not finish the whole 4u course till next year, so yr 11s started learning 4u early this term.
Wait, is that allowed? There's no way you can start a course before the rest of your grade in NSW, is there? Don't you have to wait until the first day of term 4 to start Year 12 work under some Board regulation?

P

prsce24

yea i asked the teacher the same question.
his answer:
"well, James Ruse finishes 2u fitzpatrick in yr 10 but they dont get assessed on it. so its not cheating. Same as us, we'll be learning but you guys won't get assessed."

I believe its just taking extra tutoring. THis doesnt go towards our minimum unit (12u for yr11). i currently have 13u, and doing this 4u doesnt make it 15u.
The teacher is sacrificing his own time to teach us in the mornings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)