Is 4 Unit Maths worth keeping over a 100% 2 Unit mark? (1 Viewer)

milonco

HSC
Hello everyone.

I've just started year 12 and I have picked up Extension 2 (4 Unit) Mathematics.

This year (2017), I did accelerated 2 Unit and recently received my results. I received 100% in both my internal assessment and HSC and ranked 16th in the state.

Now, I understand that when you do 4 Unit, the 2 Unit is not counted, and instead they count Extension 1 as the first two units and Extension 2 as the next two.

At the moment I am at a dilemma where I don't know whether or not it will be better for my overall ATAR to continue with 4 Unit or drop down to 3 Unit and keep my awesome 2 Unit mark.

I was also wondering, if I kept 4 Unit till the end, could NESA still count my 2 unit if it outweighs my performance in extension II? Or does the 2 unit get deleted automatically if I keep 4 Unit?

My current subjects include:
English Advanced (2)
Chemistry (2)
Biology (2)
Mathematics Extension 1 (2)
Mathematics Extension 2 (2)
Religion I (1)

Total: 11 Units

At the moment these are my current considerations regarding this dilemma:

Reasons for keeping 4 unit
- Great scaling
- Doubles Extension 1 Mark (which in itself also has decent scaling)
- Makes Extension 1 easier
- Would mean I won't have to count religion 1 unit (which is my worst subject, and has crap scaling)
- Ensures I have a backup unit (11/10) incase I stuff up a subject
- I'll have more units of math counting to my ATAR, a subject that I am naturally good at

Reasons for dropping 4 unit
- guaranteed 100% in 2 of my units (2 Unit Maths), not dropping means I would lose this
- I would only have to do 1 unit of Extension 1 Maths
- I would effectively only be doing 8 units (as 2 unit maths has already been completed)
- I would have a lot more time to focus on my other subjects
- 4 Unit is hard

So what would you guys recommend if you were in my situation? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Would you be happier keeping a 200 for Maths General 2 (if that were possible) instead of doing 4U? You are obviously talented in maths and will undoubtedly do very well in your 4U. Even if you achieve "only" 97 in your 4U, would you rather a 100 for 2U to a 97 for 4U. Regardless of how they work out, unless you are pursuing an ATAR-sensitive course like Medicine, would it matter if you ended up with an ATAR of 99.75 with your 2U compared to an ATAR of 99.50 based on 4U? But of course I have not factored in the heavy weighting for 4U.

Anyway were I you, I'll treat the 100 in 2U as a strong motivation to do 4U.

milonco

HSC
Would you be happier keeping a 200 for Maths General 2 (if that were possible) instead of doing 4U? You are obviously talented in maths and will undoubtedly do very well in your 4U. Even if you achieve "only" 97 in your 4U, would you rather a 100 for 2U to a 97 for 4U. Regardless of how they work out, unless you are pursuing an ATAR-sensitive course like Medicine, would it matter if you ended up with an ATAR of 99.75 with your 2U compared to an ATAR of 99.50 based on 4U? But of course I have not factored in the heavy weighting for 4U.

Anyway were I you, I'll treat the 100 in 2U as a strong motivation to do 4U.
Funnily enough, I actually am interested in getting into medicine. Would this still be a good reason to pursue 4 Unit?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Funnily enough, I actually am interested in getting into medicine. Would this still be a good reason to pursue 4 Unit?
No, the high school subjects don't matter for uni courses.

I'd do 4U because you're clearly good at maths so 4U should be alright and you'll be able to get 95+ in that. Also a big thing is that it makes ur 3U count as 2 units and since 3U has such high scaling it'll be good in the end rather than religion counting, which you said was your worst subject.

integral95

HSC
Given your situation, if you were to study a science related course at uni, I would definitely say DO 4U maths regardless of whether you may do really well or not.

But yes, if you're looking do take medicine, where you probably won't need your high school math knowledge, that would really depend how badly your worst subjects could potentially drag your ATAR down (Religion, maybe english?).

But put it this way, you're a great math student obviously, so I'd say you should do it for the challenge. Maybe that would change your mind towards the end of HSC and perhaps pursue a maths related degree.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Despite the ridiculous situation of "your subjects do not matter" in doing Medicine nowadays, I still feel doing Chemistry, Bio or even Physics would be really useful, required or not for entry into Medicine. I want to stay away from a doctor whose school background is History, Philosophy, Literature, Business Studies etc.

In my HSC class (Overseas) of less than 30, ten went on to study medicine. In those old-fashioned days, they did Physics, Chem, Zoology and Botany (4 Principal Level subjects) although it'd have been better for them to have done Physics, Chemistry, Biology and a Maths.

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I believe most people doing Medicine have done 4U to help boost their ATAR, and being bright, they also love the challenge of doing 4U.

iStudent

HSC
4U also gives 2 bonus points for UQ Med, if that helps convincing you

milonco

HSC
4U also gives 2 bonus points for UQ Med, if that helps convincing you
Nice. I was actually considering University of Queensland, as I've got family up there. Do you know roughly what ATAR is required for UQ Med entry? Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)