Results 1 to 5 of 5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By altSwift

Thread: Should I pick 4U Maths?

  1. #1
    Cadet Heresy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    1

    Should I pick 4U Maths?

    I've heard around that only your best 2 Units of Maths count towards your ATAR... With that being said, is this false? Because last time I checked when you pick 4U maths your 3U Maths course jumps to 2 Units, and the 4U Course is also worth 2 Units - So is picking 4U Maths more or less redundant due to only 2 of your Math Units counting?

  2. #2
    Cadet altSwift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Should I pick 4U Maths?

    Doing advanced math only (2U) : 2 units total
    Doing extension 1 math (3U): 3 units total (2 from advanced, 1 from extension 1)
    Doing extension 2 math (4U): 4 units total (2 from extension 1, 2 from extension 2, 0 from advanced - you also don't sit the 2U HSC exam, although its dependant on your school whether you sit 2U trials)

    You heard incorrect, picking 4U makes 4 units of math count towards your ATAR (note if you do more than 10 units of subjects, there is a possibility of only 2 or maybe 0 units of math counting towards your atar as it is derived from your top 10 units)
    Last edited by altSwift; 26 Feb 2018 at 12:47 PM.
    Heresy likes this.
    HSC 2018

    English Adv - MX1 - MX2 - Physics - Economics

  3. #3
    Cadet Heresy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Should I pick 4U Maths?

    Quote Originally Posted by altSwift View Post
    Doing advanced math only (2U) : 2 units total
    Doing extension 1 math (3U): 3 units total (2 from advanced, 1 from extension 1)
    Doing extension 2 math (4U): 4 units total (2 from extension 1, 2 from extension 2, 0 from advanced - you also don't sit the 2U HSC exam, although its dependant on your school whether you sit 2U trials)

    You heard incorrect, picking 4U makes 4 units of math count towards your ATAR (note if you do more than 10 units of subjects, there is a possibility of only 2 or maybe 0 units of math counting towards your atar as it is derived from your top 10 units)
    Yeah I thought that was the case. So that means i will have to drop 2 of my subjects? Oh well...

  4. #4
    Cadet altSwift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Should I pick 4U Maths?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heresy View Post
    Yeah I thought that was the case. So that means i will have to drop 2 of my subjects? Oh well...
    No, you don't have to drop any. As far as I know there isn't any max, you just need 10 units minimum (this might change in regards to tafe or if you are doing non-atar? not too sure). You can do 14/16 whatever units for the HSC if you want. It gives you a bit of leeway if you bomb a subject/test, but spreads out your study thinly amongst your classes - you won't be as specialised as such. Also you get more free periods if you drop subs which is part of the reason I did it lol...
    HSC 2018

    English Adv - MX1 - MX2 - Physics - Economics

  5. #5
    Cadet Heresy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Should I pick 4U Maths?

    Quote Originally Posted by altSwift View Post
    No, you don't have to drop any. As far as I know there isn't any max, you just need 10 units minimum (this might change in regards to tafe or if you are doing non-atar? not too sure). You can do 14/16 whatever units for the HSC if you want. It gives you a bit of leeway if you bomb a subject/test, but spreads out your study thinly amongst your classes - you won't be as specialised as such. Also you get more free periods if you drop subs which is part of the reason I did it lol...
    Understood lol.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •