what have you learnt so far? (1 Viewer)

nerdd

i think i'm soooo behind..
we've only done polynomials completely.. and haven't even completely finished complex no.s!!
we're starting integration next week tho.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
weve nearly finished complex numbers and started integration this week.

Rahul

Dead Member
if u think ur behind...

we have just finished complex number, and started our 2nd topic polynomials today!!!!

so i think i am the one who should be f r e a k i n out

N

ND

I've done complx numbers, graphs, polynomials, and now i'm up to the parametric part of conics. When i ask my teacher if we're on track for finishing on time, he still can't give me an answer.

N

ND

Originally posted by nerdd
we've only done polynomials completely.. and haven't even completely finished complex no.s!!
You did polynomials before complex numbers? how did you do the ones with complex coefficients?

Rahul

Dead Member
which topic would u guys think is the easiest.....now i know that 4u topics cannot b easy, but which one would b the easiest out of the tough lot

N

ND

Originally posted by Rahul
which topic would u guys think is the easiest.....now i know that 4u topics cannot b easy, but which one would b the easiest out of the tough lot
I can't comment properly, considering i'm class of '03, but i presume that it would be an early one (for obvious reasons). For me it was either complex numbers or polynomials, but i didn't find graphing very hard either. However, what i'm up to now in conics seems quite a bit tougher than anything i've done previously.

I also presume that integration would be easy, considering that the mode for q1 is usually 15.

Twintip

I would think that polynomials is the easiest. It seems pretty straightforward to me anyway, whereas Complex Numbers took a while to sink in. We've done Complex Numbers incl Locus questions and Polynomials completely as well as some freaky graphing s*** and a handful of 3 unit topics as well obviously (eg: 3u integration but not 4u integration).

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
i did 4u yr b4 u and integration is by far the easiest, prolly followed by graphs
and by far the easiest to choke on ... i still cant believe i stuffed up the integration by parts on q1, 2002 ...

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
From my experience last year, this is how I'd rank the topics in 4U (easiest to hardest):

1. Complex No's (straightforward once you grasp the concepts)

2. Graphs (another very easy topic, sometimes annoying questions but nothing too hard)

3. Integration (most of it is quite simple with standard integrals and substitution and integration by parts is easy. The only hard part is the recurrence integrals).

4. Volumes (as long as you can visualise the 3D shapes in the questions, it's not that hard. Probably one of the most fun topics in 4U IMO :D )

5. Mechanics (lot's of people hate it, but once you learn the procedures to do the questions, it becomes OK. Maybe I liked it because my maths teacher was a physics teacher too :cool:. Resisted motion is fairly easy, but circular motion is quite challenging but not impossible).

6. Polynomials (lots of people find this easy somehow but I usually find polynomials annoying. The basic ones are easy but as you progress and get to the harder ones, they give you more & more trouble. Maybe because our teacher rushed us through it :rolleyes: ).

7. Conics (usually long, difficult questions usually requiring a LOT of algebra, and patience which I don't have ;). Also a boring topic. You might be lucky enough to get some moderately easy questions though)

8. Harder 3U/Miscellaneous (this is the worst one for sure. Just take one look at the last page of a 4U paper and you'll agree. Some questions can be OK such as inequalities, but I found the rest of it quite hard such as the inductions. And I'm not a fan of circle geometry nor probability)

nerdd

we learnt polynomials before complex no.s because we had just been learning polynomials in 3 unit and our 4 unit teacher thought it'd be a good way to start with something we were somewhat familiar with.
well we were told basic things about complex no.s along the way when we came across it with polynomials so it was ok.
i like polynomials.. i find it easy.. and complex no.s is easy too except for that stuff like prove that z is imaginary or real or whatever. i'm like wtf?!
but yeah. haven't done the rest..

does anyone else find they go better in 4 u than 3 u?
(including the class of 02?)

Capulet

UNSW rulz!
complex numbers is easier compared to some of the 3 u stuff, we did chap 1 and chap 2 , complex numbers and graphing in the cambridge book, then our teacher decided to finish the rest of the 3u yr 11 work. we are abit behind.

bobo123

HSC
complex numbers
polynomials
and a bit of curve sketching and a bit of integration

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
weve got 1 hour morning classes twice a week. but since we have the same teacher for 3 and 4 unit we do 4 unit during the day as well. so we dont really have 4 an 3 unit separately.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by nerdd
We've finished graphs and complex numbers, we're doing conics at the moment.

This seems to differ for *everyone*. Before I started 4u a lot of people said complex numbers was the easiest topic... then when I started chatting to more people on the boards etc some were saying they found complex numbers to be the most difficult. It's strange. Graphing was pretty straightforward for me.

how often do u guys have classes? lyk we have it 2 tyms a week for around 45 mins each tym.
We have a morning class two times a week & they go for about an hour each.

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
if u think ur behind...

we have just finished complex number, and started our 2nd topic polynomials today!!!!

so i think i am the one who should be f r e a k i n out
hey we haven't fully finished complex no. and we are now doing graphs due to deadlines i guess.... so thats why i am the one whos suppose to be freakin' out!!!:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)