4 u half yearly exam (1 Viewer)

Rahul

Dead Member
hey guys i have a 4 u half yearly exam coming up.:( it is going to be on complex numbers and polynomials.

do u guys have any tips or hints for the test. any thing to look out for?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Tips? Practice a lot of questions, especially those that mix complex no's with polynomials (they love making the last question a combination of topics).

Post any pre-exam questions for us to help you with.

Learn shorcuts that you need, and learn your proofs ...

blah

I am blah
HSC
Man you're lucky.

Our half-yearly's gonna be 2.5 hours and its gonna be on complex numbers, polynomials, curve sketching, conics and harder 3unit!!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by blah
Man you're lucky.

Our half-yearly's gonna be 2.5 hours and its gonna be on complex numbers, polynomials, curve sketching, conics and harder 3unit!!
Remember, the HSC is only 3hrs and its ALL of the topics ...

Twintip

My half yearlies take place over the next two weeks. They make us do the 2 unit exam incase we drop 4u (I won't be), meaning we have 8 hours of maths exams!

2u (3 hours) - Assorted BS.
3u (2 hours) - Locus, Seq & Series, Induction (with inequalities and crap), stuff on 2nd Derivative, Integration (incl Logs and Exponentials) and Trig Functions.
4u (3 hours) - Complex numbers (with complex locus stuff), Polynomials, Curve Sketching and all that harder 3 unit stuff (I suspect some hard inductions and circle geometry). No Conics! Yay. Only our class has done it.

Not looking forward to it all. :(

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Twintip
My half yearlies take place over the next two weeks. They make us do the 2 unit exam incase we drop 4u (I won't be), meaning we have 8 hours of maths exams!

2u (3 hours) - Assorted BS.
3u (2 hours) - Locus, Seq & Series, Induction (with inequalities and crap), stuff on 2nd Derivative, Integration (incl Logs and Exponentials) and Trig Functions.
4u (3 hours) - Complex numbers (with complex locus stuff), Polynomials, Curve Sketching and all that harder 3 unit stuff (I suspect some hard inductions and circle geometry). No Conics! Yay. Only our class has done it.

Not looking forward to it all. :(
That sucks how you have to do the 2U exam. When I was in year 12 they made us do the first 2U exam in case anyone wanted to drop. i don't think anyone from our class studied aqt all, and yet we still beat most of the grade ...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Arh ... McLake, you're not the only one ... and we had to do every single two unit exam up until our trials ... but then again most of us four unit students didnt care ... but it still took up time and effort when we had other exams ...

*shrugs* (its been over for so very very long :p :D :p :D :))

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Dammit!
Our half yearly consists of complex, graphs, integration and harder 3u shit!
And we've only had about 5 lessons this year :(

N

ND

Mine is in 2 weeks and consists of complex numbers, graphs, polynomials, conics, and integration. Thankfully no 2u for me.

Tips? do lots of questions. Get the pheonix past papers book and do those. You should be able to do every question in the topics you've done.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
wow, that is a lot of topics

but the 1/2 yearlys aren't very hard since they don't contain the crazyly hard questions such as the q7/q8 of the 4u trial/HSC

Rahul

Dead Member
thnx guys......practicise a lot.....got it!!

are there any specific things i gotta look out for for these two topics?

N

ND

Originally posted by Rahul
thnx guys......practicise a lot.....got it!!

are there any specific things i gotta look out for for these two topics?
When you've done a question, don't just move onto the next(unless it is rediculously easy), go back and look for another way of doing it. Always try and find as many ways as possible to do a question. Believe me this will benefiet you in the exam.

N

ND

Originally posted by McLake
Tips? Practice a lot of questions,
lol, look at the second paragraph (if that can be called a paragraph) of my first post, subconsciousness at work?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by ND

lol, look at the second paragraph (if that can be called a paragraph) of my first post, subconsciousness at work?
Maybe, or maybe this idea is drilled into all 4U students over and over and over and over and ...

nerdd

woahhh! 3 hr maths exams each?! that's so ridiculous!!!!

my 2 unit : 2 hrs
my 3 unit: 1.5 hrs
my 4 unit: 1.25 hrs heheh 1 hr and 15 mins.. my teacher said she was being nice so we could check over and everything. ahh.
HOW SCARY. mine's just on complex, polynomials and integration.

bobo123

HSC
which would be the best textbook to revise out of? cambridge or patel?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by bobo123
which would be the best textbook to revise out of? cambridge or patel?
I'm a Cambridge supporter! Although I'd studied from both!

Rahul

Dead Member
hey guys,

i've been studying complex number and finding the locus section really tough....i think its gotta do with the vectors. i feel that that is my weakness. i am handling the algebraic type of complex number q's better.

for people wid the cambridge book, its section 2.5 and a little bit of 2.4. i am having troubles understanding the concepts behind these questions. the teacher didnt go through it as she did wid the rest.

any help will be appreciated.

Rahul

Dead Member
z = x + iy is such that (z-i)/(z+1) is purely imaginary. Find the equation of the locus of the point P representing z and show the locus on an argand diagram.

answer:

circle- x(x+1) + y(y +1) = 0
i havent come across this eqn of a circle b4. it's centre is (-0.5, 0.5) ????

i am having a LOT of troubles wid these questions. can some one explain to me as if i know very little about this....spare no detail...thnx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)