how much study needed for 4u math? (1 Viewer)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I hate when people ask these questions, because the answer is so personal.

You should spend enough time so that you know how to do a question 8 level question in ALL of the topics. IE, be prepared for the unexpected question aon any topic.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Last year I completely bludged, not a single homework done on 4unit, and had a ultra-hardcore catch up work done 3 montsh before the HSC, and, well, I got 89 exam mark, 85 HSC mark. I had to catch up in the end like hell, and what I mean like hell is up to the measures of downloading the proper song for studying, ambient songs etc..

If I studied that earlier, I wouldn't have to repeat maths again. Good thing it was an accelerated class back then :)

I advise you don't study and measure how much time you studied, but you study to know how to do every single question you're supposed to know. Studying is not a length, but a process that depends on your knowledge. Good luck.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
how did you get to accelerate in math, did your whole class accelerate?

im in year 11 right now and i so wanted to accelerate in math but i got a lazy asshole math teacher who expect me to get 90%+ in a HSC 3u exam for me to start 4u, i said she was crazy that i needed more time cause its the 2nd week of year 11 but she wouldn't give, so i only managed 50% :( and i think now i can get at least 70% but i don't think she will give me a second chance.

js-angel

nah 4u math isn't that bad..like it is but you don't need to study that much to get above 95.. all i do is my homework and a little bit of study before assessments.. in year 11 i didn't even study much..i pretty much only studied about an hour a day before an assessment for a week...so yeah but i guess it is personal but dont freak too much and you'll be fine..the more u stress, the worse you do

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
I was accelerated since year 9, but had special advanced maths class since kindergarten (not boasting here).. And, in that Maroubra high school that was closed, not a single person beat me in maths (proven with best standardised score for maths competition in the school :))

Btw i think its too late for you to accelerate, since my whole class was accelerated since year 7, and I just joined in year 9. Not everyone in the accelerated class is as smart as the non-accelerated, its just the people that shown early signs of nerdrydism. I just had the braveness to ask :)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
when you say "a" question 8 level question do you mean just one?

what is the range of the raw exam mark on average to gain a HSC mark of 95+?
No, not just one, as many as you can get your hands on (just don't be depressed if you can't do all of them).

The average raw mark changes every year, but it is likely to be between 50% and 80%

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
i am not trying to scare you but i got 96 in 4u 97 3u (i expected a little higher) and first in school

to achieve that i did every question in the arnold book and the past 10years of part papers.

i reckon that is the ONLY way to garrantee a high mark cause you go into the test and it seems like you have already done all the questions before.

to do that doesn't require all that much time, about 1 hour each nigh should do it.

and i repeat, the only way to do good in maths is to do exercises!!!!!

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
my friend got 99 in 4u maths last year.. he used the arnold at school and did heaps of questions out of fitzpatrick and coroneous as well as all the trial papers he could get his hands on.
so practice practice practice

D

d00d

Originally posted by underthesun
I was accelerated since year 9, but had special advanced maths class since kindergarten (not boasting here).. And, in that Maroubra high school that was closed, not a single person beat me in maths (proven with best standardised score for maths competition in the school :))

errr you got the best standardised score for maths comp, well:
1) maths comps don't reflect ur maths ability, get the first 10 right and guess a few and u've got a distinction already.
2) maroubra high school... nuff said

btw i've got one of those special achievement awards too...

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
My 4U teacher actually says to spend as much time on 4U as you do on any other subject, since its scaled so highly. So basically if you do 12 units, you should spend 1/3 of your time on maths.

bobo123

HSC
i heard like 40% of all candidates get in the top band
so im pretty confident .........i hope :p

The Oracle

I study alot, but when doing 4U, I take breaks every 40 min, Breaks about 5min or 10 min long. It helps, refresh your brain and it helps grasp much more info. Maths teacher told us, and its worked for every subject so far.. :)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
I do 2 past papers a day (all the questions that i can attempt) each day of holidays without breaks...
I find that breaks stuff me up when i'm on a roll, but then again i love maths ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)