Learning elegance? (1 Viewer)

N

ND

I can usually work my way through most questions (q1-q6 that is), but i usually do it the obvious way, and miss the elegant method. Is there anything that i can do to see elegant solutions? Anything i can practice? I really want to learn, because not only do you get a good feeling out of doing an elegant solution, but it really helps with the time constraints during the exams.
Thanks.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
The solution may come to you once in a while, but unless you some kind of super-freak (like spice girl) you won't often see a more elegent solution. I think I may have produced an elgent solution twice in the whole of my four-unit year ...

SoFTuaRiaL

when u do more n more questions, u begin to get better at them ... as u do the small questions in ur texts and realise the tricks for doing those, u can start incorporating those tricks in the bigger Qs in the exam .....

spice girl

magic mirror
Umm, firstly you have to recognise an elegant solution when you see one, and study how the solution is linked to the question.

And, once you finished with a problem, don't stop there; go spend an extra 5 minutes looking for an alternate solution. Since you already have a feel for the question and its answer, it won't take as long as coming up with the first solution (unless there is no alternate solution - which is rare in 4unit)

My 2 cents is that it's worth the extra 5 minutes looking for an alternate solution. Especially when you read someone's spaghetti-algebraic solution to a 2 line question, I always have the impulse to take the challenge and go find an alternate solution. Once you get elegant solutions to simple problems you normally have the inspiration to do better, and you'll "enjoy" maths more i guess...

For example, look at your answer in the heptagon question on the forum. You've done exactly wot I did when I was in year 12, which I assume is correct, but yeh spend an extra bit of time looking for another way that skip the algebraic mess. A hint: the number 2 as a multiple of 7 different complex numbers is too coincidental to be random. Also, it involves using polynomials.

You'll like it when you get it ;)

N

ND

Originally posted by spice girl

For example, look at your answer in the heptagon question on the forum. You've done exactly wot I did when I was in year 12, which I assume is correct, but yeh spend an extra bit of time looking for another way that skip the algebraic mess. A hint: the number 2 as a multiple of 7 different complex numbers is too coincidental to be random. Also, it involves using polynomials.

You'll like it when you get it ;)
After your suggestion, i believe i've found a better solution than the first. Thanks for the advice, it means alot coming from you.

edit: just read Bon's post about not quoting whole posts.

N

ND

Originally posted by McLake
The solution may come to you once in a while, but unless you some kind of super-freak (like spice girl) you won't often see a more elegent solution. I think I may have produced an elgent solution twice in the whole of my four-unit year ...
Heh, i am the same, i don't think i have even done an elegant solution this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)