Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: If you are in year 11, read this first.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Re: If you are in year 11, read this first.

Quote Originally Posted by zozoraneem View Post
    how does the 3 U and 4 U marking go
    like is it ot of 50 or 100 if you pick 4 U maths

and what happens to 2 unit maths?
    2 unit is not counted on your atar because it is assumed you will get a band 6 in it by doing 4 unit.

Cadet
    HSC

Exclamation Re: If you are in year 11, read this first.

Hey I got 50% in my first exam for complex numbers (last out of a group of four, with the second lowest at 91%) and I got far below the class average, but my 3-unit mark was the highest by far with a lead of 15%, and I already completed 2-u through the accelerated course and got 94%, so should I drop 4-u or does it sound like it was just a very very bad test.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Well for me, what I get in 2u is surprisingly similar to what I get in 3u and 4u. In fact, for the first set of assessments tasks in Maths last year in HSC mode, I got a 60% for 2, 3 and 4u. However my ranks had variances. While 2u was not ranked for 4u students, in 3u I was 8/19 and 4u was 3/6 (I am the only bloke in my school doing 4u😀). Also, yes I go for tutoring (but only 3 and 4u...). What are your thoughts?

HSC

As a qualified mathematics teacher and someone who went through the after school tutoring program during High School, I would suggest that you do
    Mathematics Extension 2 (formerly 4 Unit) if you have a passion for the subject and can show a strong degree of creative thinking. The mechanics and
    conics sections in my opinion require a lot of unconventional methods to solve the questions, as its really more algebra rather than a direct application
    of physics and conical equations. You must also be highly committed, willing to spend a lot of time studying mathematics and doing after hours
    tutoring.

I did Mathematics Extension 1 at school and found it was reasonably challenging, but more straightforward in the problem solving approach compared to Mathematics Extension 2. If I had to do school again, I would have picked Mathematics Extension 2, despite my reservations about the conics and mechanics sections. So far I have found most of the topics like complex numbers, graphs, polynomials to be more methodical in the problem solving
    eyeseeyou likes this.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread Information