Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: If you are in year 11, read this first.

yeah......

hey wassup i like you

Help

i was doing my 4unit work and i dropped my compass on my legg... has dat happened to anyone else????

HSC
    Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.....................
    At our school there are going to be 2 classes for Ext 2 maths, one strong one with only 18 kids, and one for everybody else (including those people who "aren't sure but are giving it a try"). Their aim is that the lower Ext 2 class will all drop out or something like that. The way the timetable works is that class 2 gets all their Ext 2 classes before/after school, and have their Ext 1 lessons during school, during which they are joined by the top kids who are not doing Ext 2. The top Ext 2 class gets all their lessons within schooltime...or something odd like that. Are any other schools doing odd things like that?

I think I should make it into the top Ext 2 class. I got 97% for 2U (4th) and 89% for 3U (3rd), and I like maths, so I'm pretty sure about my plans as well.

Class of 2006
    Target/UAI: Aim for Andromeda, that way, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. XCIX.XCV

HSC
    Let me guess.
    You're in Yr 11 and are already doing tutoring for Yr 12 subjects?
    | Class of 2005 |

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by A l
    Even people who had fairly mediocre results in Mathematics Extension 1 at my school were allowed to go on to Mathematics Extension 2.
    Last year, we had our best student at Mathematics, who came second in the state for Mathematics Extension 2.
    As it should be. I think that if your average in 3u maths is over 60%, you should do 4u.

Usually a small number of people drop out because they can't handle the workload. A friend predicted that there would be a lot of people dropping out this year when they realise they chose the course for the scaling and couldn't handle the difficulty and workload of the course. I hope that doesn't happen.
    We had a class of 5, with one person dropping out. He is comign second in 3u. Why did he drop out? Because complex numbers scared the hell out of him and he thought the entire course would be like that.

VERY DIFFERENT. I just had a go at Complex Numbers and boy, that was very different and very unfamiliar compared to the Real Numbers dealt in Mathematics Extension 1.
    It looks foreign at first, but it's really just a bunch of basic skills you already have: solving and factorising euqations, conjugate surds (conjugate of z), Pythagoras' theorem (modulus), 3u trig skills, locus... about the only thing I can think of that would be foreign is vectors. You'll probably grow to love complex numbers.

The other topics are not so foreign: integration, polynomials, conics (you already cover this in the case of the parabola and circle in 3u and 2u, now you cover the hyperbola and ellipse), mechanics, volumes, harder 3u (mainly harder induction, inequalities and circle geometry), curve sketching.

I reckon the majority of people taking Mathematics Extension 2 would have tuition for it, but obviously not for such a high price per week! I would believe that most of the people taking the course would be from an Asian background and you know how many Asian parents sometimes force their children to attend tuition whether they like it or not.....
    Really? I don't think so. Sydney isn't the only city that sits the HSC.
    Quote Originally Posted by jezzmo
    Slidey said sydney but sandy said snog. Slidey said friday, but freddie said pieday. Slidey said tomorrow, a day can I borrow? Slidey says yes and will be beautifully dressed.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Slide Rule
    As it should be. I think that if your average in 3u maths is over 60%, you should do 4u.
    The course average for Extension 1 at our school is usually 70%-80%. Most people would average over 60% anyway. Only like 5%-10% of the grade actually average below that.
    Really? I don't think so. Sydney isn't the only city that sits the HSC.
    Wouldn't the majority of HSC students come from Sydney Metropolitan area anyway? Also, wouldn't the selective schools (in which the majority of students are usually asians) make up a large portion of Extension 2 Mathematics students?

What I think is weird is that you use up 3 units of your time mainly on Extension 1 while you spend only 1 unit of your time mainly on Extension 2. You spend more class time in Extension 1, than in Extension 2. You're spending different class times on the two, yet they are counted as equal unit values. I guess that helps since they both scale well and good scaled marks would certainly help if it makes up a larger chunk of the UAI as opposed to doing only 3 unit Maths with 2 unit accounting for most of your Maths units and only 1 unit worth of potentially good scaled marks.

Man, I'm going to have a tough road ahead with 4 unit Maths and 6 unit Science!!!

HSC
    Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.....................
    Quote Originally Posted by ishq
    Let me guess.
    You're in Yr 11 and are already doing tutoring for Yr 12 subjects?
    Hey, how'd you know? But yeah, I don't turn up half the time, I don't ever do my homework and I get lost very easily. The only reason I go is because I'm forced, or because I hope that by listening in I'll absorb roughly half of what I need to know, so next year will be easier.

Class of 2006
    Target/UAI: Aim for Andromeda, that way, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. XCIX.XCV

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by The Intergrator
    That's Bull. The person who has tutoring in my class is third from the bottom.
    ????????????
    siganture removed due to excessive size

Christopher Fife
    HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebla
    Man, I'm going to have a tough road ahead with 4 unit Maths and 6 unit Science!!!
    Same here, but don't forget advanced english
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.

"...It isn't reasonable to ask that we achieve perfection. What is reasonable is that we never cease to aim for it."
    Dr Atul Gawande

HSC
    It's very hard to have a "tough road ahead" for 4u mathematics if you do a small amount of study each day. I do mean a small amount (30 minutes max probably). I almost gaurentee you will get an E4 if you do that.

What's hard is trying account for not doing that small amount of study each day for the past year when the HSC looms 60 or less days away (30 in my case - haha).
    Quote Originally Posted by jezzmo
    Slidey said sydney but sandy said snog. Slidey said friday, but freddie said pieday. Slidey said tomorrow, a day can I borrow? Slidey says yes and will be beautifully dressed.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

I'll stab ya
    HSC
    N/A
    It's very hard to have a "tough road ahead" for 4u mathematics if you do a small amount of study each day. I do mean a small amount (30 minutes max probably). I almost gaurentee you will get an E4 if you do that.

What's hard is trying account for not doing that small amount of study each day for the past year when the HSC looms 60 or less days away (30 in my case - haha).
    If I could give one piece of advice for 4 unit i'd be repeating what Slide Rule said above. It cost me dearly.

VQ
    HSC
    Well....should admit that ext2 is sooo hard at the beginning, and finally when u reach the end...u will see that there are 'only' some topics that are hard and once they become hard, they will become as hard as u can imagine...not impossible to be done, but still....

and yes, regular study is needed...enjoying it is much more needed...(and should say, I love maths dearly these days..they are fun though quite 'challenging')....tho' 25 days to go, still haven't prepared yet for the exam >< doh!

HSC
    Ok, I've been looking through MX2 books, and surprisingly, looking at EX1 books, X2 seems easier to me. The integration looks a fuckload easier in 4U. its only conics and polynomials that look daunting. By the way, our class has just started the MX1 course for Year 11 [due to the accelerating the 2U course], so I've got little idea of whats in 3 unit [except from the help my tutor gives me].

. . .
    HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookie
    Ok, I've been looking through MX2 books, and surprisingly, looking at EX1 books, X2 seems easier to me. The integration looks a fuckload easier in 4U. its only conics and polynomials that look daunting. By the way, our class has just started the MX1 course for Year 11 [due to the accelerating the 2U course], so I've got little idea of whats in 3 unit [except from the help my tutor gives me].
    u havn't looked hard enough. in 3u integration they practically give u the answer by telling u what to substitute, whilst in 4u u gotta figure it out ur self most of the time. under integration look under "reduction" and tell me if its easier than 3u, i think u'll be surprised! if not then ur extremely smart!

HSC
    Don't forget to mention the harder 3U topic, which make up a significant part of the course. If you are completing the 3U prelim and the 3U HSC course at the same time, you may find that topic difficult to cope with in 4U.

HSC

yea yea

Quote Originally Posted by joeylike2hiphop
    man that is so fucken good!!!are your 4u exams really easy?
    i will own u in dota! u noob

pLuvia
    Quote Originally Posted by an_huu
    i will own u in dota! u noob
    that's really random

HSC
    Tip:
    Make sure your calculator is board approved, I just had to buy a new one the other day 2 weeks before my first math exam and I don't know how to use it I keep turning it off because i'm used to the buttons on my old calc...
    myspace.com/daylight_robbery__

Cadet
    HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev
    Tip:
    Make sure your calculator is board approved, I just had to buy a new one the other day 2 weeks before my first math exam and I don't know how to use it I keep turning it off because i'm used to the buttons on my old calc...
    how on earth did you sit internal assessment with a non-board approved calculator...
    //Subjects
    +Chemistry
    +Biology
    +Physics
    +Adv. English
    +Ext. 2 Maths

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by DistantCube
    how on earth did you sit internal assessment with a non-board approved calculator...
    They didn't check... they apparently don't at our school, but just to be safe I got a new one
    myspace.com/daylight_robbery__

HSC
    N/A
    when i first saw this topic, i thaught it would simply say RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!

but i am finding that im getting better marks in 4u that 3u, and 4u is easier to study for, the first 4 questions prodictable, where 3u is just all jumbled up
    Up With This I Will Not Put

needmorecustomstatusspace dawso's Avatar
    HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by ishq
    No.
    It depends on what you're good at.
    And some languages scale more.

David is right - EE2 takes a lot more out of you.
    as if, 4unit is the most intellectually challenging course so if this is what u think is hard then 4unit takes the cake, if u think the amount of work is what determines hard then im sorry, but 4unit english's 30 page short story doesnt even come close 2 the 220 page folio and product i produced for design and technology...

HSC
    Even though I'm not that interested in Maths, nor am I a genius at it, I find that 4u provides a psychological boost to your confidence if you can partially get on top of it. I joined 4u a few weeks late, so straight from the start my rankings were at the bottom. But I was able to climb about 10 places in each subsequent assessment following the first two, and I rkn it's helped my confidence since every other subject seemed like a piece of cake for me compared to 4u.

So I rkn, if you're not that great at maths you can still do 4u if you have the right attitude. Think "If I can conquer 4u maths I can conquer every other subject" rather than "I suck at 4u it's gonna kill my UAI"
    Last edited by _dhj_; 22 Oct 2005 at 3:32 PM.

HSC
    N/A
    more like "if you can do 4u, you can understand forign languages and do any other subjuct, except ENGLISH"
    Up With This I Will Not Put

Rax
    Custom Me up Scotty
    HSC
    hey I just started 4U
    And I didnt know the whole 2 unit jig until my teacher told me a few days ago. The thing is I was really pawning the Mathematics course (got 96% in mathematics and 84% in ext1) and I was wondering if doing the 4U and getting my Maths cancelled is the best thing. We have only done complex numbers and eh thats going straightforward but conics looks like a bitch.
    any comments?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information