teaching at ACU (1 Viewer)

brookelyn-j

HSC
hey alll

anyone do teaching at ACU? how is it? good bad or something inbetween? lol, my dad is studying there now, and he likes it... so i guess thats good

brookelyn xox

SweetSeasons

HSC
yeah, it's really good.. the education teachers are all a tiny bit batty.. but i guess that comes with them studdying how the human mind works most of their lives :p

what kind of teaching are u wanting to do?

HSC
It's also really great going to a uni where most people are doing teaching because it's like we all have that common thing rather than those horrified looks you get when telling people you want to teach lol :p ACU is a really good uni :)

HSC
Hey Ange!!! :) Good good!! Sooo loving the time off!! I just added you to msn, it said you didn't have msn for some reason lol anyway ill PM you my email to add me if there's any probs.

quinn82

HSC
the best uni for teaching, got my arts and teaching degree there, and the way they have structured their courses as well as their pracs beats pretty much all the other uni's. becuse its smaller you'll get to know pretty much everyoe in your course and the lecturers will know you because tut groups are smaller so more one on one time.

js5071

HSC
hey so what would you say is the best way to get into teaching? go do a bachelor of arts and then the post grad course? or just do the 4 yrs? what are you doing...
i dont know bit confused want to be a history techer but dont know how to go about it .
ACU is of intrest though.

SweetSeasons

HSC
i think, the easiest way would be the 4 year double degree.. that way your not bored with a year solid of education stuff

Zepol.

HSC
js5071 said:
hey so what would you say is the best way to get into teaching? go do a bachelor of arts and then the post grad course? or just do the 4 yrs? what are you doing...
i dont know bit confused want to be a history techer but dont know how to go about it .
ACU is of intrest though.
omg me 2 woo .. i was thinking if ACU was a good place to do education..

Melody

HSC
N/A
I would strongly recommend the 4yr BT/BA course over the Dip.

I'm in my 3rd year of the course and absolutely loving it! You get a lot more practicum experience and do a lot more education subjects. Thinking about it, I think we do two times the number of units in education as DipEd students. Half my units this semester are in common with Dip students and the difference is noticable.

As far as ACU goes, if you want to do teaching, go to ACU. That's what all my teachers told me in high school and I'm glad I followed their advice. Honestly, I wouldn't go anywhere else for teaching.

It's a great uni, great atmosphere. Smaller student numbers make it a bit like a large high school in some ways, everyone knows everyone and the staff can give individual attention. I found the transition from high school to ACU very smooth because you don't have the culture shock like in larger universities where you might feel like a number.

There is a great mix of students as well with a lot of mature age students studying education and/or arts so you get to know a wide variety of people.

I love ACU so much I'm planning on staying on and doing Honours and who knows what else after :-D

If you have any questions, just ask here or email :)

quinn82

HSC
I started off doing a BT/BA, then changed when i had my son, you definitely get more concentrated prac time with the BT/BA but for someone who couldn't spare ten weeks of unpaid work (which is the size of the last prac block) i opted to drop the BT i finished my Ba and then did the Dip Ed. However, every student studying teaching has to complete successfully a standard amount of prac time, so which ever avenue you choose it will equal the same amount of prac experience.
at the end at the end of the day you still end up with a teaching degree. heaps of people say you'll get a job quicker or that schools prefer that you have a BT/BA, i can tell you that so long as you are available to work, that is what will dictate whether you'll teach.
A lot of my friends studied history at ACU, they have and they have all said that their lecturers were fantastic.

HSC
can someone tell me about the secondary teaching cousre, like humanites or techonoly and wat does it inolve??

Melody

HSC
N/A
As far as course structure for BT/BA goes, take a look here:
http://my.acu.edu.au/student/course...on/bachelor_of_teachingbachelor_of_arts#_ftn2

I'm a humanities student so I'm not really sure of the technology requirements although I know it follows the same structure.

In plain english, for the Bachelor of Arts component of the degree, you complete 16 units in the first 3 years. 8 units in your major (eg history, economics, theology)(if you complete a major in theology then you MUST complete another major instead of doing minors), then 4 units in a minor (eg history, theology etc) then either 4 units in another minor or 4 elective units.

So that's the Arts component.

For the Bachelor of Teaching Component, you do 7 core Education Studies units and 1 elective Education Studies unit.

You do 2 core curriculum studies units and then 4 units of elective curriculum studies (2 units in each of the teaching areas that you have chosen and studied in the Arts component of your degree).

In the 2nd year of your degree, you do Professional Experience 1 which involves a Morning-A-Week visit to a school designated by the university for 9 weeks. You mainly observe and help in the classroom for this placement but you also teach a few half lessons and do a whole lesson or two.

At the end of the 2nd year, you complete 70hrs (2 weeks) of Community Outreach which is basically volunteering somewhere of your choosing. The University also helps with getting placements. You are visited once or twice by a University Supervisor and after it has finished you go into uni for a debriefing session. I volunteered at a local special school and found this aspect of the course very enriching.

In the 3rd year of your degree, you do Professional Experience 2 (4 weeks) which involves 5 initial days of observations and getting familiar with the school and your classes and then around 30 lessons as well as additional observations. Your University Supervisor comes out about twice and observes your lessons and gives you feedback.

In the 4th year, you complete your internship (10 weeks plus 5 days of observation). By the end of the internship, you are teaching near to a full teaching load, ready to go out and teach!

Does that make enough sense? lol If it doesn't, let me know and I'll give you an example :)

It is a very thorough course and it is designed to give you the knowledge, the skills and the support to be able to teach full-time when you graduate.

Can you tell I want you to do this course? lol :-D Seriously, if you want to do teaching then ACU is the place to be.

HSC
Awww, thanks so much for the advic e
but it sounds like sounds like scoo much, i duno even know if i cud do it
but i;m definaley goin to ACU!!!!!!
also... wen do u pick all the units and stuff like that?

Melody

HSC
N/A
It seems like a lot but it doesn't get heavier until later in the course. A full-time load is 4 units per semester (about 12hrs face-to-face).

You'll pick your units when you go into uni to enrol (that's what it was when I started but it may be online now), you'll pick units for both semesters from memory but you can always change the 2nd semester units closer to 2nd semester.

damnueconomics

poor poor student
HSC
i did BA and am going to do a dip ed. i personally dont like the education type subject and would much prefer it all to be crammed into one big blob. i heard dip ed is pretty full on but as other people said either way you pretty much have the same thing and you do it in the same amount of time. there are minor differences like in BA you can have 2 majors and 2 minors of your choice where in bt/ba one of your majors has to be education and then you have a major and minor subject i think. if you do do ba any education units you do dont get counted if you go for dip ed. they changed the rules this year...

xxdarcyxx

HSC
hey,

my plan is to go to acu ( 2010) and do Secondary teaching , humanities...

i was just wondering how the whole majors and minors things work because i really want to do drama but i thin its only a minor? also can u minor in theology? because im interested in being able to teach drama, history and religion so yh im just trying to figure it all out?

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

C6H12O6-Glucose

HSC
in response to brookelyn-j's comment 'anyone do teaching at ACU?'

NO I, UNLIKE ALL YOU FOOLS, DIDN'T FAIL AT LIFE AND HAVE TO RESORT TO TEACHING PRIMARY AGED CHILDREN HOW TO ADD 2 AND 2. PS: THOSE KIDS ARE ACTUALLY SMARTER THAN YOU!:bomb:

Melody

HSC
N/A
in response to brookelyn-j's comment 'anyone do teaching at ACU?'

NO I, UNLIKE ALL YOU FOOLS, DIDN'T FAIL AT LIFE AND HAVE TO RESORT TO TEACHING PRIMARY AGED CHILDREN HOW TO ADD 2 AND 2. PS: THOSE KIDS ARE ACTUALLY SMARTER THAN YOU!:bomb:

Warning: Do not feed the trolls

melodic_gal

HSC
hey alll

anyone do teaching at ACU? how is it? good bad or something inbetween? lol, my dad is studying there now, and he likes it... so i guess thats good

brookelyn xox
Well that depends ...what kind of teacher you want to be eg: Secondary, Primary or Early Childhood etc.. most importantly you have to really want it.

I am studying Early Childhood Teaching, and I am loving it the teachers are very helpful, classes are smaller and there prac.. I love and enjoy my prac..
I am enjoying myself and learning ACU and I like the fact that I have opinions when I finish this degree like going into 4th year =Primary. I mean what more can you ask for :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)