do you have to enrol online? (1 Viewer)

MiTcHeLL4188

HSC
Hey was just wondering if you u must enrol online, can i wait until i get there for oweek and enrol then?

And also wat is the uni like? like in general, people, student social life etc....and wat have u guys herd about austin college

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I didn't enrol online in my first year (2006). We did it during O Week, however, enrolling online is convenient and relatively easy. And being the dinosaur that I am - I'm older than more than a few third years - it's possible that they don't do O Week enrolment anymore. Said o Week enrolment is also not an option for Returners, so you should get used to it.

As for what we've heard ... well, I'm currently a student there. Specifics would be appreciated as to what you want to know, but I can tell you Austin is the Party First, Study Later college. I know a third-year there and even he admits it. Austin is the butt of many a joke relating to an incident of an infectious nature a few years back. Local Legend puts it as starting anywhere between twenty minutes and twenty years ago, but most people don't let the facts get in the way of a laugh at Austin's expense.

ybnormal

The depths of my mind are the safest places
HSC
you have to have a reason now not to enrol online, such as not having any acess at all to internet. a public library in your hometown is apparently good access to internet.

this is new this year and the reason i know it is that i couldnt enrol onl,ine (one, very limited access to internet, currently have wireless from god knows where, i think a neighbour hasnt password proteted, lol) and two, i refused to answer one of their stupid questions.

so, i had some 'lovely' converdations with these people, to no avail. therefore, not enrolling at une... figured rmit wanted me cos they accomadated my refusal to answer stupid ethnicity questions :)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
The actual online enrollment doesn't take very long if you know what you're doing. And as first-years, you probably won't have much in the way of subject choices as you'll mostly be doing core units (it's a slightly different story if you're in the Arts Faculty as you need to know what you intend to major in). It's like online shopping: you log on, pick your units and put them in your basket, and sign up for them. And you don't need to worry about subject clashes as you can't enrol in two units that are incompatible with one another. You will, however, have to be very careful because while the online timetable may say there is a free tutorial or seminar, these depend on student numbers to be continued. So if there's not enough numbers, tutes will be axed, and that could well be the one that doesn't clash. Believe me on this one; I got caught out last semester and failed a subject because of it.

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
Jokes at Austin's expense are like water off a ducks back for us. The incident occurred i believe a couple of years before i was there which would make it around 2000. Austin is great but everyone will say that about their colleges oh and over a 90% pass rate in the subjects undertaken by the students there. Half the people who do law are from there.

Ginny11

HSC
Re: random

anyone know whats on the early entry forms???? whats it mainly based on?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Re: random

Ginny11 said:
anyone know whats on the early entry forms???? whats it mainly based on?
Would you care to specify the type of early entry forms you're taking about? I'm going to figure they're the SRAS form for the time being as that's the main way of doing it, but it's been four years since I filled them in my ownself, so things may have changed since then.

Anyway, I do believe the forms are pretty straightforward, though SRAS is oly offered to certain degrees. Some of the less commonly-studied degrees and the medicine ones are not available through SRAS. This is all based on stuff from four years ago, but when I applied, I had to fill in which degrees I'd be applying to under the system and the school prinicpal had to assess whether or not I'd be likely to succeed in tertiary studies.

Ginny11

HSC
Early entry

Yeah i mean for UNE SRAS.... I was going to try and get in that way for law?
I don't know if i should be doing community work or volunteering to make myself look good or what...i also have no idea how competitive it is which makes it that much harder as to whether i should stick with that plan or make others?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Re: Early entry

Ginny11 said:
Yeah i mean for UNE SRAS.... I was going to try and get in that way for law?
I don't know if i should be doing community work or volunteering to make myself look good or what...i also have no idea how competitive it is which makes it that much harder as to whether i should stick with that plan or make others?
You can volunteer and do community work if you want ...it just won't do anything for your SRAS. The system is based on your academic perfomance, and while a residential college might be interested in your doing that sort of thing, the admissions centre really isn't.

I don't really know what numbers they're willing to take through SRAS; I don't even know if Law is accepted as a part of the system. You should certainly look into it, but you should also do your usual uni preferences like everyone else just in case you don't get into SRAS, can't get in, get better marks than expected, or change your mind.

This is the way the world works, and it's not just uni applications that it applies to: you're not going to get accepted to the first thing you try. You should apply to anything and everything that comes your way because if you only apply to one expecting to get in, subsequently don't and haven't made any other plans ... where does tha leave you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)