How much should i take for my college? (1 Viewer)

MiTcHeLL4188

HSC
Hey just wondering how much stuff should i take to put in my college room? is there like a limit? can i bring posters n that?

BlackDragon

HSC
Common sense is the limit really. Yeah you can bring posters. All this stuff was on the sheets you got in your letter of acceptance.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
MiTcHeLL4188 said:
Hey just wondering how much stuff should i take to put in my college room? is there like a limit? can i bring posters n that?
You're only really limited by the size of your room. Since you're a Fresher, you'll be living in what is actually quite a small room unless you get lucky and land a larger room.

There's another thread around by ballerinabarbie that lists a lot of the useful stuff to bring, which is basically everything save bed linen. Posters are allowed, but you cannot stick them up with something that will leave a mark and I believe Austin don't like things being put on glass surfaces. Anything electrical MUST be tagged (most electricians offer this service).

*Lozzie*

HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
Anything electrical MUST be tagged (most electricians offer this service).
how strict are they one the tagging thing??? im getting a friend to do mine this week but rinni was saying one of her friends didnt have anyting tagged last year so whats the go with it?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
They didn't come around enforcing it last year, but they do like to know that everything yuo have is safe and that it won't burn the college down. You'd probably want to know that you won't be the cause of a fire as well.

lawgrad1

HSC
In the 5 years I spent at college, although the "tagging" rule was there, it was never enforced (that's not to say that they wouldn't do it this year though). You'll see the tags on most electrical items that the college owns. Basically it's there to ensure that the electrical items used are safe and won't short circuit and burn the place down.

Talking about electrical items, you will need to bring a power board. There are a limited number of power points in rooms which makes it difficult to plug a computer/tv/stereo etc in.

mickant72

HSC
Lawgrad, my compliments on the picture. Dallas = great show

On the topic of taking electrical stuff does anyone know if the colleges have antenna sockets in the room or do you have to use the old plug in ones?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I can't speak for the other colleges, but I know Duval requires plug-in ones. Most colleges have more than one TV, so unless you're looking to watch the Grands Prix (which I am known to do) and it doesn't start until 2am, you probably don't need a TV in your room. Not only is it a waste of space, but you can get plug-ins for your computer.

On a side note, most colleges DO NOT allow double-adaptors. You'll need powerboards (preferrably surge-protected ones), and they will need to have electrical tags.

still waiting

HSC
hey i just thought id add my bit to this, no college that i know of has antenna sockets everyone needs to bring like rabbit ears or something and dont expect to get prime/seven whatever you want to call it mostly you cant unless your rooms facing a certain way etc etc

lawgrad1

HSC
Thanks for the Dallas comment mickant72 - I'm a big fan of Dallas (JR would have to be my fav character).

Anyway, EPC does not have antenna sockets in individual rooms (although they are in common rooms ....). Personally I had a computer and TV in my room because I wanted to watch shows while I was studying/playing computer games. Like ObjectsInSpace said, you can't use double adaptors at EPC.

*Lozzie*

HSC
still waiting said:
dont expect to get prime/seven whatever you want to call it mostly you cant unless your rooms facing a certain way etc etc
are you serious???? but all the best shows (ie greys anatomy) are on prime

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Oh, she's serious alright. Reception for Prime is iffy at best and depends upon you landing a decent room.

However, if your college is anything like mine, there's a following of shows like Grey's, and you'll probably be able to find a bunch of people watching the show in the Junior Common Room, a room with semi-decent reception, or anywhere in the college - like our games room - with a television. Much more social than watching in your room, too. But if you're like me and you watch the Grands Prix, you usually have to make your own way.

rev-ise

HSC
I think something helpful there would be an antenna that can receive UHF and VHF, as I'm quite sure the reason you can't get Prime very well is because it is broadcast as VHF, whereas all of the other free to air channels use UHF.

cmifsud

HSC
Austin apparently is the only college with TV sockets in every room. On the open day tour they boasted about it to my group. Also if your reception is iffy, try getting a set top box. They are only like $70 bucks from woolies. At home I had a reception that nearly un watchable and turned the digital box on and it was fantastic. They plug into any Tv that has AV inputs (the yellow, white and red plugs). Even though its more social to watch Tv in the common room, sometimes there are shows on (I too like watching F1) that no one else wants to watch and it just becomes inconvenient.

Austin facilities page says it has TV. http://www.une.edu.au/campus/austin/facilities.php3

Also, why aren't double adapters allowed?

Last edited:

aussiechica7

HSC
bring lots of photos of friends and family to stick on the inside of your door/on the wall near ur bed/desk/whatever :)... and a good cushion, and shower thongs and toothbrush and...

yeah u get the idea

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
cmifsud said:
Also, why aren't double adapters allowed?
Double adaptors don't actually have a cable that can plug into the socket the way a powerboard does; they go directly in. Because of this, they cannot be tagged; therefore there are no guarantees that it is safe and some adaptors are really old. Besides, the power sockets are often located just above the desk, so there's no way you could fit it in. Plus, powerboards have twice as many ports,

*Lozzie*

HSC
ok so this might be a really silly question but im going to ask it anyway ... do we need to bring our own desk chair? or does the college give us one?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
You'll be provided with one. They ain't exactly the most comfortable chair in the world (I've been known to use the second chair in my room instead of it), but you do get one. Bringing your own chair is unneccessary.

Eniledam

HSC
I would suggest bringing a plate, bowl, cutlery etc, basic eating utensils. We have most stuff in our kitchenette at college (I'm at Page) I just prefer to use my own stuff as I know how clean it is, just a personal preference. Heaps of my mates and I also have little (40L to bar fridge size) fridges in our rooms. Keep drinks and stuff cold.... Also LOADS of coats and jumpers and the like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)