Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UNE On-campus Accommodation

HSC

Re: Whats accommadation like?

I only just found this thread, and it has been a great help just reading the replies. I am hopefully going to armidale and I have to move away from home and I was really worried about what to do. There are so many options.

Thanks for all the information.

"iwnf"
    HSC

all in all ur going to go the college which appeals to u more...
    im at austin and can honnestly say that after 2 weeks or so the size of ur room doesnt matter...the number of showers doesnt matter...its the ppl u live with and what u make of it...
    i would avoid going to a specific college cos they have a bar (austin) or sinks in their rooms (alibies) or they have small floor numbers (dooval)...
    pick one that appeals to you...
    good luck...
    B.Nursing @ UNE 2oo6
    HSNS 274, HSNS 275, HSNS 276 and HHSC 237

The Hammer Is My Penis ObjectsInSpace's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

That vibe is very hard to communicate online. We're all fiercely supporting our own college, so while I could say that Austin undeservedly gives themselves self-praise and proves nothing is sacred (Duval vs. Drummond is like Albies vs. Robb; holy ground, so HANDS OFF - and that goes for all of you), it wouldn't be very nice of me, despite being absolutely true.

The problem is that unless you've been to Open Day, you're not going to get a feel for the colleges, so you'll need to know what each college has going for them and you'll get some idea of what the atmosphere is like. Yes, Austin has a bar and they're the only college to have one, so obviously they like to have a drink. Duval, on the other hand, is much harder to describe since you have to experience it first-hand and Open Day doesn't cut it. We're the underdogs because we're easily the smallest college, we don't know the meaning of the words "give up", we're the college that doesn't surrender, even if we know it's a losing battle. Of course, others - notably Drummond and Austin - will tell you otherwise, but that's who we are. The underdogs.

HSC

get this! i go to tas and my tutor is the wife of the head of earle page and we're getting a special tour this arvo. private and all! wooohoooooooo! its snoop time. (because we're having an end of year drinks thing at the masters lodge)

HSC
    N/A

Get this: the Master of Earle Page is an ex-Duvallian. He was even President of the JCR in the late 1970s (1979 from memory). That's how good we are.

HSC

get this: i love earle page! its such a beautiful and green college, love the dining room and the rooms are so warm. i know your on hols, but did anyone see us there? we were having heaps of food at the bbq area then walked around a bit.

i just applied to earle as well, what do you think my chances are of getting in? considering that i'm a pretty strong student, lots of community service and love sport. do most people apply around this time?

HSC

I'm glad you like Earl Page from what i have seen it is very nice. I have nothing against any of the colleges all have there advantages and faults. But what i do know is Austin won SFK this year again so forgive them if they sing there praises a little too loudly- deservedly. I will have to remember to post the DVD of it up so people can see it. I will praise Duval when they win it. I never knew Duval was classified with the 'underdog' cliche- but then again i was not given a sheet of paper showing the size of the different colleges on it. But members of my family who have gone to Duval have had a great time. As for me i am more concerned with seeing UNE become more known throughout Australia and getting on marketings back- the law faculty thinks they are a joke... Some interesting reading in todays SMH about the mediocrity of university education.

B Bus/Law finished in 2007 at UNE.
    Attending College of Law at St Leonards from 7th of January.
    www.une.edu.au courses offered in 2008 http://www.une.edu.au/studentcentre/Admissions.htm

HSC

I think you visit the colleges around the end of the year by going on a campus tour--- look at http://www.une.edu.au/news/campustours.pdf

B Bus/Law finished in 2007 at UNE.
    Attending College of Law at St Leonards from 7th of January.
    www.une.edu.au courses offered in 2008 http://www.une.edu.au/studentcentre/Admissions.htm

HSC
    N/A

BlackDragon, I don't think the college scrutinises your academic and social backgrounds - I don't have much of either and I got into Duval. Sport will be examined if you play one college's Big Sport (ie rugby union at Albies or Robb), but it's not a major thing.

And machine, come and see me when Duval win SFK next year. With luck, I'll be our rep

HSC

BlackDragon: Glad that you like Earle Page. I'm not sure about this year, but generally places at EPC fill up pretty quickly. I would say that your chances of getting in are pretty good since you've applied before the UAIs etc come out. That being said, it all depends on how many rooms are available and how many have applied before you and will get in.

Further, it's always good to have a couple of extra sporting/cultural etc activities in your application - particularly if you're applying for a residential scholarship. However, it's not a necessity to getting into college. The main thing is that you get in early and are accepted into a course at UNE.

Additionally:

Congrats to Austin for winning this years SFK. I remember the nail-biting finale to last years SFK competition when Earle Page and Austin tied for 1st place overall.

Having finished my degree already, I think that UNE is slowly becoming more recognised around the country. Certainly a lot more people than I expected know about UNE when I tell them where I studied. However, there will always be the preference for marketing to do a bit more.

HSC

Hey.. I fully support all the people that say that colleges are no better then any other. Of course colleges are going to have strengths and weaknesses, you just have to play those to your advantage. Colleges are colleges: they all offer just about the same facilities (with minor variations).
    The big thing I love about Duval is not about the big rooms, or the fact we can have our single beds change in to double beds, or that we only have 2 showers or whatever, I love that our college is a community. I feel that over the past 8 months of me being in college, I have made numerous new friends, and I would go further to say that college is a family. All colleges are highly competitive (as you could imagine), but you need to find the college that suits you.

and to "object in space", duval came 2nd this year in performance, would love to come 1st next year!

Ancient Member
    HSC
    N/A

Black Dragon - If you've applied to EPC already you should get a place. EPC, although the largest college, has to turn away roughly 70-80 applicants each year. Plus, because we are now given room holds every holidays, there should be even more applicants (one would imagine).

So, welcome to EPC!

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Jama@dooval
    and to "object in space", duval came 2nd this year in performance, would love to come 1st next year!
    Vote for me for next year's SFK rep and your heart's desire will come true. You know my name.

HSC

yes. your name is objects inspace. I sure will, Mr Inspace.

HSC

hey all i put in my collage application last week so what do u think my chances of getting in are??? i put austin then earle page then duval do you think i left it too late?? hope not

also i know each collage has a computer room and everything but does each room have internet access i heard they do and just wondering thanks
    Will You Quit Trying To Break Up With Me , Your Always Trying To Break Up With Me And We're Not Even Together

Ancient Member
    HSC
    N/A

Yep - all rooms have internet access - it cost $100 to set it up though (pretty cheap for the convenience). The computer rooms are crap mostly.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by machine169
    At the recent northern university games we got gold in girls hockey, some of the girls coming from Austin. We also got a silver in Rugby with a mixture of people from the different colleges-mainly from Robb and Albies.
    we actually got silver in the girls hockey.. i was in the team.. and alot of the team are from robb

HSC

i've got two more questions. firstly, (probably a yes) but does earle page have readily available ironing facilities? and also, how many freshers does earle page take in every year? and how many first years are there overall at the uni?

cheers

HSC
    N/A

Most colleges have ironing facilities in the laundries. I know Duval does and I can't think of any reason why the other colleges wouldn't.

As for the number of Freshers, first years usually make up the highest number of students followed by second and third years. Duval took 80 freshers this year of its 220 capacity. I don't know the exact stats since it varies from year to year as people leave college (whether Valedicting or levaing for a traineeeship or going overseas as a part of a degree) or join from another college. This naturally messes with the number of rooms available, so no-one would be able to give you an exact number.

HSC

BlackDragon:

Earle Page has iron facilities on each floor - they are located in each floor's common room. As ObjectsInSpace indicated, it is difficult to determine how many freshers Earle Page will take this year as it is dependent on how many spare rooms there are (ie: how many residents are moving out). Generally there are approx 100 or so freshers (out of almost 300 residents).

HSC

ok thanks.
    how do the rooms get decided? is it just first in best dressed for all the first years except for all the rooms that are already taken by older years?

HSC
    N/A

It's usually randomly assigned. You don't get to pick your rooms until the end of the year (at least, that's the way it works at Duval). A few freshers will be lucky to get returner rooms (we had one person get a balcony room this year; but then, she was older than more than a few third years), but you generally won't be allowed to choose your rooms. That's a luxury that only the second years and above can get.

HSC

Rooms are randomly assigned based on what's left but you will generally be placed near gerros (2nd yrs and above) who are doing a similar degree to you.

HSC

oh, that's really good actually then.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by lawgrad1
    Rooms are randomly assigned based on what's left but you will generally be placed near gerros (2nd yrs and above) who are doing a similar degree to you.
    Wow, that's organised. Ours seemed to be totally random and the students who deferred a year seemed to get better rooms (two got balconies, but one was forced to move; another got a Phone Room) ... except me. It's totally random for us, but offers to new students are made before returners.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information