Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UNE On-campus Accommodation

HSC

Re: Whats accommadation like?

That's interesting that offers to new students are made before returners. I remember at EPC that we put in our room preferences at the end of the year. In any case, at EPC there's generally a wide variety of courses being studied by the students so you should be able to find some one else doing the same course as you. I remember that when I started (WAY back in 2001) there were 3 gerros on my floor studying law.

The Hammer Is My Penis ObjectsInSpace's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by lawgrad1
    That's interesting that offers to new students are made before returners. I remember at EPC that we put in our room preferences at the end of the year. In any case, at EPC there's generally a wide variety of courses being studied by the students so you should be able to find some one else doing the same course as you. I remember that when I started (WAY back in 2001) there were 3 gerros on my floor studying law.
    Well, we request rooms in Term 4 based on what we've done around college (ie, President, Vice, ex-RFs and such) over the course of a few days and re-apply to college so that they know who wants to come back and who won't be. Then they send out the offers confirming we're returning in mid-December, but it's already been mentioned in another thread that acceptance letters to Duval have already been sent out. It's not that we haven't applied, we're just waiting on confirmation.

HSC

At Austin you don't get to decide the rooms that you have when you first apply as a first year student. However, once you have lived at the college for a few weeks you can have the option of changing to a different room on a different block. This depends on the availability of the rooms. So if you make friends with lots of people on the other side of college you can have the option of moving rooms.

You can even change rooms within your block. For example rooms next to common rooms a generally very loud and talking can continue until late in the night, so if you don't like it you can have the option of changing to a different room on your block. This also depends on availability. You need to get permission to do this from your block's resident fellow. However, usually they don't have a problem with you doing this.

Btw I'm going into my third year at Austin so I know a thing or two about college life.
    "love maths. It just brings meaning to my life... every x and every y tells a story...it just touches me in places i've never been touched before."

Tenax Propositi

boredofstudies.org

Cadet
    HSC

At Robb, 2nd years and above get preference over freshers. If u have lived in one room for a year u will definately get that room again even if an older person wants it! The freshers are randomly assigned to rooms. I like the system we have in place. its good!!

HSC

wow i just found out that sir earle page was once a prime minister of australia.
    didn't know our lovely college was named after a pm!

HSC
    N/A

No, it was named after a former Prime Minister who attended the university. If they wantonly stuck the names of Prime Ministers on colleges, who knows what we'd end up with?

But I bet Wright Village would be Harold Holt College. Why? Because you might see them once a year and then they're gone.

HSC

Your post confuses me. I never said or even implied that was 'wantonly' given. Whether or not he attended une (which he evidently did), earle page was named after sir earle page, the prime minister, and that's what i was marvelling about.
    Last edited by BlackDragon; 30 Jan 2007 at 8:55 PM.

HSC

Besides being caretaker Prime Minister for a short period in 1939 following the death of Joseph Lyons, Sir Earle Page was the first Chancellor of UNE. He studied medicine at Sydney Uni.

Sir Earle Page died in 1961 and EPC (which opened in 1963) was named after him.

BTW - for those who might want to know a bit about Australian political history, Sir Earle Page held the seat of Cowper (my electorate) for 42 years.
    Last edited by lawgrad1; 31 Jan 2007 at 7:05 AM.

HSC

Besides being caretaker Prime Minister for a short period in 1939 following the death of Joseph Lyons, Sir Earle Page was the first Chancellor of UNE. He studied medicine at Sydney Uni.

Sir Earle Page died in 1961 and EPC (which opened in 1963) was named after him.

BTW - for those who might want to know a bit about Australian political history, Sir Earle Page held the seat of Cowper (my electorate) for 42 years.
    I found out about him because my family is related to his at one point. I think my great-grandmother was his aunt or something like that.

My dad was surprised when I applied for Earle Page College as he recognised the name.
    Now's the time to be alive - to see it all happen, to be a part of it. That makes the blood race, and each breath and adventure.

Silk - The Belgariad

My Homepage: Grey Eyes Dot Net

HSC

What are all the other origins of the other college names? Anyone know?

HSC
    N/A

I believe Mary White has some connection with the original land grand for the university. Not too sure about the rest - I know there's a Duval High School and Duval Street in town, so I gather it must be a local thing, and St. Albert's is owned by the chruch, so they could name it whatever they wanted - but they're probably mostly named for benefactors or some such.

HSC

Besides EPC, the history of the other colleges are as follows:

Mary White College was named after Mary White of Saumarez Homestead (where I used to be a tour guide). She was on the New England Uni College Advisory Council from 1938 till 1948.

Robb College was named after William Menzies Robb who was the Registrar for the New England Uni College and then UNE.

Duval College was named after Mount Duval (which was named after John Duval - a convict & pastoralist of the area).

Austin College was named after Dr R.B Austin who was the Government Medical Officer in Armidale at the time of the New England Uni College's establishment.

Drummond & Smith College used to be separate colleges (Drummond College and S.H Smith House). Drummond College was named after David Henry Drummond (who was influential in the establishment of UNE). S.H. Smith House was named after Stephen Henry Smith, the former Minister for Education.

Wright Village was originally known as the Claude St Flats. However, following the closure of Wright College (which was named in honour of the Wright family) the Claude St flats were renamed.

St Albert's College was named after St Albert the Great - the patron saint of scientists.

For further information ......

Booloominbah was the family home of Frederick Robert White (the uncle of Mary White of Mary White College). F.R. White's son in law, Thomas Foster granted the home to Sydney Uni to establish the New England Uni College.

With thanks to my Arts major in history for providing me with the above information.

HSC
    N/A

Patron saint of scientists?

Seems a contradiction of terms given the church's collison with science (ie Copernicus, Gallileo) ...

HSC

are there any pool (as in the cue sport) facilities at une? there probably won't be in the colleges me thinks, and i don't think there are any at sport une, so hmm? do any colleges have pool/darts etc.? or anywhere on campus?

just wondering.

HSC

Austin had a pool table when i as on the tour there.

HSC

EPC had a pool table when I was there but since I finished in 2005, I'm not sure whether it's still there.

HSC
    N/A

Well Duval had a pool table before it was cool. Austin didn't have one when I went for the tour there and I know Mary White is getting one. And we've still got one thing you don't: the Duval Curve.

If your college doesn't have one, I'm pretty sure the Building Formerly Known As The 'Stro has them. Whether or not they're still there ...

HSC

Austin has a pool table end of story.

B Bus/Law finished in 2007 at UNE.
    Attending College of Law at St Leonards from 7th of January.
    www.une.edu.au courses offered in 2008 http://www.une.edu.au/studentcentre/Admissions.htm

HSC

EPC had a pool table when I was there but since I finished in 2005, I'm not sure whether it's still there.
    hey page has a coffee shop right? (or so i've heard). what's it like? prices? etc?

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon
    hey page has a coffee shop right? (or so i've heard). what's it like? prices? etc?
    Or ... maybe we can wait until we get to college and be surprised!

HSC

lol. ten days is a long time, objectsinspace, a long time.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon
    lol. ten days is a long time, objectsinspace, a long time.
    Hey, some of us have to wait half as long again! Returners don't go back until the 16th.

HSC
    N/A

and i get to go back to college this sunday.... ahh the joys of importance

HSC
    N/A

And I thought I knew who you were ... actually, I'm pretty sure I still do, so I'm guessing it's safe to say you aren't on O Week?

HSC
    N/A

of course im on o-week committee

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information