What to bring to college (1 Viewer)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Because this sub-forum gets so little traffic, I'm doubtful the old thread on what to bring still exists, much less whether anyone will dig it up (besides, it's full of crap). So instead of answering countless threads on what to bring, I'm going to put it all in the one place: right here.

This is a list of pretty much everything you should at the very least consider bringing to UNE; common sense dictates that most of it should be brought, but I've found that rather lacking of late. Anyway, here it is:

-------

CLOTHES
If you can wear it, bring it. Armidale can (and probably will) experience any kind of weather you can think of. Moreover, the colleges host just about every single kind of event. So while t-shirts, baordshorts, jeans, thongs and the like work for classes, be sure to bring formal stuff as well, because all the colleges host formal events. They're by no means compulsory, but you should still go to them if only because they're formal dinners). Guys, this means you WILL need a suit and tie; girls, you'll need formal dresses.

Above all else, bring warm clothes. The mercury frequently drops into negative numbers during the winter months, and if you're not used to it, you're going to need jumpers and the like.

CLASS
Generally, note books work. Some people go in for the five-subject binders, while others prefer to have loose leaf paper (don't bother taking your laptop to class; I've never heard of anyone doing it). Increasingly, the lectures are moving to a more online component, which means many of the unit materials are on CD-ROM. And while you don't have to write anything down - you're in the adult world now, as will be treated as such - you should at least bring something, just in case.

TEXTBOOKS
I'll tell you now: textbooks are expensive. Nothing is going to burn a hole in your back pocket like these babies; if you're lucky, you'll get away with nothing more than a three hundred dollar kick in the pants. For science and med students, it can be more than double that for a single book. So rather than buying them all in O Week, wait until the returners get back. Trust me, we're generally looking to get rid of text books, and we usually give them away cheaply; personally, I sell them at half price (plus ten percent if they contain notes and the like). Talk to returners as soon as you can, because the good ones go quickly.

ELECTRICAL
Most of the colleges only have one or two power points, so be sure to bring powerboards. Make sure they're surge-protected as well, and don't bring double adapters; they're a fire hazard. While computers are provided by the college, you're better off bringing your own. A printer helps, too, as the university introduced a new system last year where you pay by the page. Otherwise, it's up to you; televisions, video game consoles, stereos, bar fridges, hair dryers and straighteners (but you should only use these in the bathrooms; the fire alarms are hyper-sensitive).

LINEN
As far as I know, the colleges all provide their own linen. You can bring extra if you want, but you'll have to be the one to clean it. You should probably bring your own pillow, too, because the college ones feel like they've been sourced second-hand from a one-star hotel at times. Bring a couple of towels - bath and beach - as well. Bed extenders - a piece of foam that gives you a foot or so of extra space - can be purchased from returners.

OTHER STUFF
Make sure to bring some of your own glasses and the like if you want to have a few drinks. Your own cutlery and bowls/plates can help if you're looking to make two-minute noodles. You'll have to wash it yourself, but all the colleges have kitchenettes.

You can decorate your own room however you like, provided that it's not offensive (so think twice before getting a girlie calendar!). Plenty of blue-tack is adviseable, or those little hooks with the sticky backing if you're hanging frames.

A bag of coin is also useful for drying clothes; the Duval dryer runs on twenty-cent pieces, but I can't speak for other colleges. Otherwise, clothes airers are useful, as clothes take forever to dry outside from the end of term one through to the middle of term four (and if you do hang outside, you do so at your own risk; there have been reports of theft!).

AN OPEN MIND
Lame as it sounds, this is the most important thing to bring along. You're now well and truly in the adult world, and it's up to you to find out what it's like for yourself. There will be plenty of socialevents organised to help your transition into the university lifestyle, but don't be locking yourself up in your room watching re-runs of Red Dwarf when we're all downstairs having a good time. University is an experienced, and like all experiences, it's one to be embraced.

Conversely, don't come in expecting it to resemble most Hollywood films about people our age; college isn't about the proverbial sex, drugs and rock and roll. The opportunity to let your hair down is there, but that doesn't mean you'll go wild. You might be away from home for the first time, but don't go out and get absolutely wasted so that you're in a constant state of drunken-ness for a month straight. We want to know you, but we don't want to know your ugly side. We like you to be involved, and while there are people in place who can help you if you get into trouble with the booze, it's not an invitation to get so far off your face that you humiliate yourself. I know I sound like I'm lecturing you and I'm probably overstepping my bounds in saying this, but I've seen people who do really well at school get themselves booted out for constant drunked behaviour because they simply show no restraint.

We work before we play, but when we play, we play hard.

-------

Okay, so that's about it. If you've got any questions, fire away. I - and the other returners, if they're still floating about - will try and help you as best we can.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure all washing machines in all of the colleges are free to use - I knew I was forgetting something - but you do have to supply your own washing powder/fabric softner.

As for the dryers, I don't know; I'm Duvllian my ownself. I'd hazard a guess to say they do have them, but I wouldn't know how much they cost. Funnily enough, I have a friend going to Mary White this year, so if you were a 2010 Fresher, I'd probably be able to answer the question for you.

Whether you use the washing lines, coin-op driers or your own airer is a matter of personal preferece. They all cost next to nothing, though.

Andi0390

HSC
Hey,

I'm staying at Wright Village and have to bring my own sheets and blankets and such. Do you know if there is anywhere to post the stuff to that I will be able to pick up on the Sunday when I arrive?

What do most people do with the extra stuff they can't really take on planes?

namdog

HSC
It would probably be best to contact the college office. They'll let you know what to do in a situation like this.

BlackDragon

HSC
Are you at EPC? I was there for three years.

Nup, no ironing boards. You will be on one of ten floors and each floor has a common room with lounges and a tv, including an ironing board and iron.

lutz

HSC
N/A
i am a first year in EPC.

is it necessary to bring a fan?

will there be a desk lamp and headboard lamp or should i bring my own?

Andi0390

HSC
Lamp is a good question.

Why would you want a fan? Its freezing year round in Armidale.

BlackDragon

HSC
i am a first year in EPC.

is it necessary to bring a fan?

will there be a desk lamp and headboard lamp or should i bring my own?
You have a light and a desklamp, and sometimes a mirror lamp, but some people like to bring their own. There is no harm in it.

namdog

HSC
Why would you want a fan? Its freezing year round in Armidale.
It does get pretty hot at times. I know a fair few people who have fans and they were put to good use last november.

Laan

HSC
hmmm i wanna go to this uni next year...my only concern is....and sory if i sound extremely negative but dont laptops ever get stolen??

TheSevenFire

HSC
hmmm i wanna go to this uni next year...my only concern is....and sory if i sound extremely negative but dont laptops ever get stolen??
you can buy cables to lock your laptop to your desk they go into a port in most laptops and you can get combination locks or ones with keys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)