Wright Village Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Ashleet

HSC
changed my application to wright village, just wondering if anyone else is heading there?

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Not me... (if all goes to plan, at least. I think it's like my 6th preference of something)

natrap

I'm considering Wright Village if I go to UNE for Arts/Law. I don't really like the idea of set meal times and having room cleaned etc. Too much like a hotel or a camp. Not much like a home. I like the sound of the independence that living in Wright Village brings. Dunno whether I'd want 4, 6 or 8 person flat. I think 4 would be best. I'd like to hear what you think about it.

Ashleet

HSC
hey i'm doing arts/law too :). i think social wise 8 ppl would be cool, esp for me cause i' not gonna have any of my friends going there so you already have a few set people you know and you can expand from there, but seeing as you are *supposed* to be learning 4 or 6 would probably be better. it doesnt really bother me how many i stay with though. i'm ditto on the whole camp idea plus seeing as most people could survive on like $50 to $60 in food a week it works out so much cheaper. Also dont like the idea of mass food cooking, past experiences have never been good .

Where are you moving from?

natrap

I live in Killara on Sydney's North Shore. Have you already been accepted to UNE and/or Wright Village. I read some people have already been accepted to UNE but I don't see how. Main round offers don't come out till 19th January. Unless you got an Early round offer. What about Wright Village. I sent an email to them and the head guy there said "We will be receiving applications for several weeks more, although we have already received more than we can accommodate. But we do expect many cancellations."
I'm gonna drive up there on Sunday just to take a look around. I've gotta change preferences by the 5th. I got 84.1 UAI - Arts/Law was 80 the last two years so I think I'm pretty safe but you never know. It'd be a waste of $30 for the application fee if I do it now and don't get accepted to UNE. If Wright Village is really full I think I'd have to reconsider. All the other colleges are the catered/cleaned type - must be much higher demand for that. Just saw your email. I know where Warragamba is I think - south west isn't it - kinda between penrith and cambelltown?
So you've already been accepted to UNE - howd you manage that so soon. When did you put in your application for Wright Village? Do you know when they start accepting people?

bboy_insane

HSC
N/A
You can always transfer courses you know. Put down a single arts degree to cover yourself then switch when you can.

People have already been accepted through the SRAS scheme.

woohohoohoo

captain oblivious
HSC
im living at wright village nxt yr. im doin arts/law and im livin with 3 friends who are doin teachin and arts, we're livin in an 8 bedroom flat. in my opinion the collages were crap. seemed like a camp to me too.

natrap

Seems arts/law is pretty popular. where are you coming from woohohoohoo - not the easiest name to type out. have you already been offered a place at wright village. i was told they already have applications for more than their capacity, but they expect many cancellations because people change their mind about uni.

Ashleet

HSC
Originally posted by woohohoohoo
im living at wright village nxt yr. im doin arts/law and im livin with 3 friends who are doin teachin and arts, we're livin in an 8 bedroom flat. in my opinion the collages were crap. seemed like a camp to me too.
GO THE ARTS/LAW PPL, have you been accepted or waiting an offer?

woohohoohoo

captain oblivious
HSC
i was accepted thru that early entry thing. im from taree, up the coast from newcastle. yep ive been offered a place at the village, i handed my application form in at the open day. i was nice and early coz my cousin went to canb uni last yr and was stuck without a place for ages, had to stay with our aunty!

Ashleet

HSC
cool, i hope i hear from them sometime this week, i need to start buying stuff before i spend all the money i have left

natrap

Well I just had a big discussion - heated at times - with my parents about Wright Village and I have prevailed. I'm putting my application in now and am putting Wright Village as first preference. I hope we both get in and we see each other there soon. If your interested my other preferences were as follows: Austin, Drummond & Smith, Duval, Earle Page, Robb, Mary White, St Alberts.

Do you know if they look at what you wrote in Other Information when deciding whether or not to offer you a place? If not presumably it is just first in first serverd. If you can't remember it asks about community activities, cultural and sporting interests, why you want to live in a college and what contribution you can make to it, special needs, relationship to former college member, and my personal favourite "Other Comments".

Ashleet

HSC
YAY!! i just wrote in other info that oncampus residency was vital cause of the distance from home, the necessity factor should count towards something

natrap

Hmmm I didn't say anything about why I wanted to live on campus in general. I said why I wanted to live at Wright Village. I'd hope they would assume that I live quite a distance from home given that my address is in Sydney. The application said to contact the college that is your first preference 10 days after putting it in. Did you contact Wright Village to ask whether you got in?

Ashleet

HSC
i emailed the ppl at wright and there are no vacancies and they have a huge waiting list. its at a point in time where i didnt think it was worth risking not having accomodation so they forwarded my application on to duval (alot of other residencies are also full) So if you dont want to risk it i suggest you do the same

natrap

I was under the impression that if they are full they forward it onto your next preference immediately. Are you saying that I have to contact Wright and tell them to do so. And if they do can we still stay on their waiting list - for 2nd semester or 2nd year. Did they give you any idea how long the waiting list is?

I Thought you said Austin was your 2nd preference. Do you know which residences are full? What would you do if you don't get a place in any of them. I spose the other option is a shared place in town. The rent is so cheap compared to Sydney.

Anyway if we don't end up at the same residence then I'm sure we'll see each other in some Arts or Law classes. Though I read that the most common structure is to do only Arts units in first year. Do you know what Arts subjects you want to do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)