Considering UNE - Please Help! (1 Viewer)

natrap

I'm considering Arts/Law at UNE as my UAI isn't high enough for any other Universities. I live in Sydney so I'd obviously have to live there. Got a few questions I hope someone can answer by Jan 5th when I gotta finalise preferences.

Is the University much like any other? Teaching and all that.
Will it only be like 15-20 hours a week of classes? So what to do rest of time? Well obviously do some work but I mean socially. I won't know anyone going in - are most people in the same boat? What is there in Armidale? Do many people come from Sydney?
Is it possible to get a part-time job there. My parents would cover cost of accomodation and living expenses but I'd like to have some cash in hand. Being a University town I'd guess that the demand for jobs far out-numbers the supply.

Why is the UAI for Law (80) so much lower than all other Universities - the next nearest is 90? Is it simply that there is not a high demand for a University in the middle of nowhere? It's not a matter of the class of the University I hope!

The independence that comes with moving away from family is an attractive part of the package but how independent can one be living on campus with meals at set times etc. The Wright Village is an option I'd consider. Firstly when do residence applications have to be in by?
I read that you live in 4, 6 or 8 bedroom flats. Is each flat co-ed or single sex?
I assume that the bedrooms are just like the ones in all the other colleges (bed, desk, wardrobe) but what is the rest of the flat like?
Does each flat have its own lounge area with tv and vcr etc? Is the lounge area bigger in the 8 bedroom flat then in the 6, in turn bigger than the 4?
Is it 2 toilets and showers in all flats - 4, 6 or 8?
What is the cost of personal telephone and internet? Are you billed or are calls pre-paid? Does personal telephone mean each person has their own phone number - or is it 1 number for the whole flat?
I read that residents must supply their own cutlery and crockery. Do people usually bring with them or buy once they arrive? If each person brings their own then each flat could end up with 8 frying pans.
Are all shared costs such as food purely private matters to be sorted out by each flats residents?

I know thats a lot of questions but I have a lot of considerations. Hope to hear from current and prospective students.

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A
ahhh.. brain overload
ive been accepted to UNE next year.. i live in tamworth, about 120kms away and ive been there a few times..
the reason there scores are low is because of demand.. and not because of the quality of the teaching.. the teaching is top class
there are a few part time jobs in armidale.. it aint a huge place, but there are on campus jobs
i dont know wot your talking about with the flats.. i know nothing about wright village (ive been accepted into duval), i can only help with the catered for campuses, they are single rooms, with a bed, desk and wardrobe. there is i think 2 sets of toilets and showers on each floor of each block.
with the phone, you pay a fixed amount and u have all the calls u can muster, i think its like 66 bux for a year, 33 bucks connection fee and a 100 dollar a year internet connection fee
as far as sending in residential applications is concerned.. do it asap
go to www.une.edu.au for the application form and anything else...
i hope i helped out a bit

suz

HSC
I HAVE TO AGREE WID MOJOMAN, THE CUTOFF IS LOW DUE TO THE LACK OF DEMAND, NOT THE QUALITY. I THINK THAT THE SMALLER CLASSES DUE TO THE LACK OF DEMAND WILL BE TO OUR ADVANTAGE! NATRAP IF GO THERE I WILL ALSO BE MOVIN FROM SYDNEY NOT KNOWIN NE1 SO DON'T WORRY! SORRY I CAN'T COMMENT ON WIRGHT VILLAGE AS THAT WASN'T AN OPTION FOR ME...........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)