About UNE (1 Viewer)

Andi0390

HSC
Hey can anyone here who goes to New England just give me a run down on what its like?

What's life like in Armidale? What kind of things do you do for fun? Is it a very studenty town? Are there many recreation facilities? Is there more than just getting drunk? What is it like living in a town that small?

What is New England like/quality of lecturers/student support? Any info about Arts at UNE? Specifically Sociology and Philosophy.

Is it easy to get on campus housing? Is it better to live on or off campus? Are the people friendly or is it somewhat clique-y? Would you recommend it?

Looking to transfer next year (it will be my second year). I could get into somewhere 'better' (by rankings at least) but I don't want to live in a city anymore, which seems to be the only real option.

Thanks for any help.

Ezzz1990

HSC
Hi Andi. I'm studying at UNE this year, I'm an internal student though I live in town and not at the colleges.
Armidale is a great place to be, you have everything you need here, so there's no need to travel to Tamworth, with the shopping centres opening/refurbishing and adding new shops recently. After a month you acclimatise to the cooler weather, and in Winter you'll surprisingly find yourself walking around in just a t-shirt and shorts (and wind is usually light in Winter, although can be quite strong 2 or 3 times a month). It depends on your definition of fun but you can go on day trips with friends, shop around in town, and just get up to all kinds of random fun, you can't get bored here. There is a notable amount of students in the town, and as a student you can get discounts at many businesses about town, the residents of the town love Uni students as they know that they provide many benefits to the city. There's plenty of recreation facilities about, Sport UNE has some too, you may have to travel to Tamworth if you're interested in the niche activities. It is more than just getting drunk, although if you're at the colleges the first fortnight is usually a bit of a binge, lol, but most people get over it after that as they realise they are here to get a degree. Although there is always a changing contingent that goes into town if you feel like it. Armidale isn't really a small town, it is a city of nearly 25000, and a major centre for education in the northern inland of NSW (it has a better reputation than Tamworth does).
UNE is a reasonable sized campus, not huge, but not the smallest either, set on the side of a steepish hill. Quality of teaching is good, and student support is fantastic, most of the lecturers will know your name within a fortnight, some take a little longer in the bigger classes of course, but if you have any memorable features they'll remember you, lol! People are friendly, I haven't met an unfriendly/mean person yet. A few cliques do form, but they are welcoming. I would highly recommend studying at UNE, and I'm sure you would enjoy the experience. UNE is arguably the most prestigous of the regional (non-metropolitan/non-big city) universities in Australia, with high levels of funding for research regularly received as UNE is well known for its research, especially in the agricultural sciences.
I hope that helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)