Anyone else planning on UNE 2010? (1 Viewer)

Andi0390

HSC
I'm planning on attending UNE next year - I'm transferring but will be taking a fair few first year courses. I got my offer a few weeks ago, as well as an offer to UOW, but I am pretty sure I am going to UNE, which is exciting.

Anyone else planning on UNE for 2010? What degree are you planning on doing? Any thoughts you care to share?

MailMofo

HSC
How did you get an offer when the earliest offers come out at the end of November if you don't mind me asking.

okimura1170

HSC
N/A
only by Distance Ed for B Pharm. Visited CSU wagga, CSU orange and UNE, and une is the nicest campus of the lot by far.
The gym facilities are awesome, just like in the city. I went by train and back again from Syd, pretty long ride but I heard that the 4 QF flights a day from Sydney are pretty full ie not many (if any) cheap fares.
The train was pretty full - only 2 or 3 carriages of which one was 1/2 a buffet car.
btw, the gong has nice beaches ... you have to drive 2 hrs to the coast from UNE .
hope this helps

Andi0390

HSC
How did you get an offer when the earliest offers come out at the end of November if you don't mind me asking.
QTAC has an October offer round, and my entry is based on my 2008 UAI, as I haven't done a full year of study, so I got my offer early, I wasn't expecting one until the main round though!

I haven't been to the UNE campus yet, as I am currently living in New Zealand but I am hoping to make it there around Christmas, just to check it out, but my friends who have checked it out say its quite nice.

I'm not really a beach person, but if I was Wollongong would definitely be my first choice, but I want to live somewhere small for a while.

okimura1170

HSC
N/A
I think armidale is 25 to 35k population , a small town for sure compared to Sydney but not sure if larger or smaller than Dunedin. However, in Australia, it is actually classified as a city .

My criteria for a a town/city which is just the right size is 1 of each of these : Coles supermaket , Woolworths supermarket ( so there is competition), Mcdonalds, KFC, Burger King. If more than one, the place is too large, if less than one, then the town is too small.
And yes, Armidale has one of each.

chingyloke

Ex-Prince of Manchester.
HSC
It's 2nd preference as part of the UNE/UNCLE joint medical program. Really not keen on UNE though..the winter cold is depressing...and it's like only an hour from home. lol

AvalonPrincess7

Lost in Chemistry Fog
HSC
I'm desperate to get in, if I get stuck here for another year I'm going to go insane. Armidales population is 18 000 but remember that doesn't count the uni students, so it's more like twice that. It's a nice town a bit sleepy, and the entire uni seems to have central heating. I spent a couple of years in America when I was little and the central heating is a great thing, and I could definitely do without the 40+ degree summers. Armidale has all the required stores and a few random boutique type stores, the accomodation is much better than Newcastle Uni as well.

Andi0390

HSC
Dunedin has about 120,000 people but I have only been here about 5 months, I live right near the centre so it doesn't seem too small. I used to live in Sydney, and I grew up in Canberra, so Armidale will be a lot smaller than I am used to.

A big part of Armidale's appeal is also the affordability, and its the only sort of rural university that ranks somewhat decently, all the other rural types (CSU, some LaTrobe, some Queensland unis) seem to be quite bad at Arts and rank pretty badly. I could go to a better university in Sydney or back to ANU but I just don't want that life. The idea of spending three more years in either of those places resembles hell to me. I figure Tamworth isn't far from Armidale if I really need something, and its a fair chunk bigger, and I'll probably head down to Sydney every holidays to visit family so even if Armidale is a bit small I am sure I'll get by.

I hope you get in AvalonPrincess!

Okimura - Do you attend/are you planning on attending?

okimura1170

HSC
N/A
andi,
looking at distance education in 2010, so I will need to turn up to residentials - about 4 days per subject, so if do 4 subjects per term - that's 16 days in Armidale - not counting w/ends !!
And each day of a resi is full on.

btw, the steak is great there because so many cattle farmers round there. Got 600g of Angus rump on a sizzling hot plate and with a salad/cooked veg buffet included at the Bowling Club for ~ $23.00. Highly recommended .

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
im going to une if i get this scholarship im going for... if not gap year!

i am the only person from my school going to une (that i know of)... so im not going to know anyone

im doing the double degree bachelor of arts with bachelor of teaching

...that's right im going back to highschool.

is anyone planning to live on campus?

Andi0390

HSC
I planning to live at Wright, with the shared apartments. Cheap and self catered :)

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
i'd love to live at the village but you have to have been independent or something for the past 12 months... seeing as the only thing i can cook properly is pancakes i dont think i would qualify.

im thinking drummond and smith, or Robb college.

applying today for them.

Andi0390

HSC
I'm sure you could "pretend" to have independant living...:p

My specialities as far as cooking is concerned are "toast" and "cereal" but I am remarkably good at both. I've been living independently for 2 1/2 years. Go me.

okimura1170

HSC
N/A
Posey-rose,
for your information, I heard that Robb College can be quite noisy.....somewhat sport / rugby orientated.
As for Wright, apparently around exam time, there are strict rules on noise, like only allowed within specfied periods which are quite narrow.

I guess it depends what you are looking for in your UNE experience
regards

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
Posey-rose,
I heard that Robb College can be quite noisy.....somewhat sport / rugby orientated.
As for Wright, apparently around exam time, there are strict rules on noise, like only allowed within specfied periods which are quite narrow.

I guess it depends what you are looking for in your UNE experience
regards

well im def not going to fit into robb college then. ohwell, application is in now. fingers crossed, duval, or drummond and smith

AvalonPrincess7

Lost in Chemistry Fog
HSC
ALL the colleges have strict rules around exam times, they all made sure to tell us about it when we visited. I'm hoping to get into Mary White, it's literally like 5 metres from the psychology buildings, sleep in!

breezy221090

HSC
Within two weeks of exams there's no noise outside the 12-2pm and 5-7pm timeslots.

I'm a fresher at UNE 2010, living at Albies, studying Law/ Criminology.

breezy221090

HSC
I remember reading somewhere they have like 3000 internal and 15000 external meaning 18000 in total. So that's probably where the confusion came from. I think a lot of those internal are post grads too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)