In UNE Law any good? (1 Viewer)

zombiejesus

HSC
I have an offer from UNE for LL.B. I also have an offer from Macquarie and from SCU.

Is UNE's Law program any good? By distance? I have been told Macquarie would be better, but some of the opinions I've seen here have put that in doubt.

paulpang22288

HSC
Choose Macquarie. UNE Law "is still relatively new", as quoted from the Dean of UNE Law School. A fledgling law school in a rural area, with limited research in the field and NO notable legal alumni? You don't want to risk it. Same goes to Charles Sturt.

Medenica

HSC
N/A
If you're going to study by distance Ed, then UNE is miles ahead of Macquarie and Southern Cross. This is mainly because about 75% of UNE law students are external and so the courses are coordinated with those external students firmly in mind.

In terms of quality, have a look at the faculty staff. The senior lecturers at UNE write some of main textbooks used in law schools in Australia (Eburn, Geddes, Imitiaz); UNE seem to be able to attract top quality and many of the faculty staff have additional teaching training (as opposed to the incomprehensible expert). The first set of UNE law graduates would have graduated about 2000, so they are too young to be High Court justices or SCs yet, but that is not a reflection on the quality or content of the law school program.

The reality is that your initial career in Law will be determined by your marks. If you get Ds and HDs then you can take your pick. If you get Ps and a few Cs, then you are part of the pack, regardless of where you study. So choose the place that will allow you to study well and obtain good marks.

ISeeDumbPeople

HSC
N/A
I wanna chose between UNE and Wollongong. Obviously UNE would be more convenient cause online but I get the impression Wollongong is better recognized. It also gets higher rankings on that Melbourne University Institute University Rankings thing (Rankings of Australian Universities). UNE is also only like 83 UAI to get in compared to Wollongong 90. I wonder if there is ultimately any difference though. I dunno if I can be bothered goin to Wollongong but I would if it's going to get me a better job.

Sadiah

HSC
The University of New England was the first Australian university established outside a capital city. With a history extending back to the 1920s, UNE has a well-earned reputation as one of Australia's great teaching, training and research universities.
Its graduates consistently rate their experience at UNE highly, a reflection of the University's commitment to student support. More than 75,000 people now hold UNE qualifications, with many in senior positions in Australia and overseas. UNE has built up its academic profile to the point where it now has more than 500 PhD candidates, an important sign of the University's academic vigour and rigour.

[Source: http://www.une.edu.au/about/une/#item0]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)