accommodation and life at UNE (1 Viewer)

poiuylkj

HSC
hello

transferring into law/science at UNE. just done 2.5 yr of bachelor of science at latrobe university and decided to transfer cause really science isnt really enough

i have selected duval as my first preference as it suits me and like the flexi chioce meals so i dont miss anything and judging my the pics from the une site the rooms are big. and i would also like to know peoples thoughts of the college.

how do i apply for the duvals sport teams, in particular soccer, basketball and AFL. are all colleges passionate about their sports, do you play every week ?

does it have gym. i read that is has a 1 weight machine, bike and a treadmil. is that true. is there an actual gym within the uni with many weight machines and free weights like local gym and whether its for free.

also should i bring my laptop to connect to the internet and how do i connect to the internet from my room.

one more thing. where do i purchase my duval college shirts and jumpers.
thanks

namdog

HSC
I don't go to Duval college but it is a pretty nice college overall. The rooms are pretty decent, but they are about the same size as any of the others.

The flexi-choice system is good, it does mean that there's not pressure to eat down in the dining hall if you choose not to.

You'll be able to contact one of the Duval sporting representatives when you arrive at college to let them know that you're interested in joining in. Apart from organised team sports, there is also a sporting competition between all the colleges that is run throughout the year that has a different sport every weekend, which is pretty cool.

UNE does have a fully equipped gym which has a lot more to offer than any of the college gyms. The college gyms are more for a bit of a light workout etc as opposed to regular exercise or heavy weights.

Yes you should bring your laptop. Each college room is equipped with its own internet port, so you just need to bring a cable. Also, most colleges now have wireless internet that should reach most of the rooms. I can't speak for Duval but at my college I'm able to get wireless from my room.

Your generic Duval shirts should be given to you as part of your fees when you arrive. It's then up to you as to whether you want to buy any more specific merchandise like jumpers etc.

I'm happy to answer any more questions you have!!

poiuylkj

HSC
I don't go to Duval college but it is a pretty nice college overall. The rooms are pretty decent, but they are about the same size as any of the others.

The flexi-choice system is good, it does mean that there's not pressure to eat down in the dining hall if you choose not to.

You'll be able to contact one of the Duval sporting representatives when you arrive at college to let them know that you're interested in joining in. Apart from organised team sports, there is also a sporting competition between all the colleges that is run throughout the year that has a different sport every weekend, which is pretty cool.

UNE does have a fully equipped gym which has a lot more to offer than any of the college gyms. The college gyms are more for a bit of a light workout etc as opposed to regular exercise or heavy weights.

Yes you should bring your laptop. Each college room is equipped with its own internet port, so you just need to bring a cable. Also, most colleges now have wireless internet that should reach most of the rooms. I can't speak for Duval but at my college I'm able to get wireless from my room.

Your generic Duval shirts should be given to you as part of your fees when you arrive. It's then up to you as to whether you want to buy any more specific merchandise like jumpers etc.

I'm happy to answer any more questions you have!!
thanks, im not sure but i thing i read somwhere that each floor at duval has 8 students. are each member on your floor mixed from different years or is everyone in the same year level ? also what are the chances that you will have people doing the same couse as you living in your floor.

namdog

HSC
The people on the floors are mixed years. Some floors will have more first years than others, but it's pretty much mixed, because returning residents get to choose which room they go to for the next year via a preference system.

Generally the college tries to group people together by degree, interests or home town, but there's no guarantee that you will be near people doing the same course, though. Especially because you're coming in for the second semester, the college will pretty much put you in whatever room there's a vacancy in.

poiuylkj

HSC
The people on the floors are mixed years. Some floors will have more first years than others, but it's pretty much mixed, because returning residents get to choose which room they go to for the next year via a preference system.

Generally the college tries to group people together by degree, interests or home town, but there's no guarantee that you will be near people doing the same course, though. Especially because you're coming in for the second semester, the college will pretty much put you in whatever room there's a vacancy in.
are there tv points in the rooms. also how far is the uni from the colleges. by walk for example. in addition do the colleges send out some sort of package to you once you accept your offer of resident

namdog

HSC
There aren't any tv connections in the rooms, so you have to use rabbit ears if you bring a tv. There are tvs in the common rooms though.

The colleges are about 15 minutes walk from the uni. It's all on the same land, and the walk is pretty nice. The uni has been trialling bus subsidies for travel between the uni and the colleges this term, and they said that if it was successful they will keep doing it, so we'll have to wait to see if it will continue next semester.

The colleges generally do send out a little welcome pack with letters and stuff like that. Everything else that you need will be available for you when you arrive.

poiuylkj

HSC
There aren't any tv connections in the rooms, so you have to use rabbit ears if you bring a tv. There are tvs in the common rooms though.

The colleges are about 15 minutes walk from the uni. It's all on the same land, and the walk is pretty nice. The uni has been trialling bus subsidies for travel between the uni and the colleges this term, and they said that if it was successful they will keep doing it, so we'll have to wait to see if it will continue next semester.

The colleges generally do send out a little welcome pack with letters and stuff like that. Everything else that you need will be available for you when you arrive.
thanks. also how do i pay the weekly fees. i plan on paying in a fortnightly bases so will the statement be sent out like a normal bill or do i be notified via email ?

also the bus subsides you mentioned, do i have to pay for the travel or is it for free ? and one more thing, the functions or events held by colleges do i have to particpate in them also? excluding the formal events

namdog

HSC
sorry I took so long to reply - I was away on holiday.

Um, generally I think you can talk to the residential office and set up your plan for payment. The way they do it by default is to send an invoice via email around the beginning of every term outlining the cost for the term. I usually pay this figure in one go, so I'm not sure how to go about doing it fortnightly, you will have to see the office.

The buses were free between UNE and the colleges during the subsidised period. As I said before, we're not sure whether or not this will continue in second semester.

As for the functions or events, third term is generally full of them. This is because third term is known as 'silly season'. Nothing is compulsory, however. Duval will have lots of social events happening, including Ball & Recovery, and Aussie Night. You do not have to participate if you don't want to. Most people do, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)