ANU nightlife, is there one? (1 Viewer)

Mrs.McDreamy

stalker inc. president
HSC
Whenever I tell anyone I'm applying for ANU they look at me like I'm crazy.
And I quote "It's in CANBERRA, there's nothing to do there! And all the people are hicks! And it's cold! Are you crazy?"
yes. I am.
I refuse to believe there's nothing to do in canberra, if there's a nightlife I will find it! But I'm under 18 until April 07. So I'm wondering what kind of social atmosphere does it have? Are there clubs? Is there any for us lowly 17 year olds? Does it matter which hall/college you go to? What about the people? Are they mostly from the country or the cities? There are my questions
cheers :D

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Well sometimes we get roadkill and poke around at the guts for a while, then someone spews and it's totally hilarious.

michell3x

xxx
HSC
I know that exact look! I've found that most people who tell me that Canberra's really shitty are the people who've never been there/visited for a short holiday. However, the people I've met who've actually lived/studied/worked there for a few years or so tell me that they really enjoyed it. It's two hours from the snow/beach, not too far from sydney/melbourne so if you've got the cash, you can go visit whenever.

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about being underage too much. You'll be underage for around two months so I'm sure you'll find something to entertain yourself with for 8 weeks! If you're desparate to go out partying every weekend, then there's always those good old house parties (though I'm not sure if they're too popular in Canberra) - Feel sorry for me, I've gone through my entire first year of uni underage! (Oh the beauty of being born on Christmas day :(!!) Thank god for house & college parties.. otherwise I never would've survived this year!

sezy_jane

HSC
N/A
I actually prefer going out in Canberra as opposed to going out in Melbourne these days. It's just a short walk to Civic where all the pubs/clubs are, it's not a great hike to go on a bar crawl if you want (or to move on elsewhere if you get bored at your college's bar - gargh, getting a tad tired of mooseheads!) and you can catch up with heaps of people in the one night, coz all the places to go are within walking distance. score!

i hate having to PLAN when i go out in Melbourne. Nights out in canberra just evolve nicely

rumour

HSC
It may not be great, but there is a nightlife here! Great if you live on campus, it's only a short walk to the city.
There is also a good mixture of people from all over Australia. I resent being called a hick!:burn:

SomaFairy

HSC
N/A
I know what you mean.. I get that from people as well. As soon as I tell them that I'm applying for ANU..the first thing they say is "omg how boring.."

Mrs.McDreamy

stalker inc. president
HSC
rumour said:
It may not be great, but there is a nightlife here! Great if you live on campus, it's only a short walk to the city.
There is also a good mixture of people from all over Australia. I resent being called a hick!:burn:
haha it's not my generalisation. I'm not worried about who the people are, I'm sure there will be some good ones there :p

SomaFairy said:
I know what you mean.. I get that from people as well. As soon as I tell them that I'm applying for ANU..the first thing they say is "omg how boring.."
It's REALLY annoying isn't it. I guess some people can't stand the idea of moving away from the city...

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
canberra isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be

there really is plenty to do depending on your tastes

Civic really is great considering there is about 15 odd pubs/bars/nightclubs within a 5 minute walk of each other - ranging from smokey seedy places to goth clubs to full techno night clubs...
So once you hit 18 i'm sure you'd be able to find somewhere that you like.

as for things for people under 18 my friend managed to survive until her 18th (sometime during first year) the only real bummer is that you miss out on a bit of the o-week festivities

i'm not sure cause i didn't live on college but i'm not sure what its like to not be 18 at college for o-week. I assume they'd have other things to do.

Well sometimes we get roadkill and poke around at the guts for a while, then someone spews and it's totally hilarious.
Iron i've seen you in the kitchen - i seriously doubt your ability to collect roadkill..... let alone poke it :p
must be all that blokey influence of late - you've adopted a caveman approach

Last edited:

Alex_H86

CEO of BoS...
HSC
The night life here is what you make it. If you're outgoing and enjoy meeting new people, then you'll have no problems...I know I always have a good time when out- and I'm not particularly either of the above...

timmyh

HSC
the bad rap canberra gets for nightlife, i find, is mostly bullshit. if u live on campus (excluding fenner lol) its really not a long walk into civic and all the pubs and clubs. As was said before, lots of places for dif tastes... some good irish pubs, goth stuff, and just really good clubs for dancing and drinking. If ur on campus u'll find each college tends to have a one main bar/club (to be honest i can only make this statement for johns, burgman, bruce, b and g, i have no idea what goes on at ursies and fenner, do they actually go out??) - u'll find out about this in O-week lol. further, if ur actually interested in the nightlife scene and on campus, for the love of all things holy avoid ursies and fenner. Sorry to offend anyone, but in my experience its the gospel truth.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Ursies goes to shooters.

Fenner ICBM.

ADFA goes to mooseheads.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Ursies is sponsored by Mooseheads next year.

Ursies goes out a lot. A lot of crawls throughout the year and every day of O-week pretty much ends in alcohol and going out. Was underage this year so I'll have to wait till next year to experience O-week.

Fenner on the other hand barely goes out for anything let alone alcohol... and they're so far away. Can't picture them on a pub crawl, really.

timmyh

HSC
Yeah... sorry slidey. but talking up ursies as a kind of party college just doesnt work. nice try though... And why the hell would u get sponsored by moose. Johns is already sponsored by them and absolutely owns the place every thursday night.
It amused me to see the new ursies kids wearing their green shirts proudly during O-week, and then less and less throughout the year until no-one wears them at all.... just an interesting side note.
Feel free to reply...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
You'd be hard-pressed to find a residential college which isn't a party college. Ursies is hardly an exception. I wouldn't say they party as hard as Johns, but that's to be expected since it's full of jocks.

Shooters sponsored Ursies this year but most of the 1st years prefer Moose, so we changed; Shooters has bad lighting, bad atmosphere, and too much smoke.

timmyh

HSC
yeah... im from johns.... and yeah i agree ursies, from what ive seen, and heard from ursies 1st years, doesnt party as hard. As for johns rep as jocks.... damn right its true for some... "the boys club" but everyone is pretty cool and down for a party. As for being jocks... is it really that bad? After a year living at Johns i wouldnt want to be anywhere else....

sezy_jane

HSC
N/A
i agree tim - i wouldn't want to be anywhere else and i'm certainly coming back to johns next year.
but then again, there are certain people/groups in the johns community that don't exactly try to improve our rep. eg the people that do bruce abuse, murphs speech at the end of the talent night. those sorts of things don't exactly make johns look like the nicest bunch of people when we're generally not that bad.

timmyh

HSC
another johns person.... who are you? lol....
Yeah, some ppl at johns can give it a bad rep that it doesnt deserve, but still it is uni, it is college, and it is JOHNS lol.
Bruce abuse... thats a johns institution... they even spelt it out for us during O week, and Bruce love to hate us for it anyway haha. As for Papa Murph i heard from some Bruce ppls that he did a big apology to all of Bruce for that....
But yeh Johns Rocks, always has, always will. And R.I.P Out the Back Days, unless the RA can convince Sven to resurrect them.... tis a tragedy. An out the side day just doesnt have the same ring to it....

sezy_jane

HSC
N/A
hey tim, it's sarah 'that does german' as nicci so eloquently put it :p.
i still reckon OTB days will be back, just with tighter rules or something. they're a johns institution

timmyh

HSC
hey sarah!
hows the hollies going for you????
yeah, one can only hope OTB will be back in 07... we will see in O week i guesss..... i cant wait for that to start... gonna be sooo good lol

sezy_jane

HSC
N/A
yeah i've learnt my lesson now. party AS HARD AS POSSIBLE before the work kicks in :p
the holidays are ok - just catching up with mates and working. spent hours at the beach yesterday. so relaxing! hope you're well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)