Chance of achieving Hawkins scholarship or getting into law (1 Viewer)

mrzeidan1

Tigers '08
HSC
my friend got 96.35 as a uai and would like to attain the hawkins scholarship for law. the scholarship favours those who wish to enter the Australian political field and apparently the individuals uai doesnt matter (even though it probably does). my friend is the youngest president of a NSW young liberal branch and has won many awards during her time at school, including the classics award at her selective school. she has references from many prominent politicians and has EAS due to her missing 25%+ of the school year due to illness and changing schools more than 3 times in years 10,11,& 12.

what are her chances of getting the scholarship or even getting into law at anu? any advice?

timmyh

HSC
nobody here will be able to give you any real figures on the chance of getting in. All you can do is write and hope. All that stuff u mentioned seems pretty impressive but ANU law is pretty selective... if u cant get in for 07 just do something else then transfer...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
The only thing that you can do is wait and see. Only 3 of 6 scholarships were awarded to students at the ANU last year and knowing one of these people personally I can say that the bar is set pretty damned high.

Also, AS I'VE SAID IN THE OTHER THREAD EAS gives you 5 bonus points. Your friend is guaranteed a place.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
So does the Hawkins scholarship allow you to meet J-hawk or something? That's a pretty sweet deal, considering she ran off from a year 12 guy's formal.

Sign me up.

Btw to threadstarter, you've mentioned that same friend twice i think in two different threads. You must care a lot for them and i just thought i'd comment on how you seem like a pretty great guy to do this for them :)

Mel_b

HSC
I think you mean the Hawker Scholarship.

The first thing you need to remember is that there is no set number of places per year - the number of scholarships awarded is determined by the quality of applicants. They are unlikely to take into account her EAS application, but the Young Libs thing is impressive - but it's unlikely that it would be enough. Have a look at the profiles of past scholars to see the kind of standard they're looking for - political involvement is not really enough, you need to have shown a strong community service ethic as well.

I know a couple of people who are Hawker scholars, and they're impressive, acccomplished guys - it's not an easy gig, and you really do need to have a strong involvement in the community, that's sustained, as opposed to just being a joiner. Having said that, there's no harm in applying, it's pretty much the most prestigious scholarship available to Australian undergrad students, and in terms of the monetary value, it's probably the most significant as well.

mrzeidan1

Tigers '08
HSC
bobness said:
So does the Hawkins scholarship allow you to meet J-hawk or something? That's a pretty sweet deal, considering she ran off from a year 12 guy's formal.

Sign me up.

Btw to threadstarter, you've mentioned that same friend twice i think in two different threads. You must care a lot for them and i just thought i'd comment on how you seem like a pretty great guy to do this for them :)
lol thanks. Yeah my friend isn't very computer-friendly...

+ It's a reason to ship her off to Canberra

ag6858

HSC
Uni Grad
I take it that my application will be laughed off then if I apply with a band 5 average, little community involvement, a desire to study secondary teaching and no political involvement apart from handing out Greens flyers a couple of times and being part of the Australian Young Labor facebook group. Well at least I've saved money on stamps :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)