5 bonus points (1 Viewer)

OToole

HSC
Hello.
I’m here wondering if someone could fill me in on how the ‘up to 5 bonus points’ system that is in place if one is applying to a Faculty of Economics & Commerce degree works.
It says as long as you get 60% + in english and maths (or perhaps it was English and/or maths?), and I was wondering how this is implemented, and whether there is any sort of application for it?
Because unfortunately I received my numerical punishment for consistently not applying myself: a UAI of 94 – a full point lower than the required UAI for actuarial studies.
Now I got 88/100 in maths and 86/100.in English and 44/50 in ext maths would I be able to get into my course with that?
I know you’re thinking that I’ll crash and burn in actuarial studies with those kind of marks but believe me its not indicative of my intelligence!
Any information on how the system works would be appreciated.
Also I’ve signed up to do their aptitude test and as cocky as it may sound I’m sure if it comes to that then I’ll definitely make it but then again I’d rather not sit it.

[FONT=&quot]Cheers guys![/FONT]

mcs

HSC
You may even manage to get into Actuarial without needing the bonus marks.... its UAI cutoff has fluctuated quite a bit recently and could go down a bit further depending on demand... so you UAI could be good enough in the first place. But on what youve posted I expect you will get bonus marks as well which should get you in anyway. You have got it right- according to the file on the Bus & Eco website above 60% in English & maths entitles you to bonus points. Whether you get the 5 points straight out or it is scaled im not sure.

Main thing though if I was you would be to think very very hard about whether you want to do Actuarial... not trying to put you off it or anything but it has a heavy workload and imo is not all it is it trumped up to be. Saying that if you like the idea of it then go by all means go ahead with it but it is hard work and especially I have been told (As I considered doing it last year with very similar marks to yourself ) when entering without having done Ext 2 Maths.

However by the sounds of it you will get in one way or the other either with the bonus marks or on your straight UAI mark if the cutoff falls which is could do!

Hope this helps a bit!
Matt

little master

HSC
hey

i had another question about this bonus points system. Is it true that bonus points are not awarded for double degrees. I applied for B Fin/B Sci with uai of 88, and i fell short by 1 point. My EAS (bonus 5 points) was also successful and obviously got more than 60% in both adv eng and Maths Ext 1 and Ext 2. How likely is that i would be allowed into that course. BTW B Fin is also 88. i was wondering if the uai's for both are the same i should be accepted in B Fin/B Sci regardless its a double degree or not

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Evilo

HSC
maybe its worth calling the admissions centre at ANU.... Just look on their website and call the number during buisness hours :S

mcs

HSC
I would say Little Master you will get in even without the bonus points as a lot of the marks have been lowered by ANU so even though it might report as being 89 to get in in the UAC guide (I assume thats where it was) I expect you will probably have no problems getting in.

I have heard that the 5 bonus points dont count for the double degree places but im not sure whether this is correct or not.... it wouldnt suprise me though as double degree programs are becoming very popular and thus ANU has not had any troubling filling the places unlike with some of the single degrees as such.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
little master said:
hey

i had another question about this bonus points system. Is it true that bonus points are not awarded for double degrees. I applied for B Fin/B Sci with uai of 88, and i fell short by 1 point. My EAS (bonus 5 points) was also successful and obviously got more than 60% in both adv eng and Maths Ext 1 and Ext 2. How likely is that i would be allowed into that course. BTW B Fin is also 88. i was wondering if the uai's for both are the same i should be accepted in B Fin/B Sci regardless its a double degree or not

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
i'm applying for the same thing you are, and everyone i spoke to admit this is quite a rare combination. if you wanna talk to me add me to msn :)

it is correct that you cannot get bonus points for double degrees. the worst case scenario would be b finance increases its uai, and you'll miss out. however, apply for commerce/science and transfer to b finance/b science in your second year.

commerce and finance students (as well as actuarial and economics, not sure about e-commerce) study EXACTLY the same units in their first year (nothing more nothing less). it is the second year that every course in the business/commerce faculty branches off to specific units, so essentially, you're not missing out on anything.

i've heard actuarial (95) is dropping its cutoff this year and my mate who got a 93 applied for bonus points and after a 2 minute talk, got approved.

Last edited:

mcs

HSC
Just a couple of points to clear up on what jas0nt had to say. The University cannot decide to suddenly drop or raise a particular UAI cutoff as they are determined solely by supply and demand and through UAC. They can offer more places in order to try and push the UAI required down but they cant simply say we want it down to 90 and cut it.

As for all the Eco/Commerce/Actuarial etc students studying the exact same units in 1st year that is also not exactly correct. It is basically the same but there are some specific units... eg Actuarial do a different Stat unit to what Eco/Commerce/Finance students will do. Also it is possible to be doing some 2nd year units within 1st year depending on what subjects are chosen. But basically they are the same and there should be no problems transfering over if need be.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
mcs said:
Just a couple of points to clear up on what jas0nt had to say. The University cannot decide to suddenly drop or raise a particular UAI cutoff as they are determined solely by supply and demand and through UAC. They can offer more places in order to try and push the UAI required down but they cant simply say we want it down to 90 and cut it.
At ANU they aren't. The university set the UAI for nearly every undergraduate course besides law before the main round.

http://info.anu.edu.au/studyat/_Student_Recruitment/_anuguarantee.asp

mcs

HSC
Fair enough I stand corrected- i knew they had lowered the UAI's but I still thought they were going to base it on supply and demand- good to see that occuring if you ask me! I failed to realize that they were actually guranteeing places as well- good to see the ANU doing something right for once!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
jas0nt said:
what exactly have they done wrong may i ask?
College internet prices, rising college fees, rising prices for parking permits, poor security around the colleges... In defence of the ANU they did alot of things right though, particularly in regards to rising HECS fees.

mcs

HSC
There are enough things that they dont do well enough in my opinion that they should... neo has mentioned some and there are others. But I do agree they have been good with the way they have kept the HECS fees under control where other unis have jumped well and truly at the chance to increase them big time

Its more just I think for a National University that there are areas they could improve- saying that when the university is focused more on postgrad and research I can see why there are areas in the undergraduate setup that improvement could be made. Lol its probably just the pessimistic side of me coming out that is all, as it is still a fantastic university none the less.

timmyh

HSC
like all unis, ANU does have some stuff that it can do better... i agree that they could focus more on undergrad stuff (though as im undergrad this is prob just my bias coming out)... also, some sort of better student council (or whatever they're called) system... does anyone actually vote at those things, or know what they do???
however, from my experience in college at Johns the internet price is pretty reasonable (though i have heard we have it cheaper than elsewhere) and the security is decent enough... only 1 or 2 breakins to cars, but i fail to see how the uni could have prevented that.
Everything considered, ANU is a damn fine uni

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)