Student Exchange at ANU (1 Viewer)

2ndbest

Erratic Member
HSC
Hey guys,

I am in yr.12 this year and really want to go to ANU, I also really want to live in Vancouver when I finish uni so I want to do exchange there in my 2nd uni year.

So I am just wondering who of you have done student exchange at ANU?

I was reading the website and it said you should be involved in ANU life, how involved? what sort of activities would you guys recommend?

Do you usually go in your 2nd year? (it said you needed something like 24 units completed before applying and 48 units completed before actually going)

Do you find it really expensive and have to save for years beforehand?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
I haven't been on an exchange, but I looked into it (for Italy or England).
If you want to go in your second year, start organising during first year as it takes a while to organise placements at unis and visas etc. Also see the careers centre (who organise exchanges really well, they do most of the work).

You can get $5000 for every six months of exchange to cover costs, which is then added to your hecs, but a good amount of savings would help as you can't always work in another country due to visa conditions.

2ndbest

Erratic Member
HSC
Ohk thanks so much for that!
Also, whats the deal with living on campus? I think I have researched right and the cheapsest rate is $195 a week, is that added onto your HECS? If not, do you get "Youth Allowance" or some other government financial support? Are you classified 'independant' and therefore eligible for an allowance? I know I could ring up centrelink but I am really lazy and hoping one of you would have these answers waiting for me

Venusian

HSC
you have to pay your accomodation monthly/semesterly/yearly direct to the college/hall and you cant hecs it

you will really need to look into centrelink for your own circumstances and i suggest you start early cos the hoops you need to jump to get youth allowance are a bitch......generally to be "independent" for youth allowance you really need to do a gap year to earn enough money to qualify, otherwise your parents will need to be really poor ...... other than that you wont get it

have a look at the threads here on accomodation, i remember a few of em discussing this sorta stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)