Information Technology (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi everyone. How's the Information Technology course at ANU? I've been to their website and everything but am after any info that can't be found there. I'll be moving to Canberra if I get in. It's my first preference, so I just wanted to find out more info. Specifically, what's the New Media Arts major like? How many hrs a week? Easy? Hard? Any info is helpful. Cheers.

unco_wannabe

HSC
hey u might wanna PM Hear.o. gold
(go to the 'future 08' posts ..he's second person)
send him a message
hes doin IT ...he's gone down to ANU to...he will probably know the extra stuff

HSC
Anyone think the UAI will go up? I didn't get much above it and am kind of banking all my plans on getting in. Not getting accepted would be a major kick in the ass.

Evilo

HSC
my advice: call ANU and ask outright "will anu be continuing their 75 uai guarantee for the same courses as last year"

50c phone call will reduce a hell of alot of nerves
then post here so the other newbies know lol

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
01169 said:
Hi everyone. How's the Information Technology course at ANU? I've been to their website and everything but am after any info that can't be found there. I'll be moving to Canberra if I get in. It's my first preference, so I just wanted to find out more info. Specifically, what's the New Media Arts major like? How many hrs a week? Easy? Hard? Any info is helpful. Cheers.
New Media Arts is Java, HTML, etc. Typically "easier", since there's no parallel programming, finite state automata, low-level assembly, etc.

Evilo

HSC
Slidey said:
New Media Arts is ...<snip>. Typically "easier",<snip>
i heard that too, but i dont know what the go is.

Jasont (and others)- you wouldnt happen to have nocturnal_nicks's surname would you? If you do can you please pm me? If you don't knwo what im talking abotu, please ignore.

HSC
Well I contacted ANU and they said that guarantee will not apply for this year. In regards to what the IT UAI is expected to be, she could only give me last years. Didn't help me much. I really hope it doesn't go up much. Wasn't it low 80s a couple of years ago?

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
Jasont (and others)- you wouldnt happen to have nocturnal_nicks's surname would you? If you do can you please pm me? If you don't knwo what im talking abotu, please ignore.
*blinks*

01169 said:
Well I contacted ANU and they said that guarantee will not apply for this year. In regards to what the IT UAI is expected to be, she could only give me last years. Didn't help me much. I really hope it doesn't go up much. Wasn't it low 80s a couple of years ago?
pretty sure the minimum UAI for ANU was 83 for 2006 entry.

to be honest i think these cutoffs are arbitrarily set and aren't very dependant on supply/demand like they are at other universities.

Metric

HSC
N/A
jas0nt said:
to be honest i think these cutoffs are arbitrarily set and aren't very dependant on supply/demand like they are at other universities
Based on anecdotal evidence from people I know who got into ANU, I would tend to agree with this. The same is true (even more so, I think) for UC. I think it is the nature of Canberra, with ~2500 Year 12 students seeking tertiary entrance each year (and many leaving for other universities) and not many interstate applicants, the UAI cut-offs will be very low because they need to make up the numbers. Anyone that scores over 65 has a shot now, with the introduction of the uniTEST.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Antioch said:
Based on anecdotal evidence from people I know who got into ANU, I would tend to agree with this. The same is true (even more so, I think) for UC. I think it is the nature of Canberra, with ~2500 Year 12 students seeking tertiary entrance each year (and many leaving for other universities) and not many interstate applicants, the UAI cut-offs will be very low because they need to make up the numbers. Anyone that scores over 65 has a shot now, with the introduction of the uniTEST.
true. what these students don't realise is the UAI isn't just a number that allows you to get in. it's also a resemblance of the difficulty of the course and how well a student may cope.

i.e. there's no point a student with a 75 should enrol in law (95), even if they can, as they'll most likely crash and burn in the first semester. likewise a student getting a 65 and entering commerce/IT wouldn't stand a very good chance at doing well.

the UAI cutoffs may decrease, but it'll be a cold day in hell before ANU reduces its standards/difficulty to keep in sync - it will continue to be a relatively difficult university.

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
wouldn't he be a bit late for uni test anyway?

Metric

HSC
N/A
unco_wannabe said:
umm just a quick thing u cant do unitest with Uai's below 70
You're right, this year it seems you can't. But last year you certainly could. What I find interesting is that those students who recieved UAI's of 65 had a lower failure rate than those who recieved between 85 and 90 (see here, second page). A verification that "high UAI != sucess at university", perhaps?

HSC
Hey all. Well I got in to BInfTech. Boy am I glad the cutoff didn't rise. Now all I've really got to decide is a major. I'm leaning more towards the New Media Arts major. I noticed that BA New Media Arts also offers the major IT in New Media Arts. Are they the same course, or do they differ slightly? Would the IT New Media Arts major be a part of the Centre for New Media Arts, or the Engineering IT department? I did IT in high school, but we never did anything like what's offered in the New Media Arts major, so that's why it seems interesting to me. Anyway, a brief breakdown of the different majors would be helpful to me and any other potential/new IT students. Cheers all.

HSC
What sort of elective can I take? I dropped the one I originally took but now don't know what I can chose from and where. Can I chose any first year course? Surely not. What am I limited to as an IT student?

ArtOfLosing

HSC
Your elecive can be any course from any faculty. Don't quote me on this but you can do 8 (I think) out of faculty courses during your degree. Pick something that interests you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)