Do we need a laptop for classes? (1 Viewer)

bikapika

HSC
Guys as Steve Jobs is probably gona introduce a new super slim sexy macbook tomorow, some of us 1st year kids who are apple fans are ready to either:

1.) buy the new slim sexy macbook which should be very portable to bring to classes, but obviously its gona be more expensive

2.) buy a "stock clearance" macbook which costs less than $1800 for the white one and would be even cheaper during clearance. However it is gona be heavier (still quiet light actually 2.25kg max)

All we need to know is whether bringing a laptop would be helpful at lectures/tutues, and do you find it useful to bring your own laptop to the library to do research while reading books?

visa with $2000 hard working money ready for the sexy event/stock clearan tomorow omg im so happy ive been working so hard for this holiday just for this moment

http://www.macrumors.com/
look at this sexy thing, even mock up photos are so hot. by apple tradition the actual product is always hotter than internet mock ups omg im so gona cry tomorow

Last edited by a moderator:

bikapika

HSC
not at all? i mean, you may want to use google at the library, right?

exospacial

HSC
N/A
I got a pretty heavy Dell laptop, but I'm thinking of using it to play games/work/watch stuff in my room.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
bikapika said:
Guys as Steve Jobs is probably gona introduce a new super slim sexy macbook tomorow, some of us 1st year kids who are apple fans are ready to either:

1.) buy the new slim sexy macbook which should be very portable to bring to classes, but obviously its gona be more expensive

2.) buy a "stock clearance" macbook which costs less than $1800 for the white one and would be even cheaper during clearance. However it is gona be heavier (still quiet light actually 2.25kg max)

All we need to know is whether bringing a laptop would be helpful at lectures/tutues, and do you find it useful to bring your own laptop to the library to do research while reading books?

visa with $2000 hard working money ready for the sexy event/stock clearan tomorow omg im so happy ive been working so hard for this holiday just for this moment

http://www.macrumors.com/
look at this sexy thing, even mock up photos are so hot. by apple tradition the actual product is always hotter than internet mock ups omg im so gona cry tomorow
What degree are you going to study??

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
you dont need it. if find you take very little notes at uni. most of the lecture and tutorial material is available online anyway. the idea of the sessions is to engage with and consolidate what you have read, not to spend it scrawling or typing down notes.

For most students laptops are just an expensive distraction from classes.
Ye tru, i did I.T last year and i didnt use a laptop at all. In my classes a lot of people used laptops but for things as games, internet, crap etc. Very distracting...

bikapika

HSC
i will be doing llb and bachelor of economics -0-

see for wireless internet connection at uni, do they charge you? and do they set a limit usage? i feel like using the laptop at some of the wirelss internet spots to avoid internet usage at my residential college

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
bikapika said:

see for wireless internet connection at uni, do they charge you? and do they set a limit usage? i feel like using the laptop at some of the wirelss internet spots to avoid internet usage at my residential college
Ok you wont really need lappy but anyway its nice having one, i use it a lot at home. Well for the uni wireless internet you will most probably login to your uni account, which will have a quota for internet usage so when you use the net your quota drops. If you exceed your quota you better have a good reason to get some more.

HedgeMaster

HSC
It basicially depends on the degree ur doin, ill be doin a BVA in digital media, so ill b doin lots of Maya, final cut and higher end progs so ill b gettin the new macbook pro. Especially since ther gunna release a new Mac book Pro, and i hope they get beta processors and Gfx cards, as ther current line is dated...cmon max 8gb of ram in the new mac pros!! (if only).

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
bikapika said:

when you connect to the ANU wireless network you type in your uni login/password. after that any sites you visit (not on the ANU network) chips off your 80 megabyte limit (topped at 10 mbit nightly). makes me wonder how guys living on campus could tolerate an 80 meg quota :eek: (do/can you guys sign up for your own ISP?)

i doubt finding a computer will be hard. http://infocommons.anu.edu.au/List_LabsAll
+7 labs in the IT faculty open 24/7.

seriously the only use for a laptop i could imagine is if you were doing software engineering. using a laptop lets you muck around with your coding when you're bored in a lecture or if you want to kill an hour.

buttt if you really do want a lappy, get one of those Dell M1330's. the lighter the better.

Last edited:

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
negative. you need to log into a networked computer for that.

unco_wannabe

HSC
for the love of god plz...ur uni students...dont get a mac.

now im not saying this as just a hatred for mac...i think there sxc ..but i think the whole
'user friendly' thing is for people who watch Today Tonight and often find
it difficult to understand words such as 'windows xp' and 'keyboard'

i mean oh sure its all 'hip' and 'coool' as the ads suggest (yeh i spelt cool with an extra 'o' ...im super mad :p..haha)

but the reality of the fact is ....Mac's are made so that u use them how they were designed..its like the lack of freedom given by the ipod...for example...the whole 'we sync EVERYTHING you own" and all the 'everything together' forces u to do what macs are made for.

also some programs arent able to be used with macs..also the fact that SOME (all those IT guys and etc..dont give links about how u can prove me wrong"
but the reality is that SOME macs cant be upgraded ....

OVERALL ..macs are a conspiracy to disconnected man from their inner bill-gates-geek. and then again i mean what can really beat doing
spreadsheets using excel on a friday night? yeh nothing....

just KISS ..keep it simple 'silly' ...get an average pc...to be able to handle ur word documents ...the 'awesome' excel ...and vlc/media player ... and u should be fine...
i mean..if ur considering buying a laptop to play CS in ur room .......im just gonna leave it up to peoples imagination on how i would react to that ;P

btw i dont hate geeks..im a half ass one myself :)

cheers all

p.s dont flame this post with ur anti-windows rants...we all know the blue screens of death..there fun :)

bikapika

HSC
then again i mean what can really beat doing
spreadsheets using excel on a friday night? yeh nothing....
good point bro. true that mac doesnt have a good spreadsheet program. mac office 08 is expensive and its excel doesnt have macros anymore

anyway do we need advanced spreadsheets for economics? im not doing a lot of statistics. i thought open office spreadsheet would be suffient

arrrhh the new macbook air is too expensive
stuff that i cant even afford a blackbook im buying a white book

Last edited:

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
bikapika said:
anyway do we need advanced spreadsheets for economics? im not doing a lot of statistics. i thought open office spreadsheet would be suffient
you won't need any computers at all for macro/micro 1.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
jas0nt said:
when you connect to the ANU wireless network you type in your uni login/password. after that any sites you visit (not on the ANU network) chips off your 80 megabyte limit (topped at 10 mbit nightly). makes me wonder how guys living on campus could tolerate an 80 meg quota :eek: (do/can you guys sign up for your own ISP?)
colleges supply teh interwebs at 2.5c a mb.

to be honest, i use the ANU network as much as possible in the computer labs at college, but i'm rarely willing to spend money on internet.

in any case most people don't use the internet nearly as much at college than at home because well, there are better things to do (drink, for example?).

HedgeMaster

HSC
Btw u can run xp and vista on macs, so u can run dual os's if u want (u can either virtialise it or partition ur HDD its up 2 you). So if u wanna run all those window based stuff (i.e most games, office stuff) u still can. Seriously mac's arent a fad (tho the ipod is), its for ppl who want to do high graphics intense work and good video editing/effects.....in style. But prolly for affordabity reason, if all ur gunna do is speadsheets and shite, u'd save more money with a base dell or sumthing. Tho just wait a few days and macworld is still goin on as we speak so they could have new regular macbooks, which would mean a price-break in the current models, so that means they would b cheaper as well as the 10% educational bonus means cheap cheap lappy's and more saving for us the consumer, Hooray!!.

P.S: - U can upgrade mac's its just harder than normal...as ther much more compact and as one bracket. My friend does it as hes an apple technition.

unco_wannabe

HSC
hedge

i was just giving over generalised statement regarding macs

but yes that true u can get dual boot and partition it as well

if ur gonna get a mac..get the newer ones with right click :p

bikapika

HSC
humphdogg said:
colleges supply teh interwebs at 2.5c a mb.

to be honest, i use the ANU network as much as possible in the computer labs at college, but i'm rarely willing to spend money on internet.

in any case most people don't use the internet nearly as much at college than at home because well, there are better things to do (drink, for example?).
good point. im not gona p2p anymore. they dont charge u for using computer laps right? although im afraid that they may ask u to logon with your account everytime (thats how my high school keeps tracking of data usage)

HedgeMaster said:
Btw u can run xp and vista on macs, so u can run dual os's if u want (u can either virtialise it or partition ur HDD its up 2 you). So if u wanna run all those window based stuff (i.e most games, office stuff) u still can. Seriously mac's arent a fad (tho the ipod is), its for ppl who want to do high graphics intense work and good video editing/effects.....in style. But prolly for affordabity reason, if all ur gunna do is speadsheets and shite, u'd save more money with a base dell or sumthing. Tho just wait a few days and macworld is still goin on as we speak so they could have new regular macbooks, which would mean a price-break in the current models, so that means they would b cheaper as well as the 10% educational bonus means cheap cheap lappy's and more saving for us the consumer, Hooray!!.

P.S: - U can upgrade mac's its just harder than normal...as ther much more compact and as one bracket. My friend does it as hes an apple technition.
lol i almost forgot true that there are a few days more to go for the macworld conference

the thing is, do they still make announcements about products after the keynote? i thought the rest of the days are for other manufactures to show off supplementary products

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)