Yet another what to bring to uni thread (1 Viewer)

exospacial

HSC
N/A
I think I've gotten most things, but what do you think of:

Towel rack - Dry my towel in my room
Pajamas - Walk from the bathroom to my room, and perhaps walk around Bruce Hall (do other people do that...does it work?)
Thumb drive - Transfer e-documents from my laptop to ANU computers (for printing, etc.)... though I was wondering, do I get a personal FTP space where I can download/upload files internally anywhere from ANU?
One of those economic calculator for economic classes

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
Responce to above
towel rack - you get hooks on your door, could take up needed space
Pjs - you sleep naked? i just wear a towel to the shower, apart from the occasional wolf whistle *blushes* nobody cares.
Thumb drive - very useful -yes you get 250mb to yourself (ftp) - called "pebble"
Unknown about the calc because i dont do economics

Evilo

HSC
Other stuff
Get another power board and a small extenstion cord
One of those clothes racks things that hang on the top of the door - really useful
Odd nicknacks for the occasional themed parties
Large HDD helps (i mentioned this before)
Clock radio and another light?
Cant go wrong with tracky daks (trackpants) for those 2am chats in someones room.
External Speakers

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Pjs - you sleep naked? i just wear a towel to the shower, apart from the occasional wolf whistle *blushes* nobody cares.
You may have someone accompanying you this year, if you haven't already lol. Haven't gotten any emails from Johns though, so maybe not...?
One of those clothes racks things that hang on the top of the door - really useful
Clothes racks, or a clothes peg? Can you show me what a clothes rack looks like? Sorry for being thick, lol. My knowledge in the clothing department is not very extensive.
Odd nicknacks for the occasional themed parties
Could you provide us with some examples? Superman costumes? Fake (or real) bikie beards? Just to prepare as for what exactly to bring.

Evilo

HSC
Schmeag said:
You may have someone accompanying you this year, if you haven't already lol..
Oh i only commented on that because he made it sound like it was "optional", i spose its his choice lol
Schmeag said:
Haven't gotten any emails from Johns though, so maybe not...? .
No idea, they will email/call etc soon - well someone (from any hall) will
Schmeag said:
Clothes racks, or a clothes peg?. .
http://www.homestoragewarehouse.com/images/64500.JPG
Its a bit liek that, except there are more "cross bars" - allowing for you to hang up more clothes. They sell them at bigW at canberra, but they sell fast with the influx of new students (pegs to hold the items up would help). Schmeag - when you arrive at johns ill invite you over and you can inspect my clothes rack lol - you'll be in envy - lol?

Schmeag said:
Could you provide us with some examples? Superman costumes? Fake (or real) bikie beards? Just to prepare as for what exactly to bring.
the idea of a university theme costume is to do it on a minimum budget. You will need a toga costume (a bed sheet that doesnt matter if you spill beer on it). A hawaiian custume doesnt hurt, we had themes like "rockstarts and groupies" last year. this is where you share with your mates - swap things, borrow things etc. It's all in good fun. Nothing should be real (unless you already had it at home), the idea of a custome is not to spend more than about $10 lol. Oh and i'm pretty sure there will be a "traffic light night" or something similar. the idea is - if you'r single wear green, taken wear red, and if its complicated wear yellow. Just bring a few thigns around the house, no need to buy anything.

I remember the list i typed up for anu (its was like 300 items long (far too much lol). Ill see if i can spot the most important things)
Regards
Evil-O

Evilo

HSC
exospacial said:
I'm not sure if I'm regretting going to Bruce now...guessing how Johns could have more sexy buff guys *sigh*
Oh well, is just one of those things lol
exospacial said:
Clothes hanger - how about wet clothes that cannot be placed in the dry cleaning or does Bruce have them (if any of you know)?
I dont udnerstand the question - you might need to explain it a bit mroe in detail. Bruce will provide washing machines and dryers, the benifit of this clothes hanger is if your clothes shrink, or they are too delicate too dry in the tumble dryer. Dry Cleaning would be an external company - i know the anu newsagency runs a dry cleaning service - 3 garments for $23.50
exospacial said:
HDD - I have a 500gb external, but it's one of those ex-HD where I need an external socket (as in a USB won't have enough power to keep the HD on). So it's quite annoying
Its exactly what i have (i have a LaCie 500GB with AC Adapter), and i reckon the power thing is better. Keeps it running at a good speed, and doesnt put pressure on the motherboard to support power.
HarveyNorman and Ht.com.au (harris technology) are selling a 500GB external (AC powered - usb) (Western Digital) for $152 - if i didn't already have a hard drive, and my olds weren't on my back about the 2nd external, then id so buy it lol)
http://www.ht.com.au/N/Storage-Disk...-GB-external-Hi-Speed-USB-7200-rpm/detail.hts

exospacial

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
I dont udnerstand the question - you might need to explain it a bit mroe in detail. Bruce will provide washing machines and dryers, the benifit of this clothes hanger is if your clothes shrink, or they are too delicate too dry in the tumble dryer. Dry Cleaning would be an external company - i know the anu newsagency runs a dry cleaning service - 3 garments for $23.50
What do you mean by dryers (drying machine)? I meant that I do have some delicate (shrinkable) clothes that needs to be hanged out to dry. I probably won't use up 23 bucks to get someone else to dry clean. So I'm wondering if there are places in Bruce that I can hang these clothes.

Evilo said:
Its exactly what i have (i have a LaCie 500GB with AC Adapter), and i reckon the power thing is better. Keeps it running at a good speed, and doesnt put pressure on the motherboard to support power.
HarveyNorman and Ht.com.au (harris technology) are selling a 500GB external (AC powered - usb) (Western Digital) for $152 - if i didn't already have a hard drive, and my olds weren't on my back about the 2nd external, then id so buy it lol)
http://www.ht.com.au/N/Storage-Disk...-GB-external-Hi-Speed-USB-7200-rpm/detail.hts
Except that I have to carry this heavy piece of thing around all the time...

rumour

HSC
exospacial said:
One of those economic calculator for economic classes
What is an economics calculator?

A normal scientific calculator, like the one you use in high school is enough. What economics subjects are you taking this year?
Because you hardly use a calculator in most of the courses.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Knife
Daggar
Schimanter
Nintendo Wii
Glock

Evilo

HSC
exospacial said:
What do you mean by dryers (drying machine)? I meant that I do have some delicate (shrinkable) clothes that needs to be hanged out to dry. I probably won't use up 23 bucks to get someone else to dry clean. So I'm wondering if there are places in Bruce that I can hang these clothes.
Clothes Dryer ---> http://rentrite.co.nz/catalog/images/RENT-RITE-PICTURE-4.5Kg-Dri.jpg

As far as hanging goes, i dont know if bruce has hanging rooms (you would have to ask one of the bruce students). Otherwise there is your room (hence me saying to schmeag get a rack)

exospacial said:
Except that I have to carry this heavy piece of thing around all the time...
I keep mine in my room (locked to the desk). Anything small will be tranfered via usb. Anything large that isnt private can be shared over the network and i can download it from another computer. However my hard drive is huge! and weighs a tonne - so i know what you mean.

Evilo

HSC
jb_nc said:
Nintendo Wii
Glock
Wii is great for when you've got mates over, the later is great when you dont win....

Evilo

HSC
When i was making the list, i divided everything into the following groups; Stationary, Everyday, Technology, Toiletries, Linen, Clothes, Outdoors, Might not have, Books, Possibly. Im sure that will get you all started with things to pack.
The little things got me stuck though - things like phone chargers which someone "forgot" to pack :p i spose you can borrow one anyway lol If you have lots of space/money a printer can help (if you cant be bothered running to the comp rooms to print off those last minute assignments). If you are keen on a sport, then bring that gear because you'll probably train for that team (i.e. hockey - hockey stick). Also think of clothing for extreme weather - raining etc.
That should get you all started lol

exospacial

HSC
N/A
rumour said:
What is an economics calculator?

A normal scientific calculator, like the one you use in high school is enough. What economics subjects are you taking this year?
Because you hardly use a calculator in most of the courses.
I just remembered the correct term: financial calculator. You could plot graphs and stuff.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Thanks. For sport, do they have extra gear stowed away in the college, or will you definitely have to bring your own stuff if you wish to play? Also, what sports are there?
No idea, they will email/call etc soon - well someone (from any hall) will
Most of my friends going to ANU have an offer from the accommodations. Then again, they got 99.90+ and so got early round offers (for both their courses and their accommodation) for their preferred courses.
I remember the list i typed up for anu (its was like 300 items long (far too much lol). Ill see if i can spot the most important things)
I wouldn't mind reading it. ;)

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
How many formal gatherings do colleges have per semester? Should I bother bringing anything for those?

Evilo

HSC
Eriny said:
How many formal gatherings do colleges have per semester? Should I bother bringing anything for those?
thinking of johns here.

(For the whole year)
Commencement Dinner
Your Faculty Dinner
Anniversary Dinner
Validictory Dinner

ummm i'll try and think of a few more (if i can)
The girls usually get all dressed up for the events (dresses, heels, etc), men just 'put on a suit' lol. Then everyone wears acaedemic robes over the top. (dont worry about buying one before you come - all the colleges sell them for cheap - and buy them back off you at the end of your stay)

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
ive gone to uni with nothing but a single pen and a blank sheet of a4 copy paper in my bag

Evilo

HSC
yeah ive just brought a pen one day too - but i knew the notes would be printed off for us (and i was running late)

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
exospacial said:
Pjs: Well, I do sleep naked at home :O...usually I would wear boxers when I walk from my bathroom to my bedroom so my parents won't see me naked. I've never really worn pajamas before though. I'm not sure if I'm regretting going to Bruce now...guessing how Johns could have more sexy buff guys *sigh*
rubbish! how offensive. i'll have you know i'm quite the sexy buff guy!

well, not quite. but still. bruce guys certainly aren't bad ;)

oh, and you don't really need pjs, plenty of my friends sleep naked (hilarious when they forget to lock their door and you accidentally walk in on them though... get used to it at college).

and i generally just wander out to breakfast in my dressing gown every day. it's a great look. especially on friday mornings in particular, because i almost certainly have to be wearing sunglasses then...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)