Future Students '09ers! meet and greet here (1 Viewer)

unco_wannabe

HSC
Hey guys
now i know UAI's and offers havent come out yet
BUT - its still good to hope right?

so for those who ARE gonna get into ANU in 09 or THINK or are on the fence and waiting for other things (i.e unitest) - discuss everything for 2009 here ! a one stop shop for Future-ANU students.

Lets build up a community before we (everyone hopefully) head's off into the uni year!
if your contemplating ANU then give us an 'im in' post.

most of you may have noticed a 'future students 08ers' post,
i figured a 09ers one would be more convenient. this way everyone can post the events for O-week along with any questions everyone has and everything else.

Also, if your coming to ANU in 2009 give us a shout out that way you can atleast know a few people when going to anu !

For all those sitting on the fence, deciding whether or not they should make the move away from home - seriously do it, its the best decision ever, you wont regret it.

for those who say 'anu is a hole' - well there's three other uni's there im SURE something is happening.

P.S i've already done a year at newcastle law, im looking to transfer down to ANU
anyone have any idea if a 92 uai + D + P/C [D + HD in arts] is enough to get in?

thanks guys

hope to see you all at anu ! ! in '09
(i better sleep now, work in 4 hours :D)

cyas

Unco-

cricketfan10

HSC
i might have to do the unitest if i wanna get there and do comm/law. doing VCE and will most likely get an ENTER of 93-94. i have applied for EAS though, under the english language difficulty category, im not sure how much consideration that's going to give me. thats why i probably will have to do the test to give myself another chance. i'll be really disappointed if i don't get in :(

sefina

HSC
N/A
Heya!

I'll be starting at ANU next Feb and I'm enrolled in the Bachelor of Arts (European Studies).

Have been given accomodation at Bruce Hall.

Any fellow course/hostel mates just give me a shout out! :)

cricketfan10

HSC
sefina said:
Heya!

I'll be starting at ANU next Feb and I'm enrolled in the Bachelor of Arts (European Studies).

Have been given accomodation at Bruce Hall.

Any fellow course/hostel mates just give me a shout out! :)
how did you get an offer for accommodation so early?

unco_wannabe

HSC
cricketfan10 said:
i might have to do the unitest if i wanna get there and do comm/law. doing VCE and will most likely get an ENTER of 93-94. i have applied for EAS though, under the english language difficulty category, im not sure how much consideration that's going to give me. thats why i probably will have to do the test to give myself another chance. i'll be really disappointed if i don't get in :(
hey man, if you dont get in you should do is go and do uni at some other uni and do really well and apply for a transfer if you dont get in.

hey sefina how did you get the accom and everything in already?

cheers

Last edited:

sefina

HSC
N/A
I got my offer early as I'm an international student from Singapore. First time I'll be living away from home, and I'm way excited! :)

When are you guys expecting to receive your offer letters?

unco_wannabe

HSC
ohh :p
that explains it all
umm i think NSW is expecting it on january 21st (agesss)
not sure about the other states...

anyone any idea?

cheers

moc2009

HSC
N/A
Hey,

First post here.

I’ve applied for ANU to start in 2009, just have a question.... since I finished school ages ago and went travelling and then working, I’ve now decided to go to UNI and have applied as Mature Age (Via the STAT).

So if I get in for start in 2009, when I start I’ll be 24......is that going to be really really old as a first year?

Cheers,

Last edited:

sefina

HSC
N/A
moc2009 said:
So if I get in for start in 2009, when I start I’ll be 24......is that going to be really really old as a first year?

Cheers,
Never too old to start i say! It can even be an advantage sometimes, a mature student I went to school with graduated top of the cohort. :)

unco_wannabe

HSC
moc2009 said:
Hey,

First post here.

I’ve applied for ANU to start in 2009, just have a question.... since I finished school ages ago and went travelling and then working, I’ve now decided to go to UNI and have applied as Mature Age (Via the STAT).

Cheers,

hey man, nah dont worry about it your gonna be fine. what course are you planning on doing?
some courses usually tend to have more 20ishy year olds starting than other courses, i know law up in newcastle has alot of 20 year olds and they hang with everyone - so its really chilled back...dont worry your not gonna be eating lunch by urself :p

cheers

moc2009

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the replies.

Sefina, I might see you in EU studies if I get in.

I’ve applied for BA International Relations (first) and BA European Studies (second). Want to do French.

If I get an offer, what way does it work with selecting your major and subjects? Do you do it all online, or do you go down to Canberra to do it?

Are you second year unco? Are you at Newcastle and hoping to transfer to ANU for 2009, or are you already down there?

Cheers.

unco_wannabe

HSC
moc2009 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Sefina, I might see you in EU studies if I get in.

I’ve applied for BA International Relations (first) and BA European Studies (second). Want to do French.

If I get an offer, what way does it work with selecting your major and subjects? Do you do it all online, or do you go down to Canberra to do it?

Are you second year unco? Are you at Newcastle and hoping to transfer to ANU for 2009, or are you already down there?

Cheers.
hey moc,
ive done 1st year law already at newcastle (uni life up there is awesome) and now im going for ANU law....im not sure whats gonna happen with the courses ive done i.e criminal law ...or my other arts courses ...ill guess ill see it down there.. so yeah ill start in 09 hopefully *fingers crossed*

i attempted french as part of my arts...and ill tell you what, when u dont remember being taught what a 'conjugate verb' is in school...it makes french VERY difficult..tonic..pronouns u say? :S
btw i got some kickarse program its called "Tell me More French' ill be glad to give it to u to help u out with ur french..it really does help

moc2009

HSC
N/A
Haha thanks,

Yea I forgot most of all the language terms and simple rules (when you know it automatically you never think about it), but I’ve been doing French and German at TAFE in the evenings this year, so that’s helped a lot. I find the German so much easier compared to French, but it’s the French I need.

With the International Relations you have to do a language Major, so I contacted ANU to ask if I could do both and they said yes, so might try it, put German as major (I know I’ll be fine in that) and put French as an elective and see how it goes.... if too hard I’d probably stick to the German.

I have to say, I find it so frustrating having to wait until the 21st of January to find out if I got in, it leaves hardly anytime time to arrange moving down there. When do you find out if you got in? Is it the same date as the rest of us, or different because it’s a transfer?

You gonna live on campus and the ANU accomodation?

unco_wannabe

HSC
hahah yeah goodluck with that im still considering goign on with french instead of moving onto spanish or german (yes german IS easier)

yeah i find out on 21st through UAC aswell
ill be living on uni accom hopefully...ive got that whole guarantee thing too just where im not sure i prefer non-catered..i can cook and take care of myself ..besides i possibly wouldnt be able to afford the fully catered costs.

yeah cause if i dont get in..then i gotta find my accom in newcastle again * oh crap*
transferings a nuisance..hopefully this is it and no more ! :)

moc2009

HSC
N/A
Haha, how come you want to transfer out of Newcastle and head to ANU? Are the subjects better for your degree?

Have you got any idea on how life is down in Canberra, you know anyone there? I’ve only been there once, and it was a day visit. But I guess it’s got a lot of uni student’s, so there has to be things to do.

unco_wannabe

HSC
moc2009 said:
Haha, how come you want to transfer out of Newcastle and head to ANU? Are the subjects better for your degree?

Have you got any idea on how life is down in Canberra, you know anyone there? I’ve only been there once, and it was a day visit. But I guess it’s got a lot of uni student’s, so there has to be things to do.
the whole prestige thing i guessed attached to ANU ..also if i wanna go internatinoal relations n stuff i think ANU would be the better decision ..or IP law..not sure yet

no idea what the lifes like down in canberra..i went for a day too...ill be going down with a friend of mine and thats it ..there are three uni's all up in canberra...im sure somethings going on ..if not...we can get stuff going to keep everyone entertained

it willl be good fun

so whereabouts are you from? btw u wanting to stay in uni accom?

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
moc2009 said:
enrolment for new students in their first semester is done in consultation with academics/advisers. After that all subject enrolments are done online (although some consultation or advice is available). Generally one would chose subjects according to the major requirements that one would want to major in.

Hercules6

HSC
hey unco

what was your high school UAI (or equiv), and your first year GPA?

Cheers

unco_wannabe

HSC
Hercules6 said:
hey unco

what was your high school UAI (or equiv), and your first year GPA?

Cheers
hey man
uai was 92
i havent actually figured out my GPA because
a) uni results havent come out
b) i have absolutely no idea how to

but a rough estimate of my law marks
Legal System and Method: would be a D
Criminal Law: looking at about a C (i hope i get that...if i get a P :(
they were conducted over two semesters

arts..on the other hand
sem1: C, D
sem2: hopefully either D,D or D, HD

u looking to transfer too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)