2009 cut-offs (1 Viewer)

garrybarry

HSC
Hi all. I'm hoping to attend ANU next year, but was wondering what the cut-offs will be. I graduated in 2007. I really wanted to take a gap year before continuing studying. I got a UAI of 80.15. Since I didn't graduate this year, I think I'm not entitled to any bonus points, which sux. I'm mainly interested in Econ, Commerce, Science, Psych and Arts. All of these had a cut-off of 75 last year. I've heard that the cut-offs are all rising this year. Is this true? If so, what do you think the courses I've listed will rise to? Surely Arts wouldn't rise above 80. Hopefully not because that's my safety degree at ANU. Anyway, if anyone has any inside knowledge or has links to any info, that'd be super cool. I know it's hard to tell in advanced, so if people don't know anything that's cool. Cheers though.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I doubt any of those degrees would rise by 5 whole points if they do rise at all :)

garrybarry

HSC
Wasn't there a rumour (or fact) that the cut-offs were increasing to 85 across the board?

Lewie J-Ho

HSC
I do remember reading something about the base mark being raised to 85 some 6 months or so ago, an ANU news announcement or something, definitely official though.
However, as I am merely a prospective student myself, I'm certainly no authoitative source. That being said, I hope what little I provided was of some help, and I do hope you can get in regardless.

garrybarry

HSC
Argh! If they go up above 80 I'll b pretty upset, considering if I applied last year I would have gotten in. I should have applied last year and defered. Note this recent school leavers.

counterman

HSC
No one will be able to help you there - only time will tell. It depends how much demand there is for the courses and how many places are offered at ANU .

garrybarry

HSC
Oh no, I definitely know that no one can change the cut-offs, I just wanted to get people's predictions on what they might be. I read in this thread http://community.boredofstudies.org/587/general-australian-national-university/193016/anu-will-overenrol-keep-uai-cutoffs-low-mid-80s.html, posted by neo o, that a "21% increase in economics and business applications isn't going to result in a significantly higher cutoff for commerce students". Why is that? Also, what's the highest a cut-off has ever gone up by in one year? Surely 10 points would be up there.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
counterman said:
No one will be able to help you there - only time will tell. It depends how much demand there is for the courses and how many places are offered at ANU .
No it doesn't

garrybarry

HSC
So, theoretically if ANU's cut-offs aren't set by demand, then they should already know them. Plus, with them saying that cut-offs were rising to mid 80s, then they probably will. That sux. Do you think degrees like Arts, Science, IT etc would all be significantly higher if it was based on supply and demand? Is there any specific reason ANU set their own cut-offs?

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
garrybarry said:
So, theoretically if ANU's cut-offs aren't set by demand, then they should already know them. correct Plus, with them saying that cut-offs were rising to mid 80s who says?, then they probably will. That sux. Do you think degrees like Arts, Science, IT etc would all be significantly higher if it was based on supply and demand? Is there any specific reason ANU set their own cut-offs?could be two opposing reasons - demand being high and ANU reducing the UAI requirement, or demand too low and ANU increasing the UAI requirement. no way to tell however.

i think 75 is more than fair enough a UAI to get into commerce/arts/science... if one can't get 75 (the median UAI in canberra for 2008 was 80) then uni (especially ANU) might not be for that person. a person with a uai of 75 might struggle anyway.

Last edited:

georgefren

HSC
Cut offs generally stay the same. I havent heard of any really big changes occuring in one year.

garrybarry

HSC
I just got the information that the cut-offs were increasing this year from this thread http://community.boredofstudies.org/587/general-australian-national-university/193016/anu-will-overenrol-keep-uai-cutoffs-low-mid-80s.html which aparently contains an email from the VC stating that. It wasn't posted that long ago either, so it seems current. Plus, there was also a thread mid year saying the same thing. Also my UAI was for 2007... I'm not sure what our median UAI was, but I guess it would kind of be similar.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
garrybarry said:
I just got the information that the cut-offs were increasing this year from this thread http://community.boredofstudies.org/587/general-australian-national-university/193016/anu-will-overenrol-keep-uai-cutoffs-low-mid-80s.html which aparently contains an email from the VC stating that. It wasn't posted that long ago either, so it seems current. Plus, there was also a thread mid year saying the same thing. Also my UAI was for 2007... I'm not sure what our median UAI was, but I guess it would kind of be similar.
You're underestimating the lobbying power of Chubbasaurus and the ANU, the ANU could still successfully lobby the government for more places.

garrybarry

HSC
I can only hope. ANU fills up all of my preferences, so if they all go up above 80 I'm kind of screwed. Only a week and a bit left now, though. The wait is excruciating.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
well... either way, good luck mate! if your UAI falls under the cutoff by a little (maybe up to 3 points), ANU will still let you in.

they aren't really nazi about cutoffs, from observation.

unco_wannabe

HSC
i was 3 uai points off the law cutoff in 08 :(
here we go again
for 09 !
7 days now !

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
might be bad news for some, but ANU's minimum UAI is now 80.

garrybarry

HSC
Ouch Economics went up by 9 points. That officially puts me out of the running. Commerce and the rest are still 80 though. Does that mean the person with the lowest score who got accepted had 80? Hopefully I got into that. What are the chances of someone who got below the cutoff likely to get in? I feel bad for my friend now, as she got just under 80. I think she got 78 or something. I really wanted us both to go together by I doubt she willb et in now. Does ANU let people in below the cutoff? Thanks for posting the cutoffs in the other thread. Are they always released this early? Also I see that there are no vacancies in any course. That sucks for second round offers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)