ANU or UC? (1 Viewer)

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i'm thinking about transferring to either ANU or UC to a degree in the commerce/economics field.

which of these uni's is the best for this? oh and what is the uni like? i've only been to canberra once and i have to say, its pretty quiet. and what about accomodation? how much is rent (on campus) and do i have to book ahead or something saying i need a room?

see the thing is i'm not 100% on transferrring to canberra yet, i guess it depends on my other preferences, so it will be a 'spur of the moment' kinda thing.

any help is appreciated!! thanks!

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Read from other post u r transfering from USYD

Umm. To answer u question, it is so hard 2 compare the 2 unis. I live with a girl from Shanghai who goes to ANU who does the same course as me , but at the ANU and is in 1st yr like me.

Both unis offer high quality courses etc. It depends on what course you are looking for. UC offers courses that are 'practical', similar to UTS - its Economics course got rated 1st in Australia by The Good Guides last year - which is why I done it at UC. The course is really good... In regards to ANU economics; it is more mathematical based. Generally at UC for economics you have 2 interm test, 1 report & 1 essay then a final worth around 60%. At ANU they generally have a 80% final, and some tutorial tests.

In terms of commerce degrees; very similiar structure - although the 1st yr ANU course is VERY EASY. My sister went through about 3 yrs ago and she said that they changed it to this new BUSN crap; which 1st yr is like yr 12 business studies - the accounting subjects are so easy - i think around 30% of the class got HD in some of their test..

Overall; I can give u 100 reasons to go to ANU OR UC. Decide which course u like etc, and do that one..

Both unis are good...

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i've already done first year economics!! :)
i like the sound of the UC course being much more 'practical' since i didn't do maths in year 12!

i'm either looking at B. Applied Economics/ B. Commerce (Banking and Finance) at UC (oh hey its the course your doing!!) OR B. Commerce/ B. Economics at ANU.

the reason why i WAS leaning towards ANU is because i think the uni its much more recognised throughout the world, when compared to UC. ((whats with people from usyd and reputation? hahaha!!)).

these two are my backup courses taking up the last two of my preferences, if i don't get into either any commerce or business course at USYD or UTS!

can you tell me more about the UC course? you've really pursuaded me away from ANU with the math based economics!!

thanks!

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Hey,
Ok... When I said more practical - the course is more orientated towards 'real life' situations. They use PBL - problem based learning which is what most unis use for medicine - you learn by problems etc - it is really good; but you definately need an analytical background.

UC Have 2 types of economics - 1 is the 'commerce' based - meaning it is required maths; although the course is very practical (similiar to UTS practical subjects). 2. There is a "arts" type economics degree, meaning it is more essays etc. The arts type economics degree might suit you - there are about 200 people in 1st year arts type economics - majority of them are from communication degrees.

As you will be going into year 2, I just checked and Economics 2A has about 60 kids in it by the looks of the tutorials size - which is a good number. I spose the advantage of Canberra unis are the size - especially economics... I am doing development economics next semester and there is about 45 students doing the course - which is excellent as it is more 'one on one' learning.

At UC generally you do Micro1 &2; Macro 1&2, stats 1, international economics and you do a professional sequence of subjects - you pick 4 subjects from a big pile - they range from Maths, economic type subject (development economics, environmental, management economics etc) , marketing etc, etc..
NOTE: If you have done Quantitative methods 1 at USyd, or Bus Stats 1, whatever they call it; Stats 2 (or econemetrics is what some unis call it) is NOT compolsory at UC - BUT it is STRONGLY recommended. They say if you want to work in an economics type industry, or want to do post grad, you definately need it. i spose why it is not compolsory is because a lot do applied economics with communication- marketing, and are using the economics degree as an "extra" - and they want to concentrate on their first degree - I hope i make sense???

In terms of quality of lecturers - I have had really good economics lecturers in yr 1; but like any uni - some will be bad i am sure....

In regards to reputation - both have reputation in ACT for high quality courses; but i think ANU has more of a reputation, i.e. snob value, as it has been around longer. BUT i think UC courses are more uptodate and relevant to industry..

Last edited:

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Also you will notice in year 2; I am not sure if you do 4 courses at USyd, but in Year 2 and 3 we only do 3 courses a semester as the courses are worth 4 credit points - higher value..

I think they are changing it in 2005 - but u wont be effected though....

Any ?'s about ANU - Ask me - i will ask my friend who goes there...

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
hey thanks for the reply! its cool that its long, better i get the info from someone in the know!!

you say there are two types of economics? hmm, i'm thinking the 'commerce' based one will be ok for me, i did 3 unit in year 11 and i did pretty good in it!

oh i wanted to know what both the campuses are like at ANU or UC? are they spaced out like USYD or all clumped together like UTS? and what nationality is the student body made up off? oh and roughly how many students make up each uni?

thanks!

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Hey
I do the commerce one - its fine. There isnt that much maths in it; it is just that the content is more of an analytical nature and suited more towards 'maths' type people than the arts type. Doing USyd economics, I am not sure if you will be disadvantaged/advantaged etc. You might actually find them easier, as UC is more 'practical', although I can't personally comment on the ANU content.

Umm. UC and ANU both have "traditional" campuses. Both are spaced out on large blocks of land - both with ovals etc etc. ANU is in the city and I think is actually bigger in terms of size of the campus. ANU has more smaller buildings, and more of them; whereas UC has less buildings, but they are bigger. Even though I haven't been to UTS, i dont think they are the same - none of them are in 'apartment' type complex.'

Both unis have approx 10,000 students - Approximately 10% are from overseas, and that is growing quickly; estimated to be around 20% within 3-4 yrs. Although that 10%, 99.99% of them are in commerce courses, so you will notice at each uni (and I assume in sydney too) a lot of asians...

IN Canberra you will notice, more so at UC, there are LOTS, and i mean LOTS, of mature age. UC wins a lot (if not 99.99%) of govt and private contracts to undertake a degree. Most public servants go to get an accounting degree.

Overall, both campuses are very friendly - very country town like, lecturers are friendly - most have open door policy, meaning you can come in whenever you like and speak to them . Some come in on weekends . Ours stats lecturer came in every weekend, even public holiday to go thru exams with mature aged (although everyone could go - regardless of age)

To be honest i dont think ANU or UC are as diverse in student pop as the syd unis. Although if you are asian, you definately won't feel out of place - so it is ok :)

Have u ever seen ANU or UC?

Last edited:

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
After looking @ my friends ANU macroeconomics just then ; it is VERY different to what I learnt. I guess @ the end of the day you learn the same stuff; but if u r transferring from usyd to uc/anu you may find it harder to go into 2nd yr economics, as you have done econ from another uni.

Oh, BTW both unis down here have proper student admin cards
:)

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
id prefer to do the commerce type of economics. i don't think the arts type will give you the 'right' knowledge for the job. i'm doing a computing course so thinking analytically is no trouble!! :) uh all me a freak or whatever, but i happen to like economics so i don't mind doing economics again, but i'd hate to pay the extra HECS fees!!

wow only 10000 students? and yes most international students are asian doing commerce at usyd.

how far is UC away from ANU? i mean it doesn't sound that far because you say you live with someone who goes to ANU! i haven't been to any of the campuses. i've only considered going to any of these campuses because i don't think i will get my D average i need to trasnfer to b. commerce or b. economics at usyd.

uh can you tell me how many majors your allowed to do in your course? i was thinking of in economics, an economics major + something else. and for the commerce part, other thank the banking and applied finance major, i'd like to add business info systems as well... do you know if its possible having 4 majors? or having a combination of these?

oh and its good to hear you have proper student cards!! haha.. i'm sold already! the laminate from my cheapo card is starting to peel. :)

thanks for the info.. your really making me want to go to UC now.. no compulsory metrics!! :)

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
do you know where i can find a much more detailed course description at UC for your course?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
oh i found it.. thanks anyways

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Hey,
Yep, only 10K kids - although go on a friday afternoon and it looks like 100 kids ahhaha

UC is in Bruce, next to Australian Inst. of Sport. UC is about a 8 min drive from the city.. Canberra roads are really efficient; I live in Florey (which is on one side of canberra) and can get to the other side in about 15-20 mins..

For all the majors etc:
If you are doing a Double Degree, I dont think you can do 2 majors for each course; at any university!

What you do at UC, and I assume all other unis; Is the core components of Commerce and economics, and you can choose a major in commerce, such as banking and finance and you can choose a professional sequence (not major technically) from economics..

If you do a single degree, like B Economics, you could do the professional sequence + a major in something else..

I dont think any uni will let you do 4 majors in a double degree - as in 4 yrs there simply is not enough time...

My sister done Com/IT at ANU and she only got 2 majors - Accounting, and IT she did Information Systems or something...

IN Canberra,(ACT) for our driving licence we use to have cards like USYD, it was SO embarrasing.. ACT Govt has FINALLY got the plastic ones...

if u go to uc or anu - i dont think it 'really' matters - if you find the courses at anu better - go there, or vice verser. my sister went though on the old courses at anu before they changed; and she really liked the uni......

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
yeah i didn't think i could do 4 majors. but i see it as, if i've got electives and choices in what i do in my degree, why not just follow another major sequence (if possible, cuz in my degree now, i can do 3 majors, provided i can fit it in and its only a single degree). i was planning on majoring in economics + info systems + banking and finance, that way i can try and get credit for what i've already done at usyd!

as for canberra, i've only been there one to see parliament house! hahaha!! so i don't know my way around. what about public transport? i won't have a car if i move to canberra so travelling is a big concern for me!!

as for the two uni's, in all honestly i really don't mind which one i go too. they both sound pretty good and very much alike! i'm just trying to get a 'feel' for the courses on offer at both uni's!

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
In regards to public transport, i have never used it to be honest - i drive everywhere cause it is so quick - the roads are so good compared to sydney..

There are buses (action i think they r called), and they come all day, every day, till early hours of the morning.. The one disadvantage with them is cause canberra is so small, you might have trouble if you are working somewhere to get flexibility with the bus timetable. Both unis have buses every few minutes though so it shouldn't be a problem..

My flatmate uses them all the time; they never seem to run late..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)