Wireless Internet (1 Viewer)

garrybarry

HSC
So what's the wirless setup at ANU like? How's the coverage? Do all the accommodation places have access? Is there a map on the ANU website that has this information? Also, how much does it cost? Cheers. Oh and I was on the ANU website and notcied resnet. What's this about?

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
pretty sure the coverage is extensive.

you connect to it and it'll be like connecting to the ANU network.

you get 80Mb of traffic and it tops up every night in 10Mb increments, to a max of 80Mb.

that said, 3G wireless internet from 3/vodafone isn't expensive... and could be an option if you like having more quota to play with per month. http://store.three.com.au/mobilebroadband?cid=29

Last edited:

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
I think you'll find that the quota is 1gb now, and it increases by 1gb per night up to a maximum of 1gb.

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
well, it has changed. check OLAMS if you are already enrolled.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
I think you'll find that the quota is 1gb now, and it increases by 1gb per night up to a maximum of 1gb.
man, i thought you were taking the piss but i checked it - thanks muchly for the info.

Last edited:

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
well, just as i expected. ANU jacks up the data quota per day and the internet speed starts going to a crawl because every person logged in is probably streaming high def. youtube videos or is watching facebook videos.

kinda makes me think of the 'tragedy of the commons' notion, for anyone who studied economics.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
umm what did you expect jasont? we're poor/freeloading uni students, its our job to use resources to maximum capacity. Having said that, you're right though - $10 says they will use the slow speeds as an excuse to put in a firewall.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
well, just as i expected. ANU jacks up the data quota per day and the internet speed starts going to a crawl because every person logged in is probably streaming high def. youtube videos or is watching facebook videos.

kinda makes me think of the 'tragedy of the commons' notion, for anyone who studied economics.
That was a fucking stupid lecture....Did you get the example with cows? Cause I did, it sucked

jardeath

HSC
Is the new 1gb just for internet on pcs such as those in computer labs/libraries, or is it for wireless internet on your laptop around the school as well?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
i've heard rumours that wireless is now charged? had anyone heard of this????

This is a message i got on olams
"Daily Wireless Traffic Usage for u******* for the Last Three Months
The traffic listed below is chargeable (Commodity Internet) traffic only. It does not contain traffic from other universities or those australian networks, with whom AARNet has a peering relationship.

Please note that AARNet charges for traffic based on UTC time. Because of this, logs are not available until after midday and so traffic usage is calculated from 10am to 10am the next day (in summer 11am to 11am the next day).

NOTE : User u******* has no wireless traffic usage in the last 3 months."

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
doubt it's charged because we sure as hell havent been notified (that is to say we didnt recieve any emails in our anu email accounts advising us)

plus when you log into wireless i dont think it has any warnings there that data's charged..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)