Looking back on the first week (1 Viewer)

Andi0390

HSC
So the first week, and O Week, are both over, so what is everyones thoughts about university and the ANU?

For me it is different to what I thought. The lecturers are much nicer and more approachable than I thought they would be, I don't know what I was expecting but I thought they would be more pompous and stuffy.

All my lectures are really close so I can find them easily, which helps when I have 4 hours back to back of them.

I've learned that textbooks are not cheap, and that the lines are very long and not worth waiting in. I bought all my "bricks" (I hadn't ever heard the term before) but got hopelessly lost looking for the Social Sciences office. While getting lost I managed to also lose my receipt for the bricks, so when I turned up there finally, I had no receipt and had to backtrack to where I could remember to try and find. They were very nice when I talked to them.

I have learned that PARKING DOES NOT EXIST within the ANU reality. I am under the impression that it never will, and if it ever did, I wouldn't be able to afford it.

I've learned to despise those swingy out lecture table lap things, as they are just slightly to small and slightly too close for my angle of writing.

I have learned that there are monkey skeletons and other super cool old things in the AD Hope building. I was walking by there and was like "omg there is a dead person" because I never realised how much monkey skeletons looked like our own. I mean I know we are closely related, evolution and such but I never really made the practical skeleton link.

I haven't really met that many people, I guess its a bit hard to in lectures, but I am hoping with the tutorials next week I can make some new friends.

I hope I survive through my second week, and then I will set my sights on my third.

Andi

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
lol at the parking issue, if you went to sydney uni or UNSW it would be 4 times harder and 4 times more expensive :) Try parking in the carparks towards Johns and Ursies (opposite fenner school), there are usually some spare places there.

but yeah, good to hear you uni experience is going well - keep smiling.

cricketfan10

HSC
Agree with the waiting in line for books thing..goes round the whole bookshop on some occassions! Friday afternoon/weekends are the best days to ever go to co-op, if you're at uni ofcourse. But waiting that long meant that one of the books I really need is out of stock and now I have to wait til the coming friday to get it.

But first week...hmm, I've already missed 3 lectures. Found out it's pointless going to them after listening to recordings becuz the lecturer simply reads out what's on the slides. That's great. I'm way way behind in terms of work already, not so great.

I've met a few good people, but that's still mainly at uni and not where im staying (fenner). For once I kinda feel good about going to a place for studying. Although it does suck walking up all the way to anu when you can't get a bus. My bike decided to stuff up as well so that doesn't help.

And some other random thoughts...I hate that you can't get any decent food at uni after 2 pm. Those 'swingy lecture table' things nearly made me drop my laptop. I love the fact that I can go on the net during lectures. I can't cook to save my life, not sure how im going to survive a whole year. FTA in canberra sucks, thankgod for fox. 10 hour uni week ftw. I have a freaking law mid sem exam on a saturday, not particularly happy about that, but not surprised. I've only probably explored 10% of the ANU campus. Love having atleast 1 hour gaps between lectures/tutes/seminars.

Hm yeah that's about it. Overall, a decent first week. Settled in nicely. Hoping it gets better.

Last edited:

SoAmazing

HSC
Hey people
Glad to see you guys enjoying your first week of lectures. My first week is pretty good i guess but i miss the huge skyscrapers of melbourne. Most lecturers are good but one of my maths lecturer seems a bit.... anywho hope people enjoy the rest of their stay at ANU

Last edited:

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
parking is about $150 iirc. dickheads sell their permits to public servants for beer money, who in turn take our parking spots because they're too stingy to pay $7/day. so ANU being so close to many government departments in the city is not a good thing. if you rock up before 9:00am you should get a parking, but if you do at around 11am, it'll be close to impossible as that's when all the big classes start.

also you can consider getting a reserve parking, it's about $100 dearer, and there's a waiting list.

Last edited:

Andi0390

HSC
I currently park in O'Connor/Turner. They have two and three hour parking, as well as after 11am parking, if you look around. Its about a 10 minute walk to union square which is pretty reasonable, although even there it can be hard to find parking. On Mondays I have five hours back to back starting at 11am so that is going to be tricky for me. I'd catch a bus but I keep my horse out in Belconnen and go there after the ANU, otherwise its too far out.

I was considering purchasing a permit, but I did hear that you still had to be there a bit before 9am to find parking and I only have one class per week at 9am, all the others start at 11 or 12 so I am not sure if it would really do much for me.

They really should implement a system where a car you give a permit to has to be registered under your name or a parent or something similar to reduce the amount of people taking our parking. It would be very hard to police though.

I'm still in between places, so I would like it if I could find somewhere to settle, take out my things and really set up so I could study if I wanted to or something. Now everything is everywhere with all different people. I hope I meet more people this week, ones that I click with rather than just having forced conversation. But I imagine everyone is feeling a little lost.

Atrophic

HSC
Uni is better than what i expected. The clubs and other involvements are good fun and its a great opportunity to meet new people, do some fun activities and get some decent food. As i expected its hard to meet new people in lectures. You have to initiate a conversation for people to talk to you, a lot of people tend to sit one seat away from you (assuming the lecture room is not packed) and just sit by themselves. I don't think Ive ever had someone initiate a conversation with me in a lecture. The international people tend to talk in their own language within their own groups so its quite hard to talk to them.

Lecturers are approachable and tutorials don't seem bad at all. I had an IT tute and i found the learning environment to be great.

Parking is no problem for me as i can take public transport or get dropped off at uni.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
do you guys have clem for comp1100?

good guy. i remember my mate gave him his assignments and he (clem) combed out the bugs and told him exactly what needs fixing. although him doing this probably explained his mediocre mark at the final exam..

dirtybird

HSC
Hi guys;
been a lurker here for about the last six months or so and finally decided to join up once I reached anu.

I'd say that my first week or so was pretty good. But my god there is so so so much reading to do in law.
I guess though it evens out as there is hardly anything to do in psych so it is all good.

My suggestion for parking is a) if you can, get there before 9 am or after 3 pm. Usually past these times, you can find a place. If not, sometimes driving around for about ten minutes or so looking in obscure places helps
b) otherwise, try parking at some of the free places in the suburbs around the place or in the city. For only a ten minute walk (work off lunch) it is sometimes more time efficient to just go there

I'm a townie, so I know what its like to have to go out of your way to meet new people etc. I have to say that it is a challenge (esp for someone who is as shy as me)

so if anyone else is in first year law or psych, come and say hi to me (i've got bright red hair).

:)

rumour

HSC
My first week was interesting. After being at uni for a few years already, I have only just discovered where the Robertson Lecture Theatre is!

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
My first week was interesting. After being at uni for a few years already, I have only just discovered where the Robertson Lecture Theatre is!
lol you haven't taken up ENVS (formerly SRES) have you?

cricketfan10

HSC
Hi guys;
been a lurker here for about the last six months or so and finally decided to join up once I reached anu.

I'd say that my first week or so was pretty good. But my god there is so so so much reading to do in law.
I guess though it evens out as there is hardly anything to do in psych so it is all good.

My suggestion for parking is a) if you can, get there before 9 am or after 3 pm. Usually past these times, you can find a place. If not, sometimes driving around for about ten minutes or so looking in obscure places helps
b) otherwise, try parking at some of the free places in the suburbs around the place or in the city. For only a ten minute walk (work off lunch) it is sometimes more time efficient to just go there

I'm a townie, so I know what its like to have to go out of your way to meet new people etc. I have to say that it is a challenge (esp for someone who is as shy as me)

so if anyone else is in first year law or psych, come and say hi to me (i've got bright red hair).

:)
are you the one in the tues/thurs torts group session?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Nope, Im a psychology major.

I have my first ever class in the forestry building next week, but I think I know where that is.
Forestry is the building closest to ursies, on the inside it's made completly of wood. like everything has been made of wood, even the bench in the bathroom. The forestry lecture theatre is the only theatre on the first floor (entrance is right near the stairs). If you arrive late the 'quiet entrance' is at the top of the stairs in the corner (on the side that faces sulleys creek)

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
where the hell's that

i shit you not the only lecture theaters i know of are:

- MCC
- copland

and i'm in my third year. i've probably discovered 5% of ANU and i doubt i'll get to see much more than that. :( i guess

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
jason, if you're walking from hancock toward ursies/johns. After you cross the road (the turning circle), there is a large building infront of you that says 'biological sciences' or something like that. There's some green doors to the right, thats the robertson lecture theatre.

robertson lecture theatre, anu, canberra - Google Maps (it's the building right up the back)

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
ah i see.

i think i walked past the so called "wooden" lecture theaters... between Hancock and CSIRO right? wouldn't mind having a lecture there.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
nah i think thats bambi and some prefab offices? or the ANU caryard??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)