Best financial institution to join in the ACT? (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Having just moved to Canberra, I was dismayed to find my choosing institution, the 'greater building society', does not have branches in this part of the country.

They were great, no fees ever (unless you make heaps of irregular withdrawals in a month), good service.

I'd prefer not to go with one of the major banks if possible.

I'm not a student this year, so I want an account with no fees for all general customers, not some special student rates.

Account keeping fees are bullshit. No one should pay them. Is there an institution that offers general ATM/banking accounts with no fees, operating in the ACT?

Any building societies/credit unions?

A second question, I've noticed signs around the streets proclaiming "speed camera's in the ACT", however, unlike in NSW, I've yet to see a sign saying "here is a speed camera, directly in front of you, slow down" or words to that effect.

All fixed speed camera's are sign posted with warnings in NSW. I drive all the major roads in the ACT, and I have not come across a sign indicating a specific speed camera in the ACT. I'm concerned. Are there fixed speed camera's I should be aware of on any major roads? Are fixed speed camera's un-signposted and hidden?

My GPS doesn't pick them up either.

Thank you for your consideration.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
There are some credit unions. I know nothing of them because I'm not a communist and I appreciate the sophisticated phone/internet banking offered by the big banks oh and the number of ATMs.

All fixed speed cameras in the ACT are signposted. So either you're blind or not driving on all the major roads. For instance top of my head theres one on the barton highway and monaro highway. The ones to watch for though are:
-red light cameras, these are also speed cameras. They can do either speed, the light or both. Examples on northbourne av at Dickson lights and London Ct intersection. Also Barry Drive and Marcus Clarke.
-Mobile speed cameras. Basically a speed camera in the back of a van. They have signs but they're pretty small. Usually see them on the centre island of dual-carriageway roads.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
How are they communist? Building societies are everything that's great about capitalism.

Australian banks are shit. Enjoy your $5 a month.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
I'd prefer not to go with one of the major banks if possible.
look at "service one", they have a place in union court just near the information desk.

A second question, I've noticed signs around the streets proclaiming "speed camera's in the ACT", however, unlike in NSW, I've yet to see a sign saying "here is a speed camera, directly in front of you, slow down" or words to that effect.
As far as i can tell, there are two types of speed traps.
1) Fixed Speed Cameras, usually very obvious because of two large poles (with metal boxes on top)
2) Mobile speed unit (a large Mercedes van parked incredibly close to the roads edge

Basically, don't speed and you shouldn't be concerned. If you get caught otherwise, it's your own fault. Apologies if you don't get breastfed 'speed camera ahead' signs like in NSW.

Sammy-Blue

HSC

All fixed speed camera's are sign posted with warnings in NSW. I drive all the major roads in the ACT, and I have not come across a sign indicating a specific speed camera in the ACT. I'm concerned. Are there fixed speed camera's I should be aware of on any major roads? Are fixed speed camera's un-signposted and hidden?

My GPS doesn't pick them up either.

Thank you for your consideration.
They're signed. Don't speed = problem solved.

The mobile vans are always in the same spot, there's a list of their location online somewhere.

Last edited:

Sammy-Blue

HSC
How are they communist? Building societies are everything that's great about capitalism.

Australian banks are shit. Enjoy your $5 a month.
Commbank waives fees if you're a student.

And yes, I read the entirety of your inital post.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I don't speed. Accidents happen.

Thanks, I'll join 'service one', although it could be better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)