Whats the ANU college life like? (1 Viewer)

ecokid101

HSC
Whats the ANU college life like

Money per week?

Room size, whats in a typical room (can we have TV/Fridge/Microwave?)

What sort of meals are there at catered colleges?

How far are the colleges from ANU, do you walk there? Or bike? Or Drive?

Easy to meet new people at ANU?

Hardcore parties everyday as seen in movies such as American Pie?

Do the college staff bother you for things such as room checkups or is it like freedom?

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Whats the ANU college life like

Money per week?
Catered colleges (Bruce, Ursies, Johns, Burgmann) are around $250-300 a week. Fenner and B&G (self-catered) are around $160 a week, Unilodge (also self-catered) has a massive range, $150-250.

Room size, whats in a typical room (can we have TV/Fridge/Microwave?)
Johns, Burgmann, Bruce all claim to have the largest rooms - in my experience, Bruce's are generally largest, but they're all about the same size really. It depends. At catered colleges, you can bring your own fridge or TV; neither is provided. Unilodge definitely provides TV, fridge, microwave. At most colleges though you should have fridge space in communal fridges, and there'd be microwaves in the communal kitchen. Every college (catered & self-catered) has common rooms with TVs with Foxtel on it. Some colleges have shared fridges.

What sort of meals are there at catered colleges?
Depends on the college. Bruce and Ursies use the same catering company; the food isn't too bad, but isn't special. Johns and Burgie are definitely worse.

How far are the colleges from ANU, do you walk there? Or bike? Or Drive?
Fenner is off campus (5min drive, 25 min walk). The rest are on campus, so barely a walk at all.

Easy to meet new people at ANU?
If you're at college (other than Ursies, Fenner, or Unilodge), then yes.

Hardcore parties everyday as seen in movies such as American Pie?
Not like American Pie - that's more house party style. College parties are at the college's bar, followed by heading out to Civic clubbing. Or just spontaneous drinking in a corridor followed by nudie runs. Either way, highly entertaining. It's pretty damn social...

Do the college staff bother you for things such as room checkups or is it like freedom?
Depends on the college, I think. Burgmann have to vacuum their own rooms, but Bruce have cleaners for that (in the catered section, at least). There's a fair amount of freedom.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Depends on the college, I think. Burgmann have to vacuum their own rooms, but Bruce have cleaners for that (in the catered section, at least). There's a fair amount of freedom.
Yep, as above

UL, fenner, Burgmann, Ursies all vacuum their own rooms (i'm not sure about b&G - blacksunset can probably tell you)

Johns, Bruce have cleaners that come in once a week.

As far as inspections go. If you go a a place that doesnt vacuum, you will get inspected once or twice a term. They will increase the number of inspections if your room is dirty (or they may just have a 1 week follow up inspection). At the ones that clean, they come in every week and have a general look, if you've left dead hookers and mouldy food around, then they will ask you to clean it up - otherwise they are pretty laid back.

I've been at college for 3 years, my room goes in 3 days cycles of ccleanliness to dirty - i've never been in trouble. The people who have been in trouble had 40 pizza boxes, and 3 garbage bins worth of trash. etc

Hope this helps.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
regarding most of the things like room size, it's all kind of relative. Like johns cupboards are alot bigger than bruces, so you get more storage, but less floor space. TBH it's all kind of the same. B&G however are smaller. My advice is to go to open day (see FAQ) and check 'em all out for yourself. I may even be doing tours!

g4geexa

HSC
How many people do you have to share the rooms with? Is it just yourself???

Is internet provide too?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
you'll never have to share a room with someone (unless you moved into a twin share postgrad room or something), don't sweat, you won't even get offered one of those in first year. You will get room mates (at Unilodge etc), but everyone has their own rooms (locked)

All rooms @ any college has ethernet connection. See FAQ for further details on internet charges/usage.

g4geexa

HSC
Is there a 'best' and 'worst' college?

If I use Centrelink's help, will that be enough to pay for accomodation?

mmm_brrraains

HSC
N/A
Depends what level of Centrelink assistance you'd be receiving.
Unless you're very good at being frugal and/or don't mind living on 2 minute noodles, if Centrelink is your only means of financial support (even if you're getting the full amount), you might find it pretty tough. You should check out some of the accommodation scholarships the ANU offers.

here's a link to the ANU residential college price list.

http://accom.anu.edu.au/UAS/1782/ve...ary 2009 v 5.pdf?branch=main&language=default

g4geexa

HSC
Um, are there many cultures down there? I don't mean to be rude, but there are an awful amount of asian people in sydney, which isn't good when 100 people like up for a bus. Particularly on Eddy ave.

Oh and where do you go if you just want to browse the net. ie. Facebook, without paying alot for internet? Is there any public internet connections free to use at ANU?

Are sporting events based in the colleges or the university? (facilities like tennis courts, basketball courtsm, swimming pools, gyms etc..)

Where do the differences in self catered weekly tariffs all come down to?

Nivi7

HSC
Um, are there many cultures down there? I don't mean to be rude, but there are an awful amount of asian people in sydney, which isn't good when 100 people like up for a bus. Particularly on Eddy ave.

Oh and where do you go if you just want to browse the net. ie. Facebook, without paying alot for internet? Is there any public internet connections free to use at ANU?

Are sporting events based in the colleges or the university? (facilities like tennis courts, basketball courtsm, swimming pools, gyms etc..)

Where do the differences in self catered weekly tariffs all come down to?
Heya!!!

No matter where you go, you're bound to run into asians and ANU's no exception. The only difference is that the asian population isn't as insane as, let's say, UNSW. You're less likely to frequent asians in arty subjects, e.g. law, arts, music & drama, compared to something commerce related. When you walk into one of the commerce/eco lecture theatres, you'll realise why:)

If you want to browse the internet for free, you can use the campus computers. I think most residences have their own computer lab where you can access the net with around 1Gb downloads per day. Or, if you had a laptop, you could connect to the uni's wireless system (from the library or the lecture theatres) and access the internet that way. I think it just eats up your daily Gb allowance so it's free.

There are frequent interhall sporting competitions each semester. I think some of the sports are rubgy, basketball, hockey, cricket???,softball etc. There's a gym and tennis court on campus and I'm pretty sure you can play stuff lyk squash, etc, at the fitness centre. Not sure abt da swimming pool, though...

I have no idea what your final question means...

Hope this helps:)

g4geexa

HSC
Wow that sounds really good. I'm sick of Sydney so yeah, I wanna get out of home, with a reasonable excuse (sick of parents telling me what to do etc...)

So did you see many asians doing science? (aiming B. science(psychology)

What I meant to say was, why is there a large price difference in self catered colleges? say Bruce Hall-Packard Wing at @ $202 and then University House with $145? Is there something I'm missing?

Oh and where do I shower? I'm guessing in a large room with other people of the same gender, like at a swimming pool in sydney? (oh yeah and I just remembered some swimming pools only open in summer in canberra :mad1:)

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Wow that sounds really good. I'm sick of Sydney so yeah, I wanna get out of home, with a reasonable excuse (sick of parents telling me what to do etc...)
Thats EXACTLY why i moved here, from syd too! lolz
So did you see many asians doing science? (aiming B. science(psychology)
i spose just a normal amount? you're going to get more doing business/accounting etc.
What I meant to say was, why is there a large price difference in self catered colleges? say Bruce Hall-Packard Wing at @ $202 and then University House with $145? Is there something I'm missing?
UH is Postgrad only, you won't get into Bruce Packard unless you are a 3rd year bruce resident, or you have negotiated with Bruce directly

Oh and where do I shower? I'm guessing in a large room with other people of the same gender, like at a swimming pool in sydney? (oh yeah and I just remembered some swimming pools only open in summer in canberra :mad1:)
Nah, everywhere has separate cubicals. The bathrooms may be either uni sex or separate depending on the college. Either way, they will be locked cubicals

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Also, anu doesnt have a swimming pool, but you can go to dickson pool, AIS, or Civic pool.

g4geexa

HSC
Yeah alright.

I spoke to my parents about it last night and I think I might have some distant relatives in canberra, but I have no idea where they live..

From what I hear, the social life in uni is like the best social life you'll have in your youth.

Now I don't want to have to stay in another 'home' with relatives, although, I have met them and they are nice and friendly, but that's beside the point.. Should I save on accommodation and stay with them, (for how long I don't know) or should I stay at a college?

College looks more enticing since, there would be heaps of people around MY AGE! (I just don't know if I'll get financial support from my parents)

And one more thing, why does Burgmann college look more modern than the rest of the colleges (maybe bruce hall is on par)?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
College is very exciting, and well worth it - especially in first year. It's great in first year because you can meet new uni students, team up with group assessments, have a social life organised for you, and just get into the whole college atmosphere. However, it all depends on your financial situation. I would advise to intend to stay @ college for your first year minimum, most people seem to stay for 2.

tbh, i dont think 'distant' relatives are going to let you live in their house for free for 3 years, but anyway....

Burgmann isn't any more "modern" that any of the other colleges on Daley road. Actually the only one that's actually been updates/built recently is UL. The other colleges are progressivly updating their rooms, but they all haven't completed it though. The burgmann photo might just be a new room.

I strongly advise you to come up on open day, you get to see ALL the colleges, and it will really narrow down which one you would like to go to. See FAQ for dates, and how to get to canberra.

g4geexa

HSC
No, I'll have to pay I know that, I spoke to my auntie today (they're my aunties relatives) and she couldn't understand why I wanted to go to canberra, it's too hard to convince her, so I just said, oh it's the best uni in the southern hemisphere dadada.. USyd is ranked 46 but ANU is ranked 16 in the world... and so on..

I'll probably pay half of what it is for the tariff at a college, 150 a week I'm guessing? (and then centrelink can support me wooo)

But I still want to stay in a college. It's like a camp minus the mofos at your school right?

I will take a look when the open day comes closer, but if I'm forced to stay in my relatives home (I think they have a son going to uni 2010 too), will I be missing out on much?? Are all the parties inside the colleges or at the uni bar?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
But I still want to stay in a college. It's like a camp minus the mofos at your school right?
i don't know what you mean? it's like camp?? it's lie boarding, just without the rules, and not gay.
I will take a look when the open day comes closer, but if I'm forced to stay in my relatives home (I think they have a son going to uni 2010 too), will I be missing out on much??
already answered this.

Are all the parties inside the colleges or at the uni bar?
Usually they start int he college tavern, then they progress out into the bars/clubs in the city.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)