Transferring to ANU. Your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

abyrne1

HSC
I'm in my third year of study at Edith Cowan University in Perth (2 years of education, this year I'm studying Arts (Political Science/History) and have come to the conclusion that if I want to get anywhere in politics, I seriously need to find a better university. I started with ECU for teaching because it's the best for it, but for some stupid reason decided to run with it when I switched courses.

Put it this way, there are about 6 notable graduates. 4 are from WAAPA (West Australian Academy of Performing Arts) which is attached to the campus.

It is the "super-tafe" after all (you can fail TEE and still get it eh..)

So, I'm making the giant leap across the Nullarbor to study at ANU next year.

I'm just wondering on the admissions. No one in Student Central can give me a straight answer until I apply (which is in August), but I'm wondering if I'll qualify (I don't know how selective it is). I hope to be doing a Bachelor of Arts (Political Science/International Relations)

TER- 84.3
Plus (by then) 3 years of teritary education (1 year of Arts).

And also, Advanced Standing? Is that selective too?

And I'm thinking of staying in the UniLodge. I qualify for enough centrelink to pay all of my accommodation (shy of $50 a fortnight) as I have been independant from my folks for about 2 years now. I also plan to get a part time job in hospitality. Any reviews on the Lodge?

Yay! I'm so excited. I just want to hear any thoughts on the uni. Whats good about it, what isn't so good...

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
You would probably need to find out whether you apply directly to the university, or through the UAC (from memory this is based on age). IMO you would be better off through the uni, because they will take your uni results into consideration. I don't think your UAI would be enough to get you in, (just), but 3 years of tertiary education would pull you well over the line. They are also likely to give you credits for the courses done over there, even if they are just x "generic science units".

UNiLodge is new, nice and clean. However it is expensive and it is run like a hotel 'thanks for the moeny, and stfu'. UL1 has been critisized by many for taking advantage of students, and placing many fines on students for scratches on table tops that they apparently didnt do etc etc. UL2 (kinloch) is run by different management and is the nicer of the two, however it's still very expensive. Have a read of the FAQ, i've really tried to put in as much about the colleges as possible.

I'm sorry i dont know much about some of your other questions, hopefully the others can fill you in.

Andi0390

HSC
If you are applying for a straight Bachelor of Arts then last years entrance was 80 and if you have pass/credits from you current year I think you will be okay. If you are applying for an International studies Arts its higher, but look into that. If you have read the stickies in the transfer section in the General University Discussion there is a thread with an attached PDF with how GPA's and selection ranks are processed with regards to transfers.

Are you on Centrelink now? If you are ignore this, but if not be aware that officially Centrelink only supports you in education equivalent to your highest qualification. That means that if you have completed a Bachelor of Teaching (or whatever it is called) then a Bachelor of Arts will be only equivalent to your highest qualification, which means they will not pay you. While this is their official policy I am not sure how closely it is followed.

Out of all the accommodation options people seem most disappointed with UniLodge. Its not owned by the university and just seems rather separate from it all. I would rather share than go to UniLodge personally. There is a fair bit of employment in Canberra so you should be able to find a job.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
mark this on your calander - 29 August, 9am to 4pm

open day for ANU

breezy221090

HSC
I think there might be only one college owned by the university now, but most of them are privately owned so we'll just make that clear before we start.

I can't comment on the transfer thing. But aspects of unilodge are dodgy but what seemed to concern people on these forums was that there was no social life and whatever. Unilodge is probably a rip off, but there is a social life and it has the best location out of all of the colleges (super close to city). If you're looking for something more independant but also want to meet a lot of people then unilodge is probably a good option. Note that finding places to live in the city of Canberra (close to ANU) is very hard and rent is much more expensive then every other capital city except Sydney. Davey Lodge has a good sense of community this year. But I would try to get into Kinloch if I could. Everyone who is part of the community at Davey will probably move to Kinloch next year anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)