Commerce/arts Usyd Or Anu (1 Viewer)

MAD MAXI

Hey i am looking at doing commerce/arts at either sydney or anu.

has anyone here got any suggestions, anyone doing it? or is anyone else here in same situation as me?

your help is much appreciated

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah im doing my hsc in 2004 but im alredy thinking abt doing the arts, commerce, international relations course or sumthing like that (im not too well versed in uni-speak). but the thing is i live in sydney so im not too sure abt nething really. cant help u much but hey! its nice to noe ur not the only battling that problem eh? theres so much arguement about the different unis, im alredy confused!:(

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i WAS in the same situation as you!! but i didn't get my D average to trasnfer into arts/commerce at usyd. i'm considering ANU but then i'd have to move out, which i'm not looking forward too, plus i haven't organised any type of accomodation so i'm kinda stuck...

but i say, if you live in sydney, and you got the required uai to get into usyd, go to usyd.

bt3000

i'm at the ANU. did the HSC in 2002. moving out isn't such a big deal - you'll have to do it eventually :p. i live at a college and it's great. very social, meet lots of new people. there are very well qualified staff. over 80% have Phds compared to an avg of 50% at other unis. 2/3 of the uni is dedicated to research. it has an unmatched research reputation (which brings in the $$$$$$$$ by the way). it has exchanges with some of the best unis.. eg. Oxford & Cambridge.

don't let the UAIs fool you. it isn't any easier at the ANU. in fact it's probably harder. esp. for economics. there's a 50% fail rate for micro 1 and macro 1.

i chose to go to the ANU even though my UAI was more than 20 marks over what i needed. it's a personal choice.. whichever uni you go to, make sure you look at all aspects of the uni, not just the academic..

that's my $0.02.. hope it's of some help :)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
where were u living b4? in sydney? wats the atmosphere at ANU like, cause im not going to b able to drive the 3hrs to the open day to see it first hand unfortunately:( . my main wirry is moving but i've honestly never considered ANU before but now....its probably my top choice

bt3000

Originally posted by Sarah168
where were u living b4? in sydney? wats the atmosphere at ANU like, cause im not going to b able to drive the 3hrs to the open day to see it first hand unfortunately:( . my main wirry is moving but i've honestly never considered ANU before but now....its probably my top choice
hi there.. yes i'm originally from sydney.

how a person perceives the atmosphere on campus to be depends on many things. eg. living on or off campus. can speak from personal experience only! i live on campus and there's always a lot going on at the college i'm at. guest speakers (for each faculty), bar nights (burgmann has its own bar), fashion parade, bush week (uni wide - def. some craziness going on during this time), IB, inter-hall/college sports.. there's much more that i can't think of at the top of my head. you can also join committees to organinse these sorts of things. there many people at college who study law - and if you don't know it yet, they're probably the biggest party animals :) if you're the clubbing type, tuesdays, fridays and saturdays (and just bout every other day for some people) are good.

at the uni level there are plenty of clubs (sporting, social & academic) to join.

so really it depends on the individual. some people like it and some don't. and if you don't it isn't the end of the world!

cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)