Prospective student (1 Viewer)

b-anna

HSC
N/A
Coming to ANU for uni 2010 is one of my first priorities at the moment. i live about 5 hours away, so i want to come and take a look at the uni as well as the city (i've only ever done tourist-y activities such as parliament, war memorial...). i'm aware that there's an open day on the 29th august however i can't be up there that day (it's not a possibility at all).

two of my friends and i are planning to drive up for the 27th-28th june. we want to get a feel for the uni, as well as the city (specifically the law & arts faculties as well as uni life). can you suggest some activities for us (we can extend our stay for another day if necessary)? could we possibly get a tour? could we check out the on-campus accommodation? we won't yet be 18, but what parts of the city should we check out?

thanks for any advice.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Firstly decide if you would like to go catered or self catered (so essentially start the "steps for choosing accomodation" on the FAQ page). See if you're able to cut a few undergrad halls out, then go and call each one and ask for a tour. I'd say leave 45 minutes for each one, so if people get you talking, then its not the end of the world - you can always rock up at the next one early "hey we just arrived a little bit early and thought we would drop by, we can wait if the tour guide isnt ready".

I'm sure you could contact the arts/law faculties and ask for a tour, or even have a gander through their facilities - however it's likely to be locked up if it's the weekend. Check on the anu website, there are student lead tours there somewhere.

I live at Johns so if they are slow to organise stuff, give me a buzz and i'll give you a tour (provided i'm not on a field trip!). I'm also happy to show you guys union court, the main library etc, but because i'm not law/arts, i don't know much about them.

As far as the city goes, you could have lunch down at the National Museum of australia? It's right at the botttom of the anu pennisular. You could gander into civic, or head over to the national library. I think if you do everything on this list, your day will be pretty much over, i can think of more to do if you need it.

Andi0390

HSC
The time you are planning to go isn't probably the best. I think its in the school break, or very near it, so you won't be able to get a real feel about the students and the atmosphere, and many of the buildings may be locked up. If you could go a week or two earlier, or a month or so later, everything would probably be much better to see. Even if you go later in the year, after applications have closed, as you can put down up to nine (?) preferences and change them right up to near the date results are given out. You could just put ANU on your list as well as your back ups, and if you don't like it, move it down. I think it would be much better for you if you came while there were students in. I looked at Macquarie during a break and I was turned off it because it felt so desolate and empty.

If you call admissions and explain your situation then you should be able to arrange a tour, where you can ask questions and see your specific subject areas, along with the library etc. As Dave said you would probably have to arrange accommodation tours separately, so look at your potential housing and decide which ones you would really be interested in, although be aware that you may not get you first choice, or second or third, as housing on campus is quite difficult. If you can only come during that time and if you can't get a tour, I can walk you through the Chifley Library, AD Hope and Copland, which is basically where the Arts courses are, but they are quite boring, and I don't know much about law.

There isn't much to do in Canberra, but if you are considering living off campus, look at the surrounding suburbs of the inner north. Maybe walk through Civic, as that will be your local shopping district.

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
I do law, so if i'm free I can walk you through the law faculty and the law library. That said, I'm quite sure the faculties will be staffed, and someone there can provide a more 'official' tour.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)